Summilux 28 now out!

matlep

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If anyone is seriously interested but unsure would be worth reading (through subscription) Sean Reids revue of prototype which includes accurate size data and viewfinder blockage % with and without hood. It is tested against 28 Summicron in the review. It would not be fair to publish this information without supporting Sean.

The English technical document (PDF) I saw tonight has several mistakes.

It does not show MTF curves for f1.4, but for f2.0, there is an "aspherical surface" mark in the place of the diaphragm in the optical layout drawing and the drawing with the longitudinal "cut" of the lens lacks the last lens element:

Leica_SUMMILUX-M_28_MM_14_ASPH_04_A.jpg

The last lens element is not here:

Leica_SUMMILUX-M_28_MM_14_ASPH_03_A.jpg

Edited by rosuna

If anyone is seriously interested but unsure would be worth reading (through subscription) Sean Reids revue of prototype which includes accurate size data and viewfinder blockage % with and without hood. It is tested against 28 Summicron in the review. It would not be fair to publish this information without supporting Sean.

I've have a subscription to his site for a few years and have read this review of Sean's when it was released.

I have a lot of respect for the rigour with which he does his lens comparisons (albeit maybe a bit too much fruit  ;) ), however I was not impressed with that particular review with respect to the comparison wiht the 28 Summicron ASPH. The lens performed terribly and Sean himself wrote that he may have had a compromised Summicron. This should have definitively resolved one way or the other before publishing. Therefore, unfortunately I think little can be made of his comparison between the 28 Summilux and Summicron.

Edited by MarkP

It is surprising the low distortion of this lens... 

It is well below 1% at the maximum... a 28mm with f:1.4 max aperture!

This was the most surprising point of the Technical Data PDF... 

The MTF curves look very well but I see a great separation of sagittal and tangential curves, every where, at all apertures in all the image circle. I am not an optical expert... how this translates to image quality?

[...] I have a lot of respect for the rigour with which he does his lens comparisons (albeit maybe a bit too much fruit  ;) ), however I was not impressed with that particular review with respect to the comparison wiht the 28 Summicron ASPH. The lens performed terribly and Sean himself wrote that he may have had a compromised Summicron. This should have definitively resolved one way or the other before publishing. Therefore, unfortunately I think little can be made of his comparison between the 28 Summilux and Summicron.

+1. Reminds me Tim Ashley. These guys are very nice but they should refrain from reviewing faulty lenses like that.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/210636-tim-ashley-on-m240-and-28-cron/

• Like 2

I won't be selling my 28 Summicron any time soon, unless the new lens really shows that it can totally replace it.  I have three 50s and this will be my second 28 - an indication of my preferred focal lengths.

The 81mm length of the lens kind of puts me off a bit...

• Like 1

All this convinces me that the 28/2.8 is the lens for a Leica with its diminutive size and decent image quality. Remember we are talking Leica lenses here so are we not over the top sometimes in comparing Leica lenses? Ever since getting the APO50 I am liking smaller, not bigger, Leica lenses. 

• Like 3

To me it's like the 24lux in size and so it's too big for a 28mm lens. I own the 24 lux and I'm very very happy with it but I always wanted a 28lux as second standard lens (standard in my perspective; I normally use a 35mm). I've waited so long for this lens and suddenly it's too big. These new lenses are marvelous but they aren't of the right size for a Leica M body. APO50 is not little but it's not big and performances are stellar, is the right size of modern era. A 28mm/1.4 in the same size would be surely possible and with 2000-3000$ more Leica would sell them in the same numbers, because it's already is in a high-price class.

Actually I don't know if I'll buy it or if I'll go with the summicron.

81mm is with the hood on but 67mm w/o hood remains too bulky a 28 for my tastes, on a RF body at least, and i've decided to postpone my M purchases as long as i don't know if the M mount will be retained for the next bodies anyway so i will stick to my 28/2 and 28/2.8 asph for now. 

Edited by lct

Lou, one does need his fix of Lux nonetheless :D. For a 28 shooter, this might be it. From Jono's short review, this lens is no-where near 81mm long, it's just a bit longer than the Lux 35 FLE.

The data sheet says 81mm? What gives?

Edited by matlep

I'm sure its a cracking lens. It looks very contemporary Leica. However it is not a lens I crave. I'm perfectly happy with my 28/2 and ColorSkopar 28 ltm. Like Jaap I really like the Summicron, I learned to love it on the M8.

Much better for me that Leica launches lenses like the wide 'luxes which I don't want.

Cheers, Carl

• Like 3

81mm is with the hood, 67mm bare.

But I don't think it really works bare - it's clearly designed to be used WITH the lens hood - like the 35 FLE

I sold the 24 'lux because it was too big . . . . . . but I don't find this to be a problem 

Perhaps these snaps help?

MP050461.jpg

MP050457.jpg

• Like 8

I think the proportions is more like this, 81mm?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7