Summilux 28 now out!

matlep

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wish you were right but all Leica sources state that the maximum length is 81mm so far...

If you to trust your eyes and a ruler, look here:

http://leicarumors.com/2015/05/06/a-regular-leica-summilux-m-f1-4-asph-lens-to-be-available-soon.aspx/leica-summilux-m-f1-4-asph-lens/

this simple procedure results in  56 mm length without hood. Some people own this lens,  they could clarify this point

The Technical PDF shows a distortion lower than 1,1%, but the instructions PDF says it is 1,1%.

Those two documents are contradictory!!!!

A little disaster.

I remember problems with the MTF graphs of the Summilux 24mm and 21mm years ago. 

I would recommend Leica a revision of those two PDFs allocated at the Summilux 28mm's site!!!!

I remember problems with the MTF graphs of the Summilux 24mm and 21mm years ago. 

I would recommend Leica a revision of those two PDFs allocated at the Summilux 28mm's site!!!!

The really good question is where did the MTF charts come from. They show much worse performance than the ones in the manual (supposedly correct ones). Note that they start from f2 and are not good for a 28mm lens. I don't recognize them, but they seem to belong to a f2 wide angle lens, perhaps super wide. My wild guess: These are coming Summicron 18 curves. :rolleyes:

May happen... 

[...] The Technical PDF shows a distortion lower than 1,1%, but the instructions PDF says it is 1,1% [...]

The English technical data say "a maximum of 1.1% (pulvinate)". Means pincushion i guess.

The really good question is where did the MTF charts come from. They show much worse performance than the ones in the manual (supposedly correct ones). Note that they start from f2 and are not good for a 28mm lens. I don't recognize them, but they seem to belong to a f2 wide angle lens, perhaps super wide. My wild guess: These are coming Summicron 18 curves. :rolleyes:

Aha--- ;) can be a joke of "viral marketing" from Leica... :p

It would indeed be very helpful if anyone has this lens and would kindly provide a photo of it in a line up with other current Leica lenses. The 81mm cannot be right, surely? 61mm perhaps?

Look how that stacks up in a line up. (I have included the 75 Lux in here, which is still 1mm shorter than the stated length for the 28 Lux!). Such a length would put it in a uniquely poor position. Both the 21 and 24 Luxes are long, but require an external OVF/EVF/LV for framing, so viewfinder blockage is less of an issue. And at the longer end - 75mm+, tighter tramlines takes care of some blockage. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(Sorry to have gone all Ken Rockwell-like on this!)

A quick comparison. (One would assume the bayonet mount is the same on all M lenses)

But it is not 81mm with the hood.

Edited by matlep
  • Like 2

I'll post this yet again!

This is lifted directly from the Leica AG website instruction manual download for the 1.4/28.

There is clearly a typo regarding the length of the lens without the hood. With hood it is 67mm!

The other question is whether widest diameter includes the focusing tab or hood.

Edited by MarkP

Well I'll post it yet again!

This is lifted directly from the Leica AG website instruction manual download for the 1.4/28.

There is clearly a typo regarding the length of the lens without the hood. With hood it is 67mm!

The other question is whether widest diameter includes the focusing tab or hood.