Summilux 28 now out!

matlep

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for everyone's comments on the 50 APO-Summicron c/w 50 Summilux ASPH and use with the 28 Summicron ASPH. Very helpful.

Given the 28 SX is the latest 28mm, and there are now 3 on the market, I doubt Leica will produce what I really want leap at - an updated 28mm Cron, along the design principles of the 50 APO. That said, I feel no special urge for that - I am very happy with the 28 Cron. 

But the 28 Summicron is 14 years old, albeit still a great lens. I wonder whether in the long-term it will be continued, replaced with a FLE (±APO) version, or dumped altogether (within the WA range Leica has dropped the mid-speed lenses (ie the 21 & 24 f2.8s).  

Thanks for everyone's comments on the 50 APO-Summicron c/w 50 Summilux ASPH and use with the 28 Summicron ASPH. Very helpful.

But the 28 Summicron is 14 years old, albeit still a great lens. I wonder whether in the long-term it will be continued, replaced with a FLE (±APO) version, or dumped altogether (within the WA range Leica has dropped the mid-speed lenses (ie the 21 & 24 f2.8s).  

The only updated needed by the Summicron 28mm is the sun hood... a new design similar to that of the 35mm Summilux is necessary.

Is this an easy task? Maybe it implies a serious redesign of the objective... 

But the 28 Summicron is 14 years old, albeit still a great lens. 

The 35mm Summicron ASPH is what, 17? It will be interesting to watch what Leica does here. Its continued commitment to film (M-A and the a la carte program) and the need to attract new users makes a 28 F/2 pretty handy to have in your line-up. 2.8 is easy when you have ISO 12500 available; not as much if your ceiling is 400. And how many 'young' new users can pony up for the 1.4? Maybe Leica has the money to batch and shelve slow moving but unchanging designs, they don't really go through Noctiluxes that fast, do they?

s-a

The only updated needed by the Summicron 28mm is the sun hood... a new design similar to that of the 35mm Summilux is necessary.

I use the Leica 12589 lenshood on my 28 Summicorn, probably for the reasons that concern you. It works very well indeed. It is plastic and does not incorporate the recent Leica-patented screw-on feature, but it does the job very well with a secure lenscap too.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No doubt operator error, but my Summicron can be excellent and it can be almost mushy.  But even when excellent it is not quite in the rarified heights of the wide Elmars; the rendition is gentler.

I agree for images on the M240.

But on the MM, my 28 Summicron is nearly as snappy as my Elmars. Could it be that the chromatic alignment transmitted by the older Summicron is not as good as the newer Elmars? Perhaps some of our lens design experts can weigh in on this?

Comparing Jono's lenses above (sorry for the dirty tweaks) and given that the length of the 35/1.4 FLE is 58mm with hood, that of the 28/1.4 with hood must be around 68mm.

To compare close lenses with hoods on (or extended), the 21/1.4 is 77mm long, the 24/1.4: 75mm, the 50/1.4 asph: 64mm and the 50/2 apo: 57mm.
Given that the Nikkor 28/1.4 must be around 77mm, i suspect that the Summilux is the shortest 28/1.4 ever made but i may be wrong.

Hi there

well, I measured it with the hood, and it's 68.5 mm from the front of the hood to the face of the lens mount. 

• Like 5

I was surprised to read Jono's assessment of the 28 Summicron as being a bit "ordinary". I have been very happy with mine apart from its tendency to disintegrate, with the front section coming unscrewed. The "soft as cheese" tiny grub screws holding the front section in place are now chewed up to the extent after many tightenings, that they can't be tightened any more, even with the correct sized expensive A+F Swiss screwdriver.

Obviously I am just not fussy enough about my results  :), as I have found the 28 Summicron to be just fine and a whole lot better than the 28mm length of my MATE.  So on that basis, I am going to stick with my Summicron. I find I use my 35 ASPH Summicron a lot more than my 35 ASPH Chrome Summilux, just because it is so much easier and lighter to carry around. I feel I might end up in the same situation, were I to get a 28 Summilux. If I ever want more contrast, I can put on my Zeiss 28-85 f3.3 Vario Sonnar, which is the highest contrast lens I have but you need a truck to carry around this 16 element monster with 82mm front filter ring. 

Wilson

That would be a nice but expensive upgrade if nothing else is modified.  

I NEVER use the original hood - it is disgusting as HCB would say!

I use either:

the pedestrian but effective plastic Summilux-M 1:1.4/35mm ASPH ens Hood - code#12 589

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/12589

or

my favourite very elegant (but outrageously, dare I say disgustingly, expensive) metal lens hood for M 1.4/35mm ASPH. (11 874), M 2/28mm ASPH (11 604), M 2.8/28mm (11 089) - code#12 466

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/12466 

It is also not too difficult to snap on a standard 46mm lens cap. 

• Like 2

I use a Contax GG1 black anodised titanium hood, and Contax cap, which seems to provide enough shade, does not vignette, weighs next to nothing and is very neat. It was a left over from having a Contax G anniversary outfit a few years ago and then was fitted on the 28/2.8 Biogon G. It also has the advantage that it does not "torque" the front section, when removing the lens cap, which as I posted above and like I understand, many other folks' 28 ASPH Summicrons, has a tendency to come unscrewed. You are also not tempted to use the lens cap to remove the lens, as with the original hood, where it is difficult to get your fingers in behind it to grip the lens body. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 4

Hi there

well, I measured it with the hood, and it's 68.5 mm from the front of the hood to the face of the lens mount. 

Would you mind measuring it without the hood and also post a picture how it looks without it? Cheers!

Would you mind measuring it without the hood and also post a picture how it looks without it? Cheers!

Hi There 

I'm not at home right now (and the lens is).

What I can tell you is that you wouldn't use it without the lens hood - the front element is very exposed, and it's clearly designed to be used with it.

In terms of other comments about size - I think it handles quite well, doesn't seem large, and the viewfinder blanking with the cutaway filter is not too bad. I've had the 24 summilux in the past and the 90 'cron, and a long term loan of the 75 'lux - all of these lenses are (to my mind) too big for comfortable use. But not the 28 'lux.

• Like 2

I was surprised to read Jono's assessment of the 28 Summicron as being a bit "ordinary". I have been very happy with mine apart from its tendency to disintegrate, with the front section coming unscrewed. The "soft as cheese" tiny grub screws holding the front section in place are now chewed up to the extent after many tightenings, that they can't be tightened any more, even with the correct sized expensive A+F Swiss screwdriver.

Hi There Wilson

I hope you're flourishing

This isn't the result of lots of comparison tests, and it's certainly only meant to be my opinion rather than a statement of any kind of fact. Personally I much prefer the little 28 elmarit Asph which seems to me to be much 'crisper' than the summicron. But it's perfectly possible that I had a bad copy . . . added to which other's might consider it 'subtle' and prefer that to 'crisp'!

The new lux is (as one would expect) similar in 'feel' to the 21,24 and 35 lenses. . . . 

I didn't expect to want one when I was testing it, but I certainly don't regret buying it, it's a lovely lens.

• Like 2

I'm not at home right now (and the lens is).

What I can tell you is that you wouldn't use it without the lens hood - the front element is very exposed, and it's clearly designed to be used with it.

Thanks Jono, I totally understand. But I'm still curious too see what it looks like :) So when you get a chance. Please :)

• Like 1

Jono,

I am sitting inside in France, looking out at the pouring rain, with the valley far below swathed in low cloud but admiring a row of 11 Leica M and Zeiss lenses sitting on my shelf plus of course, what is mounted on my various M bodies.

Write out after me 100 times "I will not buy any more Leica lenses"  :)

Wilson

I know that technical figures are not everything but if you examine the MTF graphs for the 28 Summicron at f2.8 against the Elmarit wide open, you will see that the MTF's of the Summicron are higher and the curves for 40 lp/mm smoother. So that although the Elmarit has the reputation of being the sharper lens, the figures do not in fact bear that out. 

Wilson

PS This reputation may be something to do with micro-contrast and there the graphs don't help. It is always easy to think that a lens with higher contrast is sharper, when in reality it is not. W.

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1