Summilux 28 now out!

matlep

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Like John, I very much like the 28mm focal length.  I have the 2.0/28 Sumicron ASPH, and the ittle 28 Elmarit for when I'm travelling light (nice with the 50 Elmar-M and 4.0/90 Macro-Elmar).

However, any future decision regarding a 28 Summilux (which isn't on my radar just now as I don't yet see a use for it) will most definitely NOT include sale of my 28 Summicron.  There is just something about that 28 Summicron which I can't define but consistently seems to produce so many of my favourite photographs.

• Like 4

I wonder if in the next few years we'll see a new set of Apo Summicron lenses ... including a new 28 and 35 Apo Summicron. It would be interesting to have the same level of sharpness of the 50 Apo in a landscape lens...

I have wondered that too, but any new wider APO Summicrons would probably be even more expensive than the 50.

Cue the flood of 28 summicrons into the used market. With f/1.4 at one end and the tiny, tiny, superb Elmarit ASPH at the other the Summicron is all dressed up with nowhere to go. But I'd like one anyway...

s-a

I doubt that there will be a mass abandonment of 28 Summicrons for the 28 Summilux. Too good a lens that has been around for a long time.

• Like 3

I have wondered that too, but any new wider APO Summicrons would probably be even more expensive than the 50.

I'm afraid that's true, I believe in the meantime I'll stick with my current 28 summicron which still produces fantastic pictures!

• Like 1

"It completes the high speed prime lens family." From the Leica web page.

I guess that means no new 75 Summilux in the foreseeable future....

Well spotted.  Less concern about future Summilux GAS.

I'm very happy with my old 75 Summilux and 75 APO-Summicron.

I think they would struggle to get a new 75 Summilux to outperform the current 75 APO-Summicron and make it worth buying for one extra stop.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 3

I won't be selling my 28 Summicron any time soon, unless the new lens really shows that it can totally replace it. 

If these specs for the 28mm Summilux are correct (81mm long, 61mm wide, 440gm), especially it's length, it's a big bugger and would most definitely NOT be my go-to 28mm lens, nor is suspect yours.  I have found that over time, where I can, I try to take smaller lenses wherever possible.

I won't be selling my 28 Summicron any time soon, unless the new lens really shows that it can totally replace it.  I have three 50s and this will be my second 28 - an indication of my preferred focal lengths.

Same as me - two 28s and three 50s.  We still probably have some catching up to do compared to some Forum members  :rolleyes: .
Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

Unlikely!

Current line up - 15-21-28-35-50(3)-75-90!  I already struggle when choosing what to take.  75 Summilux is fabulous, but too close to the Noctilux to take both, 90 works flawlessly, with some of my sharpest images, but then there's no point in taking the 75.  Love the 28, but then I don't use the 35 so much.  The 21 is huge, and heavy, but goes well with the Noctilux, the 15 only goes with the Leica T, but guessing focus and framing is fun.  Then, there's the debate about which camera to take - gives me a headache ...

I bought a bigger bag (on Rick's advice - where is Rick?), and I don't carry that either ... useful, I guess if I'm driving and weight isn't a problem!

• Like 3

5,550 € in France.

Hard to beat the Summicron.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

This is a very different situation to the 21 and 24mm lenses where the Summiluxes are at least 2 1/2 stops faster than the next lens down at f3.4 and f3.8 respectively (albeit f2.8 for the older lenses).

The Summilux is twice the price, twice the length (& 1cm wider), and twice the weight for only one stop advantage over the Summicron, and the disadvantage of even further VF obstruction.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

The Summilux is twice the price, twice the length (& 1cm wider), and twice the weight for only one stop advantage over the Summicron, and the disadvantage of even further VF obstruction.

The same is true for Noctilux lenses.

But people buy a lens for the character, not for the speed.

... OK, some people buy a lens just to own "the best". And in that case, the Summilux wins too.

• Like 1

PS - the MTF curves are a bit odd.  In the Technical Data sheet, the widest MTF curve is for f/1:2.0, and the curves for 2.8 & 5.6 are wildly different in the manual compared to the data sheet.  If anyone puts a lot of stead by these, the MTF curves for the Summicron look way better ...  Useless information.  I wonder if Leica will actually correct this?

the widest MTF curve is stated at f2 in the english datasheet... at f1,4 (same chart) in the German datasheet... :rolleyes: ... considering also the different curves in the instructions, one can conclude that they have edited such publications with a level of care not up to the expectations for an item of such relevance... well, I admit I have never bought a lens basing my decision on MTF graphs, but when I am considering to spend 5-6KEuros on a product that has technical content and specs, I do pretend to have clear data published by the manufacturer... :wacko:

• Like 3