Strange white spots on M9 sensor?

Clong34

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M-E is still in the catalogue but hasn't been 'in stock' for some time. Presumably this is connected to the hiatus in the sensor supply chain.

Just as an update to my earlier post, I've been in the market for another 'M9' body and a couple of UK dealers have informed me that they received M-E bodies yesterday. Looks like there is still life in the 'M9' product line.:)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad about the happy ending.

A lesson constantly repeated here is, for quick turnaround, direct express courier to Solms, never through and agent or dealer. It will will cost a bit more but bareable and, subject to parts availability, will usually turn around to you in two weeks. Most of which is 'locked up' in Customs, unavoidably.

Afterthought: Also a good idea to follow up with a courtesy call to Solms CS, just to let them know you are a real person. ;)

Edited by erl

• 7 months later...
Anyone could post the first digits of what serial numbers were affected? I noticed spots on an M9 I was about to buy and it started with 3837XXX and my 39XXXXX has dead pixels with a blue thin line.

My M9, which was one of the earlier ones to show white spots, had its sensor replaced in 2010. It is serial number 3809869 (I am not coy/paranoid about showing whole serial numbers).

Wilson

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I get dust spots too, but 99% of them are invisible in pictures - other than of blank walls.

The 1% that can be seen are quickly fixed in PS or LR when viewed at 100%

No one viewing my 17 x 22 and larger prints has ever been jarred by even one speck

To me, this is equal to worrying your very expensive manual watch is off by 2 seconds a week. Not a worthwhile concern (unless of course the sensor is really damaged / defective)

I get dust spots too, but 99% of them are invisible in pictures - other than of blank walls.

The 1% that can be seen are quickly fixed in PS or LR when viewed at 100%

No one viewing my 17 x 22 and larger prints has ever been jarred by even one speck

To me, this is equal to worrying your very expensive manual watch is off by 2 seconds a week. Not a worthwhile concern (unless of course the sensor is really damaged / defective)

The white spots are a different order of magnitude from dust spots and with them, the M9 is in effect, unusable. The white spots lie between the coverglass and sensor and are not cleanable.

Wilson

I think I have the white spot problem too :( And it's pretty bad.

At first I thought it was dust, but dry and wet cleaning have done nothing to help the situation. I'm glad I found this thread. I'm sending my camera into Leica to get it checked out. It's out of warranty though, so I hope they don't make me pay for a new sensor...

15030079003_513cd12919_c.jpgL1014321 by photokalia, on Flickr

Edited by photokalia
insert photo

I think you will find that Leica take a very generous attitude to replacement sensors from this problem. They certainly repaired mine when it was just outside warranty. I assume they are taking the view that this is due to a manufacturing error on the sensor, with faulty sealing of the coverglass to the sensor.

Wilson

I think you will find that Leica take a very generous attitude to replacement sensors from this problem. They certainly repaired mine when it was just outside warranty. I assume they are taking the view that this is due to a manufacturing error on the sensor, with faulty sealing of the coverglass to the sensor.

Wilson

Thanks Wilson, I will hope for the best. The warranty on my camera expired in 2012, so it's been a while. I'll update on what Leica says.

Some additional info that may be of interest is that I was informed that the sensor replacement would be done in Singapore. So that's good news for those in Southeast Asia. But I'm not sure how big the repair facility is here, because they still estimated about a month to get the sensor replaced.

Film cameras still have to go back to Solms though.

At one point, people on the forum wondered if Leica was being indemnified by Kodak, given how generous they were being on out of warranty sensor replacements. However now that Image Sensor Solutions, Kodak's sensor division is the property of the private equity shark, Platinum Capital, I cannot see them paying out a bean without being taken to court, so it looks as if it IS just Leica being generous.

I have to admit to being worried that Blackstone will in due course, apply pressure on Leica to increase profit margins by eliminating what Blackstone would see as unnecessary expense. In other words, ex-gratia out of warranty repairs. The motto of all private equity sharks seems to be "never look at the long term, when you can trouser some extra dollars right now."

Wilson

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
At one point, people on the forum wondered if Leica was being indemnified by Kodak, given how generous they were being on out of warranty sensor replacements. However now that Image Sensor Solutions, Kodak's sensor division is the property of the private equity shark, Platinum Capital, I cannot see them paying out a bean without being taken to court, so it looks as if it IS just Leica being generous.

I have to admit to being worried that Blackstone will in due course, apply pressure on Leica to increase profit margins by eliminating what Blackstone would see as unnecessary expense. In other words, ex-gratia out of warranty repairs. The motto of all private equity sharks seems to be "never look at the long term, when you can trouser some extra dollars right now."

Wilson

Well, the Blackstones of this world have to comply by law...

Leica are just doing what they are required to do:

There are not only local laws pertaining to lasting a reasonable time and fit for purpose, the EU directives will give the same protection. Doing otherwise would result in lost lawsuits, which are even more expensive.

Edited by jaapv

Based on this thread, we feel the need to clarifying a couple of things about the sensor marks issue you have been experiencing. The issue is linked with corrosion effects on the cover glass of the CCD sensor in Leica M9, M9-P, M Monochrom and M-E cameras. They manifest themselves as marks on images captured at smaller apertures (f/5.6-22). The new Leica M (Type 240) with the CMOS sensor is not affected by this problem. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience encountered and we have set up the following scheme for servicing the sensors of the products affected. Please be aware that a contact-free cleaning of the sensor is essential in preventing the issue.

• Customer care will perform sensor cleaning free of charge by prior arrangement.

• In the case of damage as a result of corrosion, the sensor will be replaced free of charge up to three years following the date of purchase. Leica Camera AG will cover the full costs of replacement, amounting to 1,800 euros plus applicable VAT. This does not apply to sensors damaged by scratching or breakage of the sensor glass.

• In the fourth and fifth year following the date of purchase, sensors damaged by the corrosion effects described will be replaced for a fixed charge of 600 euros plus applicable VAT. Leica Camera AG will cover the remaining costs of 1,200 euros.

• In the sixth and seventh year following the date of purchase, sensor replacement will be offered at a fixed charge of 1,200 euros plus applicable VAT. Leica Camera AG will cover the remaining costs of 600 euros.

• For the eighth and more years following the date of purchase, sensor replacement will be offered at a fixed charge of 1,500 euros plus applicable VAT. Leica Camera AG will cover the remaining costs of 300 euros.

• The prices stated apply for direct shipment of the camera to Leica Customer Care in Wetzlar or the Customer Care department of a national distributor. Additional costs may arise when the camera is sent to Leica through a dealer.

• Mandatory warranty conditions will apply after customers have taken advantage of the extended goodwill arrangement.

• As longer waiting times may otherwise occur, the camera should only be sent to Customer Care after prior arrangement.

We will continue watching this thread so you are welcome to react here.

^JJ with Leica-camera

• Like 11

I am glad this issue is now out in the open and Leica have clarified the situation regarding costs. I've been aware for a while that there is no longer a blanket "free sensor replacement in perpetuity" policy at Leica so it is reassuring to some extent that the potential future costs are capped at 'subsidised' rates. It is, however, troubling that this problem exists at all. I'm also not sure how the new policy squares with Stefan Daniel's previous commitment in this forum that sensor problems not of the owner's making will be fixed free of charge (is this commitment restricted only to the sensor crack problem?).

Sensor cracks, now "corrosion". It's not great news however it is spun.:mad:

Please be aware that a contact-free cleaning of the sensor is essential in preventing the issue.

As far as I know Leica's own customer care still use contact methods of cleaning the sensor where necessary. It's a bit of a problem long term if a sensor cannot be cleaned by contact methods – especially when many cameras arrive with dirty sensors.

• Like 4