Strange white spots on M9 sensor?

Clong34

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmmm my M9 had exactly the same issue, and my local dealer (Taiwan) had sent it to Solms for repair, Leica told us that they would replace the sensor for free, even though it was out of warranty.

Yet be forewarned, my M9 was sent to Germany in late August and as up to today, still have not had it returned :( heard that they were out of replacement sensors--causing the delay. So not very happy, although my local dealer has let me use a loaner M9, when needed. But still not happy. So guess be patient when sending your defective M9 to Germany.:(

Chiptw, by the end of August you still have no news of your Leica? Incredible. I wrote an email a few days ago just to know what I should do. No one answered me. I decided that I will write again in the next few days before shipping the camera I would like to know how long I'll have to wait for the repair.

Edited by albertospa

Unfortunately I too have a similar problem, so many dots, on the sensor.

I've never cleaned the sensor.

Each spot has a dot inside.

Ten days ago I sent an email to Leica(customer service) with the file attached to ask what to do and a quote (the M9 is not under warranty anymore) but I have not received any reply.

Today I decided that I will be posting the M9 to Solms.

Hopefully everything goes well!:confused:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks Steve

But what may have been the cause, because I know others who have the same problem and also with M9 P new?

Then they certainly cannot be caused by time or work, either from moisture or other external agents, and the points are so regular that I think may be a electronic problem.

If you believe appropriate to list the serial number I can do, but then again it also happened in new cameras.

Sorry for my bad English

Thank you again

Best regards

Guglielmo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had similar problems; the solution is a sensor replacement which Leica have offered for free even though the camera is strictly out-of-warranty. However, the camera has been with Leica now for 3 months with no sign of a return date. The reason - the supply of sensors. I have no idea whether they have none or some; no idea of the likely time delay; no communication from Leica. Not really satisfactory for a premium brand.

Anyone else with similar experiences??

Good morning

Will probably not be an epidemic, though surely there must be a considerable number of M9 which change sensors, whereas here we are talking about over 3 months of waiting to replace a simple sensor. So either have many M 9 to replace the sensor or they have not any sensor!

This camera costs more than 5000 euro!!!!

I hope so much that this is not true and in no time my M9 returns home!!!!!!:confused:

Regards

Guglielmo

• Like 1

are these cases isolated ones or do we assist a general issue developping here?

The M9 is out in the field since 4 years now. May be it would be interesting to post the serial number of affected Bodies.

rgds

JPH

I was wondering the same. I've read quite a few reports on this issue on this forum. At least one where the camera went back twice for the same issue. Are the new sensors they put in 'fixed'?

My sensor was replaced out of warrenty (for free) earlier this year (somewhere around April). Same issue. But Leica didn't tell me what caused it. The camera was 2+ years old, just a few months out of warrenty, but the problem started earlier. Inspecting older photo's I'd say after 1.5 years.

Took Leica about 3 weeks to repair. No supply issues apparently back then.

Then you make a question: the new sensor no longer has the same problems of the past? If so then it means that before Leica assembled bad sensor?

Why Leica not explain the reason of this defect.

Automakers if have a congenital defect, warn customers and say what's wrong

Regards

Guglielmo

Then you make a question: the new sensor no longer has the same problems of the past? If so then it means that before Leica assembled bad sensor?

Why Leica not explain the reason of this defect.

Automakers if have a congenital defect, warn customers and say what's wrong

Regards

Guglielmo

Yes, well, at first I suspected mine was just an isolated incident, - I didn't press Leica for an answer - until I started reading the posts here. And I'm still not sure how 'isolated' these incidents are. It's hard to tell by just reading this forum.

Leica should know by now if this is a production fault of the sensor maker (I assume it is, seeing the free repairs out of warrenty and the fact I wasn't the only one) and can perhaps isolate which serial numbers are affected. On the other hand: it will show up at some point if it happens to you. Maybe they don't want to alarm all owners if they know it's just a handful of cameras or just one batch of bad sensors.

I didn't follow the 'crack' issue very closely, not sure if they ever communicated about that one.

My question is: is it something that can be prevented... e.g. does wet cleaning make it more likely for this defect to show up, is humidity a cause, or - as someone suggested - perhaps long exposures, making the sensor heat up.

And I don't mind so much, as long as it's repaired without crazy waiting times - for me Leica did a great job - but at some point in time, these sensors will run out completely.

I will be inspecting my new sensor a bit more regular...

I can say with absolute certainty that:

The sensor has this problem even on brand-new machines (M9P)

I have never cleaned the sensor with liquids.

I've never used long shutter speeds.

My M9 even if 2010 has less than 3000 shots.

So I can say with certainty that does not depend on use the faultiness of the sensor.

For sure the Leica knows causes, but not quite correctly says not.

However we hope that whoever produces the sensors have solved problems.

Regards

Guglielmo

• Like 1

Good morning

Will probably not be an epidemic, though surely there must be a considerable number of M9 which change sensors, whereas here we are talking about over 3 months of waiting to replace a simple sensor. So either have many M 9 to replace the sensor or they have not any sensor!

This camera costs more than 5000 euro!!!!

I hope so much that this is not true and in no time my M9 returns home!!!!!!:confused:

Regards

Guglielmo

Or they are working on the cause and remedy.

I've been considering for a little while whether to post this or not

I don't think it is an epidemic....

Well this may be an epidemic.....

There seem to be too many M9s around awaiting replacement sensors - fortunately mine is not one of them. I have now been advised by a second camera dealer that they have at least five customers with M9s still waiting after months for replacement sensors, and they have heard that some sixty M9s may be in this situation :eek::eek::eek:. There are also more owners floating around the Forum in a similar situation. Kodak went under and I guess took their sensor patent and production to their grave.

Again, this is only what I have been told.

I so hope this is not going to be a problem like the M8 LCD screens.

So what is the true incidence of M9 sensor failure?

Will Leica be able to supply them or have to do an M8 replacement equivalent?

Has anyone here had an M9 sensor recently replaced in a reasonable time, or who is still waiting an extended period of time with no advice as to what is happening.

Edited by MarkP

I remember when my sensor cracked (a different problem) and had to wait much longer than the then current forum advice which said repair took 'just a couple of weeks'. As with nearly all modern appliances it turns out that there isn't a continuous production line at work making sensors for the M9, but they are made in batches, and my wait was for the next batch. As neither Leica or the sensor manufacturer will hold large stocks because of cost I suspect this is the cause of the delay.

Steve

I remember when my sensor cracked (a different problem) and had to wait much longer than the then current forum advice which said repair took 'just a couple of weeks'. As with nearly all modern appliances it turns out that there isn't a continuous production line at work making sensors for the M9, but they are made in batches, and my wait was for the next batch. As neither Leica or the sensor manufacturer will hold large stocks because of cost I suspect this is the cause of the delay.

Steve

Let's hope this is all but if so there seems to be a very big backlog, and such problems are inexcusable. As I've written before, can you imagine what would happen if this was a car manufacturer unable to supply critical components with vehicles off the road for months?

I can understand all the problems: costs, warehouse, production ...

But what I find absolutely absurd and also let me just correct is the tomb of the leica silence on this issue, especially for a company that had traditions of quality and reliability, and which moreover does pay its very expensive compared to the Competitors

Regards:mad::confused:

Guglielmo

• Like 1

Welcome to the LEICA-Forum, Willy, but so far I have not seen any proof, that you personally

and/ or your LEICA has suffered from one or the other of these miseries.

There is no rationality behind a pure reference towards problems. They are there,

- otherwise it wouldn´t be discussed about them - but should you be struck with

a mistake, be sure the company will do more than you are used to from other

manufacturers to get things right again.

Best

GEORG

Edited by k_g_wolf

Unfortunately my camera sensor seems to be in the precursor phase to complete delamination. It is showing exactly the same spots but still dark, which means the coating is still in place and did not detach completely. Some on this forum suggested it might be dried oil spots, so I have tried cleaning with Sensor Smear, isopropyl, methanol, to no avail. The spots remain exactly in the same place with no signs of smearing or reduction after cleaning. Note that my camera is still one year old and until these spots appeared I have never tried to clean the sensor.

I emailed Leica asking about the nature of these spots over 2 weeks ago, and for the first time ever, they did not reply to my email. I believe Leica has a real problem here. A brand new MM and ME that belong to friends of mine have the exact same problem. I think Leica is just burying its head in the sand hoping the problem will go away.

• Like 1

I started this thread by sending a picture of my M9 sensor, then I read by others who have posted their machine with the same problem and have been waiting 3 months for repair or do not have after 3 months received no response from Leica.I after writing to leica and haven't received any reply I shipped the M9.

This is my experience and I hope that Leica that like I said has always been a serious company will continue to be. I am concerned about the silence ....

Forgive me if I said something wrong, it was not my intention ...

Regards

Guglielmo:o