Strange white spots on M9 sensor?

Clong34

hi Edward,

I'm expecting my M9 to arrive with me tomorrow. It was repaired physically in an authorised repair place in Melbourne Victoria, however the authorisation of the repair was through Leica Australia and hence Leica AG.

I would have had the camera today except for being away from work for the morning.

I shipped my M9 in for repair in Mid July. I received word fro them that the replacement sensor arrived from Germany on 20 Dec.

Incidentally I emailed Leica Customer Care (in English) on 31 July with my problem. I have not received a reply, however I expect that they have correlated my email with the repair correspondence that would have been sent from the repair place through Leica Australia to Leica AG.

My problem was never the sensor, but a SD card that was unrecognisable following a firmware update by the previous owner, however the SD card interface being part of the same assembly requires sensor replacement!!

Good luck with your own issues with Singapore.

Happy to discuss further via PM.

best wishes,

David

Hi David!

Good to see you here too! :)

Thanks for the info. So the 6 months waiting seems to be correct. Mine just arrived to Germany last week. I wasted a lot of time trying to convince Singapore Leica center to send the camera to Germany, as I believe I have the right to service at Solms like everyone else, especially with the premium prices we pay in Asia. However, it doesn't really matter since they have no sensors in stock at the moment and they don't tell me when will they get the sensors.

Having decided to dump Leica altogether in favor of Sony A7 and zeiss AF lenses, I don't mind the long wait, since I will sell the M9 and my ZM lenses as soon as I get back the camera :)

Congrats on your M9 being finally fixed! Let us know how you like their work tomorrow! :)

Cheers,

Edward

• Like 1

I think you do not need to worry. My white spot could have been seen on every picture at every aperture always at the same position. That what you describe sounds more like dust

Dust shows up as black, or very dark.

Having decided to dump Leica altogether in favor of Sony A7 and zeiss AF lenses, I don't mind the long wait, since I will sell the M9 and my ZM lenses as soon as I get back the camera :)

Congrats on your M9 being finally fixed! Let us know how you like their work tomorrow! :)

Cheers,

Edward

Thanks Edward, I will report my M9 findings, although elsewhere, you've also seen me discuss other options :)

I'm pleased that at least your camera has arrived in Germany.

• Like 1

I sent my M9P the 11/28/13.

The Leica 6:12:13 replies that the sensor will be replaced under warranty, but it will take longer time than expected due to problems of spare parts.

After my request I receive another email where you plan to repair the machine by the end of January 2014.

Today I get this email:

"Due to a problem with a supplier, we're unable to repair at the moment.

We are in close contact with the suppliers and hope to solve the problem

in a short term. As soon as we can give you an exact date for your

repair, we will get back to you. "

Say no more!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sent my M9P the 11/28/13.

The Leica 6:12:13 replies that the sensor will be replaced under warranty, but it will take longer time than expected due to problems of spare parts.

After my request I receive another email where you plan to repair the machine by the end of January 2014.

Today I get this email:

"Due to a problem with a supplier, we're unable to repair at the moment.

We are in close contact with the suppliers and hope to solve the problem

in a short term. As soon as we can give you an exact date for your

repair, we will get back to you. "

Say no more!

I sent mine only 4 days after you, so that doesn't sound very good, does it. For out of warranty cameras, I would understand, but for cameras under warranty, Leica should offer some kind of compensation for their failure to use good quality components, and their failure to keep stock of the junk they put in the cameras.

albertospa, I totally sympathize with your unfortunate circumstance, but you must also accept that Leica is a very small company when compared to say Nikon, Canon, Sony etc. Without knowing the absolute facts, I assume the parts they (and you) are waiting on come from a larger manufacturer from whom it might be reasonable to expect rapid supply. Of course I don't know but I would be prepared to give them some leeway, afterall there is no benefit to Leica for deliberately delaying any repair work.

edwardkaraa,

It is a long shot to refer to components used in your M9 as 'junk'. Certainly yours has failed. I can assure you the majority of M9's in the wild do not fail, but serve respectful use brilliantly. My particular example has done many thousand exposures, in Europe (multiple countries) , India, Antarctica, ........., even Australia. There is not a product you can name that does not have a failure rate at some point or level. You are the unlucky one and have my total sympathy. Believe me, I have been there done that, with all kinds of gear. There is no option but to accept reality, live with it and move on.

I wish you both the speediest possible repair.

Well, erl, thank you for your kind words, and I salute your enthusiasm for Leica.

But as they say counting the whips is easier than receiving them.

I had to send my M9 to Leica on December 2, and it was my only camera. That was just before the holidays which meant I had the choice either to spend the holidays without a camera, or to shed another 7000$ for a Leica ME with potentially another faulty sensor (the M was not even an option because none was available at the time).

I thank god for Sony and its A7 that saved the day and provided me with a FF camera for 1/5th the price. Until now, I have no news from Leica, and they didn't even bother to offer an upgrade or exchange option, let alone an apology for the inconvenience.

So for me now, Sony is the way to go. They are reliable and trustworthy and they have plenty of stocks for reasonable prices. I am not rich enough to be a Leica user, as I will need to have at least one back up camera, which means 18000$ of investment just to be able to shoot without interruption. Not really an option for me.

edwardkaraa,

Your experience unfortunate but since you have opted to move to Sony I hope you are able to fulfil your desires photographically. When all is said and done, Leica, Sony, Canon, Nikon etc are only tools. Each has its characteristics that favour one style or another. If your pictures are pleasing you, smile, because you are a winner. May it stay that way.

• Like 1

albertospa, I totally sympathize with your unfortunate circumstance, but you must also accept that Leica is a very small company when compared to say Nikon, Canon, Sony etc. Without knowing the absolute facts, I assume the parts they (and you) are waiting on come from a larger manufacturer from whom it might be reasonable to expect rapid supply. Of course I don't know but I would be prepared to give them some leeway, afterall there is no benefit to Leica for deliberately delaying any repair work.

edwardkaraa,

It is a long shot to refer to components used in your M9 as 'junk'. Certainly yours has failed. I can assure you the majority of M9's in the wild do not fail, but serve respectful use brilliantly. My particular example has done many thousand exposures, in Europe (multiple countries) , India, Antarctica, ........., even Australia. There is not a product you can name that does not have a failure rate at some point or level. You are the unlucky one and have my total sympathy. Believe me, I have been there done that, with all kinds of gear. There is no option but to accept reality, live with it and move on.

I wish you both the speediest possible repair.

Not my experience. I have purchased two new M9's and two new lenses in the last two years. ALL of them have had to go to Solms. One of the cameras is there for the second time. Currently I have one M9 and two lenses that have been gone since November and after sitting in Melbourne doing nothing for three or four weeks were finally sent to Solms. So far my longest repair time has been four and a half months (shortest is three). I wouldn't be surprised to break that record.

In contrast my CV lenses are without issue and the only issue I had was met with spectacular customer service. I love my rangefinders but I don't know how long I can go on with modern Leicas. I'm certainly not getting a M type 240 and told my dealer not to call me about stock.

Gordon

I'm almost sure this has been asked before, on the forum or even this thread, so apologies. but... Why is the M9 sensor out of of stock - presumably, if the M-E is a rebadged M9, they have supply? Unless the M-E is discontinued.

Not my experience. I have purchased two new M9's and two new lenses in the last two years. ALL of them have had to go to Solms. One of the cameras is there for the second time. Currently I have one M9 and two lenses that have been gone since November and after sitting in Melbourne doing nothing for three or four weeks were finally sent to Solms. So far my longest repair time has been four and a half months (shortest is three). I wouldn't be surprised to break that record.

In contrast my CV lenses are without issue and the only issue I had was met with spectacular customer service. I love my rangefinders but I don't know how long I can go on with modern Leicas. I'm certainly not getting a M type 240 and told my dealer not to call me about stock.

Gordon

Clearly you are not a happy camper, but I wonder about the facts.

First, I don't see the relevance of your CV lenses. Just not connected, if you are debating Leica.

Second, your lenses 'sat' in Melbourne for, how many weeks. You seem unsure. What was/is the problem? Was it being dealt with during the 3 or was it 4 weeks? Or was it less, or more. Did the Melbourne service department attempt to do the repair or were your cameras just sitting around? Did you get any feedback from Melbourne about what could or could not be done here?

A lot of intangibles in your rant. Maybe with good reason, but you do really need to support such comments with factual information. this is the stuff that incites bad vibes about Leica service. OTOH, if it is warranted, then support the fact with evidence.

The M-E is still in the catalogue but hasn't been 'in stock' for some time. Presumably this is connected to the hiatus in the sensor supply chain.

I remember so many people saying, when the M-E was launched, that it was wonderful news, this meant in effect that the M9 was still in production, even if under a different color and name, and support for it would continue, if not for a "lifetime", then at least for TEN years counting from the end of M-E production. Theoretically.

From what I read on this thread, it's perhaps time for the words "support" and "ten" to join "lifetime" in the flexible lexicon of 'Leicaspeak". I am still very happy with my functioning M9 (knock on wood!) but I am increasingly pessimistic about its projected lifespan as a product fully supported by Leica. Can it be that a camera "for a lifetime" bought in May 2011 would, if its sensor broke, get no immediate, or at least reasonably quick, repair today, in January 2014?

That pessimism translates, at least in my case, into unwillingness to buy further into Leica's digital offerings. What seems to be happening to the M9 today, already happened yesterday to the M8, and will very likely happen tomorrow (read: no more than a couple of years) to the Monochrom and M240.

Edited by M9reno

I That pessimism translates, at least in my case, into unwillingness to buy further into Leica's digital offerings. What seems to be happening to the M9 today, already happened yesterday to the M8, and will very likely happen tomorrow (read: no more than a couple of years) to the Monochrom and M240.

Well - even though I am Leica user since something like 25 years and enjoy very much of the concept I have to admit that putting more money into this brand becomes unlikely not to say unacceptable. We talk about bodies that cost not only 10 to 20% more than competitors ... but twice or more.

Leica Camera AG will continue to be successful for some more time but something must happen for them not to kill their reputation.

When I see the current quality issues (some of them I had to experience myself) I doubt that they are able to developp a product that can be produced to current quality standards. Further more, their international service channel is not up to the task. In the end customers have to wait often for months to get a simple job done - not speaking of sensor replacements beeing impossible due to lack of spares...

Leica: please become aware of the way more and more customers feel.

All the best

JP

May be I polarize a bit - but it hurts to read and experience today's "Leica-Feeling"

I bought my M9 brand new on September 24, 2012. Maybe I am too demanding, but running out of spare parts should not happen to a camera still under warranty (and still in production under a different name). I try to avoid being negative about Leica, especially on this forum, but I can't :D

I bought my M9 brand new on September 24, 2012. Maybe I am too demanding, but running out of spare parts should not happen to a camera still under warranty (and still in production under a different name). I try to avoid being negative about Leica, especially on this forum, but I can't :D

So, we can characterize your post as from someone with no Leica issues who just worries.

There is no merit to just worrying in public if your product is okay.

Into the bin ya go.

Sent from my DEC Alpha 4000.