jwr50

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

This is the MAIN reason to buy Leica . the lenses shot wide open the 28 f2. Find me a lens in this focal length that is this sharp and i will buy 5 of them:D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In case Leica offer 30% or 1,000 discount there is no reason to publish it on their website. they can take that up individually with the curren M8 owners.

Also, some might use that to get an M8 for upgrade and then get discounted lenses. I must admit I thought about a 800mm which would mean almost a free M8...

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So Guy, your thoughts on the Leica announcement?

Mark , I will repeat what i said once before and that is a swap program. We send these in to your local repair facility, for me that would be New Jersey and immediately upon arrival they send a new version of the M8 PERIOD. Now how many did they sell let's say 2000 thousands units . Take these units make them refurbs and sell them at 1000 dollars less. Everyone than is happy . leica , orginal M8 owners and new owners that can afford 3800 US but not 4800. Than i think on the filter issue 2 freebies and a voucher for 2 at cost. Game , set and match. Simple and easy to do.

Now if they want to do a repair the same filter package plus a discount on a lens or two. MAKE this worth our trouble, we did not know about the IR issue, if we did than it would be different. I peronnaly spent close to 900 dollalrs on filters and i am not moaning about that but i want a swap program, i simply can't afford the repair time and for the folks that can gives them something extra.

I think all of the units shipped over the next few months are going to be refurbs. What we will see leaving the factory starting on Monday will be rebuilt units that were already assembled or pulled back from the distribution channels.

The only difference between sending back a unit for upgrading and getting a "new" will be a matter of timing.

I used the Profoto's here one pack , one head with a 2x3 softbox and i use Micro sync's

MicroSync Digital - the Smallest, Smartest Wireless Strobe Sync System.

Love this small transmitter

Guy,

Your pictures are excellent. I'm using that 28mm f2.0 lens and I agree, it is great. The small Microsynch transmitters (with 100ft range), look so simple to use. The idea of batteries lasting 3 years is amazing.

Do you also happen to use these transmitters on an autofocus DSLR's too? The 2 seconds extra seems a lot.

"Please Note:For cameras with a "pre-focus" feature, you will need to press the test fire button for a couple seconds for the camera to focus and then fire."

Thanks for sharing,

Asher Kelman

http://www.openphotographyforums.com

P.S. There's a PM for you, have I upset you, you don't answer?

Guest guy_mancuso

Asher i have not tried them on the canons soi am not sure about that and yes i do owe you a phone call, have not forgot about that. Next week I get freed up and we will chat. Sorry about that, my bad as they say

Yes I am expecting more:D

Check this out straight out of the can , just shot this a hour ago did not even WB this and just picked a couple random shots. With IR filter on and strobe fill in. This baby does rock. I don't normally even shoot this stuff.

Hi Guy,

I believe it was Sean who said that at low ISO this camera can be compared to a medium format. No kidding! And this is from web sized pictures. I'm impressed.

Rgds,

Etienne

I agree that the M8 file quality is very high but comparing it to MF backs seems to be unrealistic ... there're many forum contributors here who are also MF back owners, I've read from Marc and at least one other contributor saying that the M8 still can not touch the medium format backs ... now if someone won't bother with such a test, I do have some time and interest following your posts. :D

Asher i have not tried them on the canons soi am not sure about that and yes i do owe you a phone call, have not forgot about that. Next week I get freed up and we will chat. Sorry about that, my bad as they say

Thanks Guy,

I'm using the M8 with a Summicron 28 Asph 2.0, Summicron 50 1.4, Elmarit 90mm 2.8. I share your enthusiasm but these are still early days for me and the M8.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Asher

http://www.openphotographyforums.com

Thanks for those shots Guy. This is what Leica is all about. The more we see of pics like this from early adopters (and working pros at that) the quicker we'll get past the wobbly introduction of Leica's new invention.

Folks, as I've said before - Life is short. Make the most of what you have with the time you have. Nothing in this world is perfect. Try not to carry the weight of dissapointment around with you - it only gets in the way of enjoyment and achievement. Put a smile on your face, line yourselves up with where you want to be and get on with it. :)

Guest guy_mancuso

Or you can also just say the hell with it and jump from one of these.:D

28 cron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sorry for not sharing your disappointment, but I am quite happy if the solutions identified by Leica will work. I will send my camera to Solms, they will fix or upgrade it (whatever), they will give me 2 filters (I don't need more for pj work) for my lenses and provide me with an updated firmware. If my camera will perform as originally it was supposed to, the only disappointment will be to have to live without it for some more time after having already waited for so long. 30% discount on a lens? Yes, it would have been nice (even if probably I would't have the remaining 70% to pay for another new lens) but it has nothing to do with the performance of the camera.

Happy shooting, Giulio

Guest guy_mancuso

I'm not disapointed, i would prefer a swap setup though. not sure how i am actually going to handle that the M8 serves 2 rolls for me Primary and backup to the DMR. i may have to wait it out to get a second M8 and that maybe a bit , spent a lot of money setting this up and just can't keep throwing money at this.

The small Microsynch transmitters (with 100ft range), look so simple to use. The idea of batteries lasting 3 years is amazing.

Do you also happen to use these transmitters on an autofocus DSLR's too? The 2 seconds extra seems a lot.

I have a friend who uses the microsync on l;his Canon DSLR, which is where I first saw one. He uses a remote strobe and two slaves on the background. Works very well for him. Based on a shoot I shared with him, I am planning to acquire a microsync the next time I do a studio shoot.