Announcement Published on Leica Website

jwr50

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's what appeared this morning on the Leica website:

LINK to Leica Camera AG Website Notification

11/24/2006

Since delivery of the LEICA M8 started as of the end of October 2006 we have received the endorsement of many happy users. Nevertheless, in some fairly rare situations, some annoying effects may occasionally occur. Even though these artifacts neither happen often nor to everyone we want to eliminate the effects by providing the following solution.

Issues reported as "Banding" and "Mirror/Ghost images"

Our engineering teams thoroughly investigated the root causes of these effects. They have developed and tested a robust remedy - an upgrade for the M8 - to eliminate any re-occurrence. We have taken extra precautions to not only make sure that the problem does not surface again, but that this remedy will enable every M8 to meet and exceed Leica performance standards.

Cameras shipped from our factory as of November 27th, 2006 will be equipped with the upgrade. Therefore, and because they will be tested thoroughly, we are confident that they will be defect-free.

All customers having received their LEICA M8 before this delivery date will be offered an upgrade free of charge in Leica Camera AG's Customer Service in Solms. To upgrade your camera please, register yourself on our website as of December 6th, 2006. After you have registered you will be contacted by Customer Service to make an appointment to send in your LEICA M8.

Please note that even without this upgrade all cameras delivered before this date are in working order and can be used normally. Even so, we recommend you to have the upgrade performed.

Above-average sensitivity for infrared light (synthetic fabrics are rendered with a slight magenta offset)

During the development of the LEICA M8, we made important design choices to insure that the camera delivers the quality in images the Leica M System is known for. Keeping the protective glass cover on the sensor as thin as possible on the one hand has the benefit of allowing the full potential of Leica lenses on the LEICA M8 to be utilized with respect to their sharpness and contrast rendition, but it also absorbs less of the infrared light. In everyday photographical use the resulting above-average sensitivity for infrared light may lead to a faulty color rendition, especially in the case of synthetic fabrics which - depending on the ambient light - cannot be rendered fully black but only with a slight magenta offset.

Our solution: We will offer special screw-on type UV/IR filters for all Leica M lenses. With respect to the Leica M's compact build the combination of a thin absorption filter on the sensor and a screw-on interference filter on the lens represents the best technical solution. It completely eliminates the color offset caused by infrared light. When using lenses from 16 to 35mm, we suggest opting for the 6-bit coded ones, in order to prevent a color offset towards the edges. No disadvantages must be expected for the images when the LEICA M8 is equipped with the latest firmware (from 1.10; available as of early December 2006).

Leica Camera AG offers every LEICA M8 customer a basic kit of two UV/IR filters with diameters of her/his choice and free of charge. Delivery will commence as of early February 2007. In order to receive the two free IR/UV filters, please register yourself as of December 6th, 2006, including your name and address as well as the camera's serial number. After your registration you can order two filters of choice which will be delivered to your address. Additional filters will be available from your Leica dealer.

Continuing improvements through firmware updates

As is common with digital products, Leica Camera AG is constantly working on improving firmware details such as in the case of the automatic white balance. All improvements will be made available for our customers as downloadable firmware updates.

We are confident these corrective technical measures will fulfil every expectation of even the most demanding customers.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are confident these corrective technical measures will fulfil every expectation of even the most demanding customers.

I wonder if this originally read:

We are confident these corrective technical measures will fulfil every expectation of even the members of the Leica Camera User Forum."

That statement does not equate to the 'reported' 25 page document another thread refers to. Maybe this web report is a precis. Dealers know something else as mine, today said Leica were offereing $1000 off on a lens - as opposed to 30% reported elswhere.

I complained that I had just bought my new lens (4 days ago), to which he replied, come in on Monday. We can do something about that! Alittle more time may be needed for the full story to flow around the globe officially, as opposed to the net.

I'm off to bed now. Been at it far too long today.

Cheers,

Erl

P.S. While typing this, my printer spewed out a stunning print from my M8.:)

Here is a copy of the letter sent to the dealers in Europe yesterday morning. I am quite unhappy about the elimination of the 30% discount on a lens and hope it was an oversight in todays release. Otherwise I think they can have the damn thing back.

Draft for personal letter to M8 Customers

Dear LEICA M8 Customer,

On behalf of the men and women at Leica Camera AG who bring you the LEICA M8, we thank you very

much for your business and confidence in our products.

During the development of the M8, we made important design choices to insure that the M8 delivers the

quality in images and precision in feel, fit and finish that we know Leica customers expect of us, and to a

great extent, the feedback from our customers who have been using the camera has been extraordinarily

positive.

Amongst the happy users, we received the endorsement of professional and serious amateur photographers

alike, as well as the influential photographic press, either in print or on-line. This brings a great deal of

satisfaction to all of us at Leica Camera, as it is this very encouragement that keeps us working hard to bring

you even better and more innovative products.

I am writing to you directly now because we have discovered, after shipment of the M8 began, that very

occasionally, certain aspects of early shipment cameras are not up to the normal Leica standards. These

artifacts neither happen often nor to everyone, but they do happen, and we are responsible. These issues,

however minor or infrequent, may have caused an inconvenience to you and the enjoyment of your new M8.

We sincerely apologize for this oversight.

Our engineering teams have thoroughly investigated the root cause of the reported issues and have

developed and tested a robust remedy to eliminate any re-occurrence. We have taken extra precautions to

not only make sure that the problem does not surface again, but that the remedy will enable every M8 to

meet and exceed Leica performance standards. We are confident that cameras shipped from our factory as

of November 27, 2006 are tested thoroughly to be defect free.

As you purchased a Leica M8 before December 1, 2006, we want to reassure you that your Leica

investment is sound and your M8 is in very good hands. Our Customer Service Department will contact you

regarding your time preference for returning your camera to the Solms factory for the remedy to be installed,

free of charge. The procedure will take approximately 10 days in our workshop plus shipment time, and it will

perform flawlessly. Customer Service will provide further details on how to pack and ship it to us.

We understand this is a tremendous burden to you, and would like to extend an unprecedented gesture to

compensate you for the trouble we caused.

If you have purchased and paid for a new Leica M8 in full before December 31, 2006 from

an authorized Leica dealer, you can exercise an option to purchase one Leica M-lens of

your choice directly from Leica Camera AG at a 30% discount.

In addition, all new Leica M8 owners are eligible for 2 Infrared filters of any of 7 available

sizes. Please contact Customer Service Department if you did not chose your filters when

registering at our website.

While we know that no compensation can completely overcome this unfortunate inconvenience, we hope

that you will allow us to mitigate the circumstances.

Thank you for your understanding and Leica hopes to continue to serve you in the years to come.

Very truly yours

Steven K. Lee

As expected, but:

- No deal on additional filters

- No 30% discount on a lens to keep us sweet

- No announcement re manual lens selection

- AWB appears to be causing some head scratching

Thoughts?

the 30% offer appears in Steven K Lee's letter to purchasers, and it applies to those who purchase and pay before Dec 31, 2006. This may mean that some cameras that do not need the upgrade will still qualify for the 30%. Now that's an interesting deal!

AWB not mentioned anywhere as far as I can see. I thought it had been acknowledged as a "problem."

scott

sounds like white balance isnt sorted yet

perhaps their strategy will play for time to get the firmware fix up

having to recall cameras must be a ghastly business to endure for Leica and photographers

my best wishes to M8 owners

Riley

The website registration form is only promised for Dec 6th.

scott

Ah, yes, I misread that as "register by Dec 6, or else" which wouldn't really make sense. That would be too soon, and I suppose that there are one or two M8 owners somewhere who don't use the internet... ;)

those believing in the 30% discount are kind a naive, to say the least.

in addition to what Scott wrote (purchasing before 12/31):

it would be impossible to treat all customers equal. what, for instance, would happen to those, who bought all the glass they need in advance? will they get a kind of cash back? and if yes, on which lens?

Having to recall cameras must be a ghastly business to endure for Leica and photographers

Steven Lee is the new boss, so this is something of a baptism of fire for him.

It's interesting that the streaking and blobs are a much bigger deal for them than providing a couple of filters...

I guess in a few months all this will be a distant nightmare and people will enjoy their M8, filter and all, without even giving it a second thought, because they will get the Leica glass quality plus the definition and sharpness of the lightly filtered M8 sensor.

As for the 30% off on a lens, why do people have to buy directly from Leica AG? Why can't they go through their dealer?

I still remain curious as to why the coding can't be menu-driven, ie included in the firmware. After all, Leica don't build that many lenses, and programing the existing ones can't be that difficult.The coding offers only 64 combinations. Then, it would only be a matter of firmware upgrade to add the future lenses. I wouldn't mind having to select the lens in the menu every time I change. I do it with my Nikon DSLRs when I use older AI MF lenses.