What lens for first M8

mzcloud

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am in the process of buying my first ever Leica, the M8.

I am going for a used or demo one as the new ones are out of my price range. In Canada, the used ones go for approx $3-$3.5K Canadian.

With regards to lens, I probably will only have cash for one and have no idea which one to buy. I am thinking about a lower price point 35mm. There are so many lens models and the cheapest one is just under $2,000. Would that be a good choice? Is it made for a more entry level?

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Welcome, and congratulations on your first Leica. I hope that you will have many years of pleasure from using it. :)

I have one of the 'entry level' 35mm Summarit lenses, and in my opinion, it's a great little lens. It may not be the fastest lens on the block, but f:2.5 is not exactly slow. I have no complaints at all regarding the quality of this lens, and it is tack-sharp, with pleasing out of focus areas. My only possible complaint, is that it's not available in silver to match my M8.

I don't think that you would regret buying one. :)

I grabbed voigtlander glass until I can find Leica replacements that I can afford.

They make a 35mm f/1.4, 28mm f/2.0, and a 50mm 1.5 that are all very reasonable, and is a great set to have for a starter kit - the cost of all three combined would be less than a summarit and are all faster to boot.

When you outgrow them you can always move up to a summicron or a summilux.

I am in the process of buying my first ever Leica, the M8.

I am going for a used or demo one as the new ones are out of my price range. In Canada, the used ones go for approx $3-$3.5K Canadian.

With regards to lens, I probably will only have cash for one and have no idea which one to buy. I am thinking about a lower price point 35mm. There are so many lens models and the cheapest one is just under $2,000. Would that be a good choice? Is it made for a more entry level?

Thanks for your help.

I started with the 35mm summicron ASPH which I picked up s/h but in mint condition for £1100 here in the UK though I don't know prices in Canada. It's a stunning lens. Many people here swear by the 28mm focal length though you'd probably only get a 28 elmarit APSH rather than the summicron at your price point. The elmarit is a stunning performer too if you don't mind a smaller max aperture.

I grabbed voigtlander glass until I can find Leica replacements that I can afford.

They make a 35mm f/1.4, 28mm f/2.0, and a 50mm 1.5 that are all very reasonable, and is a great set to have for a starter kit - the cost of all three combined would be less than a summarit and are all faster to boot.

When you outgrow them you can always move up to a summicron or a summilux.

Thanks, I will look into them. Not sure if they are around in my area. Probably need to search on ebay.

I started with the 35mm summicron ASPH which I picked up s/h but in mint condition for £1100 here in the UK though I don't know prices in Canada. It's a stunning lens. Many people here swear by the 28mm focal length though you'd probably only get a 28 elmarit APSH rather than the summicron at your price point. The elmarit is a stunning performer too if you don't mind a smaller max aperture.

Leica makes these three kind of lenses

1. summicron

2. summilux

3. Elmarit.

Which is the higher line? Are they mainly for different purposes?

There are more than 3 'ranges' of Leica lenses. The names simply refer to the maximum aperture, i.e. Summicrons are f2 and Summilux f1.4. You can be certain of excellent quality whichever one you opt for.

I have a 35mm Voigtlander Skopar which is a great lens, also a Summaron 35 which I'm selling (on the buy/sell forum) as it's the goggled version for the M3 and whilst it's great on my M2 and looks funky, I prefer the more compact Skopar.

Leica makes these three kind of lenses

1. summicron

2. summilux

3. Elmarit.

Which is the higher line? Are they mainly for different purposes?

Don't forget Summarit and Elmar... (F2.5 and F4 respectively)

Summicron (F2)

Summilux (F1.4)

Elmarit (F2.8)

Noctilux (F1.2 or faster)

Edited by swamiji
add more info

Thanks, I will look into them. Not sure if they are around in my area. Probably need to search on ebay.

You can definitely find these on ebay...

The models are:

28mm 1.9 Ultron

or

28mm 2.0 Ultron

35mm 1.4 Nokton Classic

50mm 1.5 Nokton

the 28mm 1.9 ultron and 50mm 1.5 nokton are screw mount lenses that can be adapted to M mount. The 28mm f/2 ultron and 35mm nokton are native M mount lenses. The adapters are relatively cheap (around $50) and can be purchased on ebay or any camera shop.

To get new voigtlander glass, you can purchase from B&H

Voigtlander

Adorama:

Voigtlander - Adorama.com

Or Cameraquest:

FOR SALE

When I got my M8, I elected to get:

Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 - this is by far the sharpest and best performance wide angle I have ever used

Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 - this was more expensive, and while I got a few fluke sharp shots, I find this lense a little soft and difficult to focus because of the 1.2 aperture. It does give some amazing bokeh though and gives subjects a nice 'classical' glow. I like to think of it as a poor man's 1.3x sensor Nocti

Leica 28mm Elmarit f/2.8 - I bought this because it was second hand at a good price from a dealer I trust (Camtec photo in Montreal). This lense is pretty much glued to my camera now unless I need more light (where the 1.2 comes in). The lense is compact, relatively inexpensive, gives a great field of view, and the images are so sharp, you might bleed if you touch the screen in preview.

50mm Summicrons can also be had for various prices at various vintages. 50 is a great focal length as I shot almost exclusively with a 50 1.8 for an entire year on my Canon 1.6 crop dSLR once. And of course, if you ever (once you) upgrade to the M9 or whatever full frame M comes along in the future, your 50 will once again be the 50 it was meant to be. Until then, it serves as an amazing all round light-tele lense (65mm isn't that bothersome).

Edited by matts

Whatever lens you choose, do yourself a favor and buy it used.

From the fact that you are buying a used M8, that tells me you don't have any qualms about picking up second-hand gear. And you have much less potential for problems with a used lens than a used digital camera.

Not sure I'd go with eBay unless you feel very comfortable with a particular seller. KEH camera is a great place to get used Leica gear. Great return policy. And their bargain-rated lenses are usually in very nice shape. I've also had a lot of luck buying from sellers here and at the Rangefinder forum.

Not knowing what sort of photography or style you prefer, it's tough to recommend a specific lens. I do think the 28mm and 35mm focal lengths are great places to start.

Whatever lens you choose, do yourself a favor and buy it used.

From the fact that you are buying a used M8, that tells me you don't have any qualms about picking up second-hand gear. And you have much less potential for problems with a used lens than a used digital camera.

Not sure I'd go with eBay unless you feel very comfortable with a particular seller. KEH camera is a great place to get used Leica gear. Great return policy. And their bargain-rated lenses are usually in very nice shape. I've also had a lot of luck buying from sellers here and at the Rangefinder forum.

Not knowing what sort of photography or style you prefer, it's tough to recommend a specific lens. I do think the 28mm and 35mm focal lengths are great places to start.

I will definitely take a look of KEH camera. I just thought lens do not depreciate at fast. Personally prefer taking portaits

If you prefer portraits start with a 50mm lens. You should be able to get a modern 6-bit coded 50 summicron (which I have), or modern 50 summarit. These are effectively 67mm lenses on the M8, great length for portraits and great results wide open. Also many like the 50 Zeiss f2 Planar, which is cheaper than the Leica alternatives.

Another alternative would be a secondhand 50 Summilux pre-ASPH, evidently good for that special Leica glow.

Coding is not so important for 50 and longer lenses but you will still need an ir cut filter. A B&W one is fine.

Jeff