What lens for first M8

mzcloud

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi mate,

bought my M8 before this summer. I recycled a pair of Voigtlander lenses, Skopar 21/4 and Heliar 50/3.5 (yes, the mythical one). Added later an Elmarit 90/2.8. Love all of the three, but I'm gonna couple a Planar ZM 50/2 to the Heliar. M8 at 1250 is gasping and some shots I took with the Heliar at f4 and 1250 could have been taken with the Planar at f2 and 320 with a different quality.

I'll see build quality and the results before deciding which one is the 50 to keep.

CV lenses are excellent bangs for the buck but, Erwin Puts docet, they lose something on the build quality side. Zeiss ZM are generally better and more expensive. If you can afford them, go for used Leica lenses.

Me, I'd choose used Leica or new Zeiss for the lenses I use most, CVs for the occasional use.

Enjoy your new toy!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, similar to a lot of people, I started off with a 35mm Summicron, follow by 28mm f2.8, 50mm Summicron, CV 50mm f1.1 and the lastest addition is a 75mm Summicron...... having said that, all these happened within the last 2 months....... yes, I am loving them.

After much procrastination .. I finally bought a 75 f2. It's awesome. Size is pretty compact. Images at f2 is just amazing. Bit expensive but worth it. Bought second hand off ebay from local seller so went to inspect before bidding.

I have a Zeiss 35mm f2.8 which is very good and far more affordable than Leica lenses. If Zeiss did a 75 f2, I would have tried that first but they don't.

After much procrastination .. I finally bought a 75 f2. It's awesome. Size is pretty compact. Images at f2 is just amazing. Bit expensive but worth it. Bought second hand off ebay from local seller so went to inspect before bidding.

I have a Zeiss 35mm f2.8 which is very good and far more affordable than Leica lenses. If Zeiss did a 75 f2, I would have tried that first but they don't.

I went with a summarit, cheaper alternative. Also thinking want to get 28 summciron as it will probably be my most used lens.