M9 spotted in Leica Youtube Video...

stevem7

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The M9 will be presented in 2010, and will be very expensive. I agree on the need of some updates to the M8. It is not the IR problem, but the outdated electronics (noise, image size, etc.).

¿Rubén, que apostamos? You bet? :rolleyes:

:D

I think Leica said nothing to the dealers about a full frame M (M9). All this mess has been originated by dealers (without information from Leica)

My understanding is that this is not the case. A dealer I trust has received information about the M9 from Leica.

¿Rubén, que apostamos? You bet? :rolleyes:

:D

Ya he apostado a que no habrá Leica M con sensor 24x36mm ahora...

Otras cosas sí, eso no.

Una M revisada puede ser (la llamen M8.3 o M9), y más cosas, pero no eso... Es sorprendente cómo la gente se inventa las cosas, de la nada.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why?

Because it shows you how many shots you have left, and battery life. Those are important things to know. In fact, in an earlier post when we were suggesting what the M9 should have, one of my suggestions was that the top LCD remain on permanently even when the camera is switched off (à la Nikon) so that those items of information were always available.

Isn't it actually pretty obvious that removing this display is a bad thing? Or did I miss something? Please explain your "why?"! :D

Because it shows you how many shots you have left, and battery life. Those are important things to know. In fact, in an earlier post when we were suggesting what the M9 should have, one of my suggestions was that the top LCD remain on permanently even when the camera is switched off (à la Nikon) so that those items of information were always available.

Isn't it actually pretty obvious that removing this display is a bad thing? Or did I miss something? Please explain your "why?"! :D

Becuse, as I've said in an other thread, you don't need to look up this information after each and every shot, so it makes no sense to have it where it is, as long as the display only displays battery status and "film" left. Makes more sense to include this information on the screen on the back.

Makes more sense to include this information on the screen on the back.

But the screen on the back uses far more electricity than the liquid crystal display on the top. The screen on the back is a major cause of battery drain. Sorry, it doesn't make any sense to me to have the frame counter there.

At the moment I can just glance down and see the frame count and battery indicator. I can't see how having those on part of the camera that's hidden represents an improvement.

But the screen on the back uses far more electricity than the liquid crystal display on the top. The screen on the back is a major cause of battery drain. Sorry, it doesn't make any sense to me to have the frame counter there.

It's not a film camera.

Charge the battery, insert a large memory card, and you will will be out of battery before you rund out of space on your memory card. No need to check memory card status all the time.

When you start shooting at a new location, you probably will have a look at some of the menues, so then you will be updated on battery and memory card status also.

At the moment I can just glance down and see the frame count and battery indicator. I can't see how having those on part of the camera that's hidden represents an improvement.

For the manufacturer, removing redundant parts would be an improvement when it comes to manufacturing costs.

For the users, it would make more sense to add some more valuable information in the to panel, for instance ISO-settings.

Adli, this is just silly. It's much more ergonomic on the top. That's why pretty much all cameras have such a display ;) And it's very useful to be able to glance at a switched-off camera and know instantly whether (a) it's got enough "film" left and (B) it's got a battery charge. I don't want to have to go to menus for that :)

And it's very useful to be able to glance at a switched-off camera and know instantly whether (a) it's got enough "film" left and (B) it's got a battery charge. I don't want to have to go to menus for that :)

I agree to that, but this is not the case for the display we are discussing here.

If the display contained more info and if it was on all the time, it would make good sense. But it would not be the display of the M8. The way it is today, the user value is low compared to production cost. But then, who cares about costs ;)

Since when are we supposed to chimp to count our frames? Not a good idea that.

With an 8GB card, you start with more than 700 exposures, do you really check after each picture? How often do you run out of memory cards on location?

i would be more then happy with a FF 18mpix m9 without a frame counter/battery indicator on top....and i can only hope that if it will be announced on wednesday that will be the only problem....but it would not be leica if there wasn't any bickering....

the thing isn't even announced yet and you are complaining about imagined missing features?

Frames and battery level in the VF next to the meter LEDs.

Maybe, but I'd argue that such an arrangement would be inferior to the little LCD on the M8. It's not something that I'd get my kacks in a twist about but I'll certainly find it irritating if I have to look through the viewfinder to find out basic information such as the battery status and shots remaining.