M9 spotted in Leica Youtube Video...

stevem7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

People are quite wrong to assume there's an M9, badged as an M8, with a massive new viewfinder window on the front.

Clearly this is a squeezed image, a result of the editing process. As I wrote earlier:

As to the frame at 00:00:36, referenced above, I have a feeling the video editor has taken a crop for a close up and resized it: the M8 looks squashed, side to side, rather than tall. Look at the "M", it's more narrow than the squat typeface Leica uses for the M.

I don't think that is a massive new rangefinder window on an M9.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

I agree.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I absolutely agree with this, Thorsten. I am one of those, and, should I find 5,500 Euro down the back of the sofa on Wednesday next week, I will buy an M9 on Thursday.

The M9 will be presented in 2010, and will be very expensive. I agree on the need of some updates to the M8. It is not the IR problem, but the outdated electronics (noise, image size, etc.).

A new M body is out of the question for me, but I would scrape and save all the spare cash I could get my sweaty hands on for an electronics upgrade.

Also, a new firmware update for the M8 so that we too can use the "protect" button for ISO - something we've been crying out for for ages now. Please Leica, implement this so that the user just has to hold-down the "procet/ISO" botton and turn the rear thumb dial. The current system requires a mimium of four button presses.

It's funny how full frame is the magic word.

I don't know why, but I know it is so. The first Leica was 24x36mm and the reason Leica became the grandfather of 35mm and the M ruled till the 70ies.

A lot of different formats like Polaroid, APS and discs (as you may recall) has been introduced to the market as the future solution. But always it was back to 35mm format again. It's just been the most successful format the last 100 years.

Except in camera concepts where the sensor size if indifferent because the camera delivers a package of 35mm-equivalent pictures. Such as the Digilux 2 and D-Lux 4 where the camera delivers 28mm vide angle (and the user can't change the lens so don't care how the sensor looks like as long as the picture is 28mm vide angle as in 35mm photography.

But for all cameras with interchangeable lenses, full frame is the word.

So if Leica shouldn't return to 24x36mm full frame, I don't know who should. It's their format, they invented it.

leica.overgaard.dk - Thorsten Overgaard's Leica Pages - The Leica History - Page 1

People are quite wrong to assume there's an M9, badged as an M8, with a massive new viewfinder window on the front.

Clearly this is a squeezed image, a result of the editing process. As I wrote earlier:

As to the frame at 00:00:36, referenced above, I have a feeling the video editor has taken a crop for a close up and resized it: the M8 looks squashed, side to side, rather than tall. Look at the "M", it's more narrow than the squat typeface Leica uses for the M.

I don't think that is a massive new rangefinder window on an M9.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Sorry, could'nt resist when I was reading through this thread ...

... and my attempt was immediately uncovered by you :mad:

For sure, what is shown in the 36th second of the video is an image of an oddly squeezed normal M8 during its production.

What gives the impression of altered proportions is mainly the lack of the plastic front cover of the window in the middle whose opening is actually much smaller than the missing front cover.

As you said it, it is all for the sake of a good story. ;)

I have a painful vision of Leica being blamed for not releasing something they never said they'd release.

True, but I don't remember from them such an emphasis onto an announcement (many PERSONAL messages were sent through the dealer channel)... and, after all, the S2 was really a revolutianry product fro them (even if targeted to a narrow market) and was not a so heated announcement; I think if they simply will announce a 18x27 M8.3, they deserve some blame.

True, but I don't remember from them such an emphasis onto an announcement (many PERSONAL messages were sent through the dealer channel)... and, after all, the S2 was really a revolutianry product fro them (even if targeted to a narrow market) and was not a so heated announcement; I think if they simply will announce a 18x27 M8.3, they deserve some blame.

I think Leica said nothing to the dealers about a full frame M (M9). All this mess has been originated by dealers (without information from Leica) and users at the forums. Leica has things to be announced next week, and something may be a M camera or not, but the only comment about the M9 (FF) from Leica was that one by Stefan Daniel, and he said "we are close, but we aren't there yet". So they are working on it, but it isn't ready yet. A M8.3 is more likely, but even other products are more likely than the M8.3.

I think Leica said nothing to the dealers about a full frame M (M9). All this mess has been originated by dealers (without information from Leica) and users at the forums. Leica has things to be announced next week, and something may be a M camera or not, but the only comment about the M9 (FF) from Leica was that one by Stefan Daniel, and he said "we are close, but we aren't there yet". So they are working on it, but it isn't ready yet. A M8.3 is more likely, but even other products are more likely than the M8.3.

Amusing, but I don't think you will make it into the history books :)

I doubt it if they intend to have 28mm frame lines.

i know I cannot win against 0,72x users :D

But if there is a custom made 1:1 vf and I buy ext vf 21/28mm.. i would be in heaven.

hassle free two eyes open photography :eek:

Guest WPalank

First off, I truly believe there will be a M9, but as someone pointed out earlier, why does the bottom of the 9 look so funky? Yeah, I know it's a low rez image, but still.