21st Birthday

ptarmigan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is my first 'images' post - I've had the M8 for 2 weeks. Here is a selection from a 21st birthday party. With hindsight I could have opened the lens up for some of these shots - I was a little nervous focusing at f2 so most were f2.8 or 4. All M8 with 35 cron ASPH.

Any comment/advice welcome.

Edited by ptarmigan

Ian -

Welcoem to the Forum and congratulatoins on you M8 purchase. I very much like the last one for composition, moment, light, color an detail.

Thanks. It was shot at ISO 640, handheld at 1/15th of a second at F2. No way could I have done that with my D2x at such a slow shutter speed.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd say that you were doing very well with this - keep it up :)

Thanks one and all.

I must say that I initially found the M8 and focusing in particular very difficult but ended up with much better results than I expected. I had considered taking the D2x and also several lenses (cause I have them!) as a back-up 'just in case' but that'd have meant taking/using flash as it doesn't cope so well with high contrast on very sunny days - the DR must be less than on the M8 - and I struggle above ISO 400 in low light whereas I am learning the M* performs very well at ISO 640 and even higher if you are careful.

Anyway, the M8 went alone and I'm generally quite pleased with the results. It became easier and easier to use as the afternoon/evening wore on. It was only a family thing so no real risk anyway. Not quite sure I'm ready to shoot a wedding or anything though :eek:

Ian, thanks for sharing.

I particularly like #3, 5, 7, 8 and 9, since they give a good feeling of the atmosphere of the event without looking too "snapshotty". I also like the fact that you have pushed the camera and yourself to see what you can do. Post more - this is a good start.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks again. I shot 76 images of which over 50 will be keepers - a bit lower than my normal strike rate. I had several out of focus and a small number of those shot at less than 1/8th of a sec were blurred, and a few I didn't like where I has shot a second one straight away.

They look rather ordinary to me, you can do a lot better with the M8, but it is early days and I think you're right, opening the lens up will isolate subjects more. I like the colour temp variation on the last one though and it is a well captured moment. (lighting the candles)

Edited by pmun

Welcome and nice job. I agree with pmun about shooting wide open in these situations where the background can be very busy. I like your B&W images and would darken them a bit to bring out shadow detail. I find that underexposing by a stop works well with the M8.

Keep posting, will look forward to more.

• 2 weeks later...
They look rather ordinary to me, you can do a lot better with the M8, but it is early days and I think you're right, opening the lens up will isolate subjects more. I like the colour temp variation on the last one though and it is a well captured moment. (lighting the candles)

Thanks for looking but 'ordinary' isn't much help for me to improve. It was an ordinary family gathering.