Lila's Mezzanine.

stuny

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lila A. Wallace, who owned Readers Digest (When my father did some consulting for her in the early 1960s her daily net, not gross, was USD16 million) left a huge fortune that has done a great deal to support the arts. One chunk of that money paid for a new wing on the Metropolitan Museum of Art to house art from the modern era. This is looking from the second floor down to a mezzanine.

Stuart, I like this picture. Supercharged colour. I remember the Wallace house being pointed out to me by friends in Pleasantville, up in Westchester county. Rather unprepossessing, at least by $16million/day standards. Perhaps it was their place before the big bucks.

Michael -

Thank you. The home you saw (she named it High Winds) is much larger than one would think passing it. It is beautifully situated, hugging the contours of a hilltop, and is quite expansive. It also has the most beautiful swimming pool I've ever seen, looking completely natural.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...in the early 1960s her daily net, not gross, was USD16 million...

That is a staggering sum, particularly for the 1960s. It means a yearly net of nearly $6 billion! That makes me bitter thinking about the paltry sum I was once paid to do a shoot for Reader's Digest.

I like your photo for the angle, strong color, crisp detail and beautiful lighting.

Carlos & Brent - Thank you.

Ben - thank you. this was with my little Panasonic version of the C Lux, the camera I've used for almost all of the most recent 400 photos on the NY pages of our site.. I've sent the original, full size file to you.

BTW: Excellent move to not do a photo walk this morning.