Instructions required: Focomat V35 VC Module

aesop

Hi,

Using the module itself is straightforward, you just dial in the paper grade you need, and expose. You can expose parts of the image using different grades on the the same paper, using hands or cutout masks after some practice.

Steve Anchell says in his book (see link)...

"The Variocontrast module is adjusted by two dichroic filters so that gradation can be set continuously by turning a rotary knob. The exposure time stays constant for the entire contrast range, while the filters can be moved out of the optical path for focussing and exposure with white light."

I think there are different ranges of Multigrade paper, so a grade 3.5 on Ilford MG paper may not look the same as a grade 3.5 on Kodak, or Agfa MG paper. You will have to do your own tests.

Worth reading this book, though... He also gives Magenta and Yellow filter settings for most MG papers when using different colour heads.

Variable Contrast Printing Manual, The: Steve Anchell: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Cheers,

John

Hi,

Using the module itself is straightforward, you just dial in the paper grade you need, and expose. You can expose parts of the image using different grades on the the same paper, using hands or cutout masks after some practice.

Steve Anchell says in his book (see link)...

"The Variocontrast module is adjusted by two dichroic filters so that gradation can be set continuously by turning a rotary knob. The exposure time stays constant for the entire contrast range, while the filters can be moved out of the optical path for focussing and exposure with white light."

Cheers,

John

...super stuff, John. Do you (or anyone else) know if the VC module has the equivalent of the red filter on the corresponding B&W module? I have always used the B&W module on graded paper, hence my line of questioning. Thanks.

The V35 takes a "regular" (swing out) under lens diffused white filter for the Leitz Focometer.

Charlie, was your red filter a Leitz accessory?

Take a look at this page.. there's a home made one on his V35

Leitz Focomat V35

This is the book on Darkroom technique, concentrating on the V35, not sure how much is on the VC module, but worth having..

Amazon.com: Leica Darkroom Practice: Rudolf Seck: Books

eBay for manuals on the V35, and swing out filters you could modify.

John

The V35 takes a "regular" (swing out) under lens diffused white filter for the Leitz Focometer.

Charlie, was your red filter a Leitz accessory?

Take a look at this page.. there's a home made one on his V35

Leitz Focomat V35

This is the book on Darkroom technique, concentrating on the V35, not sure how much is on the VC module, but worth having..

Amazon.com: Leica Darkroom Practice: Rudolf Seck: Books

eBay for manuals on the V35, and swing out filters you could modify.

John

John,

My Red filter was a Leitz accessory, which fitted under the lens on a swing out arm. I never used it and sold it on +++y.

Charlie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There was a similar thread recently that may be of interest

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/film-forum/72726-focomat-v35-vario-contrast-question.html#post754256

The OP appears to have documentation perhaps you could e-mail him for a copy to be made?

BTW this on e-b*y Item number: 270328668727

Hi,

I am very happy with the module because it is very easy to use. I use split grade

printing a lot and changing from grade 0 to 5 is just a matter of 1 sec. This in combination

with my RH Designs StopClcok Pro (f-stop) Timer, which has built in splitgrade

functionality makes my printing REALLY enjoyable !

You can flip the filters up to use white light and/or red filter.

A red filter is the only thing I am missing a little bit on my V35

Anyone has one for sale? If yes please let me know ! :)

• 8 years later...