Leitz Focomat 1a Lamp Plug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I acquired a Focomat 1a. Does anyone have a manual that they could share? I am not new to darkroom printing, but I'm accustomed to my current Beseler. I don't understand how the base with a switch works with the enlarger. And, the plug for the lamp is not standard. How do I get this up and running?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The plug looks like either a South Africa/Namibia or UK type from before the ground prong was required.  I can't tell which, but the UK plug has smaller diameter prongs than the South African plug.  Why not measure the spacing and diameter, and then google those plugs so you can get the right adapter.  if that doesn't work, just get a replacement North American lug and replace the one on the enlarger. 

It looks like you can unscrew the metal piece in the middle of the base so your easel will lay flat.

That's all I can suggest.  My enlarger experience is only with Beseler and Durst.

The enlarger really needs to be rewired.  You need a three wire system with the equipment ground connected to the chassis.  I have also found the insulation that is used on Leitz equipment to age and crack.

• Like 1

vor 20 Minuten schrieb zeitz:

The enlarger really needs to be rewired.  You need a three wire system with the equipment ground connected to the chassis.  I have also found the insulation that is used on Leitz equipment to age and crack.

I absolutely second that. Don't care about the plug - get it rewired with a new three wire cable and a plug that matches your system, for safety reasons.