How often do you bump into someone with a M8

leolaksi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leolaksi: Today I was perusing the Border's bookstore in Singapore when I turned around and found myself face to face with someone "wearing" a chrome M8.2 (or maybe 8) with a Carl Zeiss 21mm f2.8 around his neck. I usually carry my camera on my shoulder and held in the low ready position so he never noticed me or my camera. And then in a flash, he was gone.

Was it Father Christmas?

Now that you mention it, he had a slight resemblance.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strange. I bought my M8 in Singapore. On the day I flew home, I carried it over my shoulder going through - Border's - trying to find something to read on the flight home. In late April 2007, that was...

Only twice I have got some kind of attention when carrying my M8. Once I met a German couple here in Oslo. They did not know that 'Leica had a digital M'...

The second time was this summer. On the Viking Line Ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki. When sailing through the beautiful Stockholm archipelago on a sunny afternoon, a Russian, he also with a M8 (black, with a 35 mm Summilux35 mm 1,4), approached me on the deck. Like myself, he was on a business trip. He told me that photography was very popular in Russia and that Leica had quite a name ('magic') over there. I also met him on the car deck the next morning. He was no poor guy. - Russians come in all the different tax brackets today. This one with a huge Landrover.

Twice only Leica, no M8.

First time was on holiday on Malta some eight years ago. I was off exploring the back streets of Valetta when I came across a gentleman shooting an R with an M on his shoulder. I was using an M6 then, we nodded and moved on. I did regret later not trying harder to engage him in conversation so the second encounter this year worked out differently.

We were on a family day out just south of the lake district (UK) in Grange over Sands, a noted spot for retirement. In the park by the duck lake, where we were on feeding duties, recorded by the M8, an electric wheelchair buzzed past and a glance showed a brown camera case with the Leica shape. I walked straight across,pointed, and said the magic word "Leica" broad smiles and an M4-P emerged which it transpired he had bought new. Still shooting daily with his film tab tucked in the accessory shoe. He had a few shots with the M8 and I was able to tell him how much his camera was still worth. I was using the 28mm Asph so he tried that and we moved on. A much more satisfying encounter.

I do lurk in Borders, ours has a Starbucks upstairs, often with a Leica but no sightings.

The two encounters are also twice those made with a 'blad user, non commercial, but I do carry it less these days as it appears to have put on nearly as much weight as I have.

That can have the opposite effect as I appeared, unintentionally, to severely intimidate the pro at a recent wedding where I was a minor guest. He was shooting Bronica and the 'blad/Metz combo was not well received, although I was very careful to keep out of his way and did not shoot his set shots. The outcome was though that the bride did take a number of prints from me and seeing the album I was not surprised.

One more thing;

On a business trip to Copehagen this spring I met a very nice couple in Tivoli. - I usually don't go to amusement parks when on business trip, but there is this excellent restaurant in Copenhagen called Herzegovina which is only accessable from the Tivoli. He had a modified M6 with green paint and, possibly, green leather. An obvious Leica buff like myself. We had a beer together at one of the outdoor restaurants around the pond talking cameras. He worked in the film business (Ilford?) and was determined to 'stay with film'.

Did I meet anyone who frequent these pages?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not the M8 but here's a humorous M7 incident: in 2002 when the LHSA had a "Spring Shoot" weekend at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore (USA), we had the pleasure of meeting a non-LHSA sporting a new M7 around his neck on that warm and beautiful day. Said he, with a puzzled look on his face as he glimpsed our brace of Leica hardware, "Hey, what's going on around here?"

We recruited him on the spot.

-g

Once. In Quiksilvers near Times Square in New York, earlier this fall. I think he was from germany. He had the 35 lux on it, I had the 50 lux pre-asph. Tried to strike up a conversation but I think the language barrier was there. On a side note. I was in the Cayman IIands in late august. Wedding going on at the beach. The wedding photog was using a 5D. I was taking a few snaps. At a break he noticed my camera. What I found really odd was that he had no clue Leica made a digital RF. He was surprised.

No M8s but a couple of years ago I was taking photos from the top of Clough Head in the English Lake District with my old M2 and 35/2 when another hillwalker beside me produced an immaculate M3 with a 28mm from his bag, we had a conversation about photography and Leica for a few minutes then went on our ways, it's the only time in 20+ years of frequent hillwalking I've met someone with another M on the hills, which I find surprising as they're the ideal camera for the hills.

Ron

I have never seen anyone else using an M8. Several photographers have seen me with mine and initiated conversation. They usually want to know how I chose an M8 and what luck (nothing but good luck here) I'm having with it. I have never, ever had anyone dis my equipment and I would never dis anyone else's. Professional courtesy :D

LOL... I was at a used camera store north of Indy Jack's Camera Shop -- Specializing in new and used cameras -- New and used photographic supplies -- Digital photography and Video , looking at a used M, when a guy (Doctor of some kind), came up to me while I was playing with the camera and asked me why I didn't just buy a Canon.

Grrrr.

:mad:

why I didn't just buy a Canon
Why did you buy a Ducati, Honda's are much more reliable & cheaper service intervals. You only need to replace the engine oil after 30.000 miles (or km whatever).

Why did you buy a Mercedes, BMW, Alfa, Porsche, Ferrari etc. etc. Toyata's, Nissan etc.etc. are much more reliable.

Why did you climb Mt. Blanc while you could stay at home mowing the lawn.

Why indeed. Life is not about being sensible.

Three M8 encounters.

1) Summer of 2007 in Norway: I was taking pictures with my M7 at the wodden church of Heddal when I ran into a frenchman with an M8 and a Lux 50/1.4 Asph. We had a nice conversation. I took this picture of him with the Lux on my M7 (Velvia 50)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2) Summer of 2008, Lindau: On the meeting of economic laureats there was a Pro using an M8. (Unfortunatly without IR cut filter...) He only tested it, as the told me.

3) Summer of 2008, Zurick main station: 2 rather old bohemians taking pictures of themselves with an M8

Yours

olaf

Meeting M users is a fairly common occurrence in Tokyo. M8s are not as common as film Ms, but they're around. The most astonishing chance meeting was with another Leicaflex SL2 user on the street in Ginza.

Meeting M users is a fairly common occurrence in Tokyo. M8s are not as common as film Ms, but they're around. The most astonishing chance meeting was with another Leicaflex SL2 user on the street in Ginza.

I was in Tokyo a couple of months ago and saw all kinds of old rangefinder cameras being used. Ran into a couple of Konica Hexars, a Nikon and even a Canonet QL17. I went to Fujiya's Photo in Nakano and there were a couple of film M's. Leo