Could something be wrong with my BELOVED M6???

leicavirgin2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings again! I just bought a MINT 135mm F2.8 Elmarit w/magnifying goggles & built in-hood, (Canadian) via 1978.

I tested it on ALL my cameras... M3, M4 and two M6's. ALL were fine except one of the M6's.

The RF PATCH is high, but only on this lens, (others work fine... 35mm, all my 50's, and my one 90mm).

Also, I tried ALL my lenses on EVERY CAMERA "M" BODY I OWN & only on this ONE M6 body was the RF PATCH high.

Could their be a reason for this? If so, what step do I take to correct the issue? All advise and opions are most welcome.

Best DMB

I am not sure that I understand what you mean by the "RF patch being high".

Is the RF image not coinciding vertically? If that is the case, your M6 rangefinder probably needs a minor adjustment. The eyes of the 135mm Elmarit magnify the finder view 1.5x and 'unfortunately', also magnify any misalignments. So - if the M6 finder is slightly out of adjustment, you probably do not notice it when using other lenses. When the 'goggles' magnify the image 1.5x, the misalignment becomes more noticeable.

The vertical adjustment is a very simple procedure and can be done by any competent technician with knowledge of Leica M cameras.

Best,

Jan

The eye on the right side has a prism in it that must have the proper rotational orientation. This is a very difficult setting to make. If there are no problems with the other cameras, then it must be an adjustment with the M6 RF patch.

I just checked both of my M6`s and measured the patch and they are centered. If yours is centered before the lens is mounted and it moves off, then it has to be with the lens. But if you change the lens for the M6, the other cameras will be off.

I am thinking the patch is off a little and the magnification is showing it up. I don`t think it effects focus accuracy and I would live with it untill the next service when you can have it adjusted.

Doubice & Tobey-

Thank you kindly for your advice & details. It is much appreciated. I will consider what you both wrote. Again, thank you!

Lastly, how easy is it for a RF PATCH to go out of alignment? Is it common?

Respectfully & All the Best,

DMB