Leica Mp

kevin4u2

Any wife bearing a Leica is something rare and precious - definitely a keeper.

If the camera is authentic, it's very valuable. The group here can assist in identification by looking at pictures of the items. Until you get a positive identification on the camera, refuse all offers to buy or trade.

You're a lucky guy.

Eric

i it is a lecia mp camera .it has a crome body with black .it has 2 lense 1 is summarit f-5cm nr 1527127.the other is elmar f 9cm 1:4 nr 1558982.also has a light meter attached leica meter mc metrawatt ag nurnburg.it is not a brand new camera but it still works.

All of this sound a bit too good to be true, but if it is: congratulations!

The serial # of the original MP cameras did not conform to the # on the M3's and M2's produced at the same time. It had # from 1 to 402 (source: Dennis Laney, Leica Collectrors Guide. 2nd edition, 2004). If it says "MP-253" on the top plate, the serial # is 253.

according to G. Rogliatti, there were totally up to 450 MPs built in 1956/57. They were based on M3 model, designed for press shooting, mainly by fitting a special base plate which (first) allowed the use of the Leicavit winder. Abt. 150 bodies were made in black, abt 300 in silver (=chrome). Your serial number should be from 1957.

Congratulation, rare collectors item and still good for film shooting!

H.

yes, she came home with it.a ladys husband died a few years back and she gave my wife alot of junk that was in her house.i thought,when i saw this camera i was not sure what kind it was.i'm used to the 35mm nikon.and that means i can load the film and take pictures.i do not even know how to use this camera.anyways maybe i can find a oweners manual on one like it.so if i decide to keep it, i can at least load the film and changes lense. here are some pictures. kevin

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Its definitely no good. Take alll the photos off the internet and dont answer any mail. Just parcel it all off and send it to me at ........

:o Oh well if you wont send me the camera can you send your wife in case she comes up with another:o :D

Looks like you are a Leica owner in one fell swoop with a kit a lot of people would sell their relatives for.

This is the bit from Cameraquests serial number page that JBA was talking about....

All I can say is...Shit You have one of the 1957 Chrome MPs between serial number 151 and 450, but note the caveat.

9/27/1956 MP 1 11 11

2/14/1957 MP 12 500 489

6/24/1957 MP Black 13 150 137

6/24/1957 MP Chrome 151 450 298

6/24/1957 MP Black 213 214 2

Ed. Note: Per Nakamura's "Leica Collection," only 137 black MP's from MP13 to MP150 were produced, and only 251 chrome MP's numbered MP151 to MP402 respectively. He states production was stopped due to poor sales. Buyer beware. For every MP that left the factory, there are probably 20 or more being offered for sale with the same serial number.

ps...The level thingie is a light meter. Theres no on board meter with this camera.

• Like 1

The only MP of this series I've seen for sale on Ebay was priced at around $30 thousand. Then again, it was being sold by Photo Arsenal, which is not exactly known for reality-based pricing.