Flash SF20 unit

Isaac Pereira

Hello, everybody!

Does anyone knoe wich is the guide number of the Leica SF20 flash unit?

Thanks for the answer.

Regards,

Isaac

It's 20 (in metres) hece the name (65 in feet). But if you clip on the wide angle diffuser, for lenses wider than 35mm, then it drops down to 14m.

Thanks John. So, according to a information i received form a teracher, a flash wich have less than a 32 guide number is useless. Wich kind of flash can i attach to the Leica M6 TTL?

Again, many thanks!

obs.Is a pleasure to be a member of the Leica Forum. Thank you all!

Thanks John. So, according to a information i received form a teracher, a flash wich have less than a 32 guide number is useless. Wich kind of flash can i attach to the Leica M6 TTL?

Again, many thanks!

obs.Is a pleasure to be a member of the Leica Forum. Thank you all!

Issac, welcome from me too. Your "teacher" is talking complete nonsense and should be taken out and shot. However if do you want a more powerful flash, you should look for a Metz gun with the Leica adaptor.

By the way if you are keen on flash, get yourself a Nikon SC-17 cord that will allow TTL operation off-camera.

Regards,

Bill

Isaac, I agree with Bill - your teacher is talking nonsense. A guide number of 65 feet means that with ISO 100 film, and an f/2 lens, you would have a maximum flash range of 32.5 feet. With ISO 400 film, it would be 65 feet. Not at all useless in my book!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does it not depend upon what the teacher wants them to do with the flash? If bouncing flash is necessary, then the SF20 is not really the best, for which the Metz systems are better. However, for straight flash, I agree that the SF20 gives good results and even with a diffuser is good enough.

Issac, welcome from me too. Your "teacher" is talking complete nonsense and should be taken out and shot. However if do you want a more powerful flash, you should look for a Metz gun with the Leica adaptor.

By the way if you are keen on flash, get yourself a Nikon SC-17 cord that will allow TTL operation off-camera.

Regards,

Bill

Right, I have an SC17 for the Nikons so that will be useful. does anyone know if Nikon flashes (such as the SB 27) will work TTL with the M6ttl?

Gerry

Right, I have an SC17 for the Nikons so that will be useful. does anyone know if Nikon flashes (such as the SB 27) will work TTL with the M6ttl?

Gerry

No. While the pinouts are the same which lends the synch cords to work flawlessly, the Nikon flash electronics are different than Leicas.

-J.

No. While the pinouts are the same which lends the synch cords to work flawlessly, the Nikon flash electronics are different than Leicas.

-J.

Thanks, I thought it might be too good to be true!

Gerry