The curse of incompatibility

crbirchenhall

Advertisement (gone after registration)

LUFers

Bear with me on this one.

I have just made the biggest mistake in my life. I bought a Microsoft VISTA laptop. I only hope the dealer will be kind to me tomorrow. All - yes all - of my productive software - and all written by Microsoft - does not work on VISTA - ok I am talking basics here - Microsoft Visual Studio C++ v6 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. It reminds me of IBM's push to PS2/OS2 - anyone else remember the death of the IBM domination of the PC?

Moral for Leica - do not try to be revoluationary with the R series. Attempt to follow IBM, and now Microsoft, and "force" a revolution on your loyal customers and you face disaster.

My laptop either goes back to an understanding dealer or is an very, very expensive paper weight.

Contrary to popular opinion, Microsoft did not shoot themselves in the foot on this one. They shot us in the head instead. Their planned obsolescence campaign is why Bill Gates stays at the top of the billionaires list. I've saved a copy of XP and hope to use it as long as I can, but someday I'll have to make a mighty big decision. Whatever the decision I'll probably have to buy new compatible software to replace everything I use today. Bummer.

You have my sympathies too. I am still running my own office on Win2K and have CDs with SPs on them. Interestingly Microsoft is still supporting the platform, although the support is dwindling. A number of my clients are using Win2K too. I have an XP laptop and don't like it, if anything happens to any of my computers I can boot from DOS on a floppy and have full control. There's a lot to be said for it and I'm no longer in the business of making money just so that I can give it to Microsoft.

LUFers

I have just made the biggest mistake in my life. I bought a Microsoft VISTA laptop. I only hope the dealer will be kind to me tomorrow. All - yes all - of my productive software - and all written by Microsoft - does not work on VISTA - ok I am talking basics here - Microsoft Visual Studio C++ v6 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. It reminds me of IBM's push to PS2/OS2 - anyone else remember the death of the IBM domination of the PC?

Moral for Leica - do not try to be revoluationary with the R series. Attempt to follow IBM, and now Microsoft, and "force" a revolution on your loyal customers and you face disaster.

My laptop either goes back to an understanding dealer or is an very, very expensive paper weight.

Micro$oft will end like Edison Trust in the 40's. Once a monopole on the movies (cameras, projectors, films, productions, distribution), the giant has been dwarfed by the rising majors in Hollywood — and by its own rogue policies (so many similarities with M$oft).

M. Steve Ballmer has been nicknamed "The Embalmer" in the industry, because of the many CEO's he offered a deal to better squash them.

He mightily could be M$oft embalmer in the end. It would only be justice.

If anyone of you has tried, like I did, the last version of Office Mac, the number

of bugs in it are positively outrageous : 4 years in the making and several vital

functions which disappear with no reason whatsoever — carelessness ? bureaucracy ?

pick your choice.

I have virtuall y no problems with Vistausing pcb layout software, 2D CAD etc.

Lot of stuff can be run in XP mode if needed.. The only headaches is caused by printer drivers, esp. if you installed 64 bit version.

HP seems to be slowest supporting their printers.Even expensive ones.

LUFers

I have just made the biggest mistake in my life. /quote]

No Chris - you can't have married my ex-wife! Seriously, I sympathise having "upgraded" several pieces of soft-in-the-head ware and seen more problems than advantages. I must join the Grumpy Old Man club having previously been quite a fan of technology. I think "progess" and "change" are ways for the rich to get richer and nothing more.I can't offer any solutions other than suggesting a disc format and installing Windows XP.

I make part of my business selling HP Professional CAD Workstations... O.S. is bundled into... HP is a serious company in this product line, and this has been the story (in Europe) in the last 12 months or so :

- March 2007 : a number of models are provided only with Vista installed and Vista recovery CD...

- May 2007 : Vista installed, but they clarify you have the right to install XP in lieu... media must be self - provided...

- July 2007 : Vista installed, Vista recovery CD provided, you can send a mail and receive the XP CD from HP...

- October 2007 : Vista installed, XP CD provided together with the machine...

- January 2008 : Vista AND XP installed, you can choose at setup which one to deploy, XP recovery CD provided, you can mail and receive the Vista recovery CD...

A laughing story... really a MS lemon...

LUFers

I have just made the biggest mistake in my life. I bought a Microsoft VISTA laptop.

Ha! I've just been watching these mac adverts. Funny. Well, if you're a mac user. Which I guess you're not. But you could be!

Apple - Get a Mac - Watch The TV Ads

It's been a while since I switched to mac, but I recall it felt like waking from a coma. Struggling to understand why the world seemed to be inside out, why everything felt wrong and then emerging into the light and realising, with immense happiness, that I'd never have to go back there again. :D

> I make most of my income from an 800,000 line computer program written in a now

> obsolete Microsoft programming language.

VB6. That has got to hurt. Maybe GNU will add it...

I still use Fortran 77 and MASM 5. Running on WIN98se booted into DOS real mode with "Bootgui=0". Use Pharlap Tools for extended memory. A new computer really screams booted into DOS. And DOS does not complain when you take over the Inetrrupt Vectors.