Incompatible M Lens with Leica M to L Adapter?

Hoody

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

This is my first post and I've recently acquired a Leica SL body to use some of my existing M lenses from my M2. 

Upon testing them with the official Leica M to L adapter, all but one work flawlessly. 

For some reason the Leitz Summaron-M 35mm f/2.8 (ungoggled) won't infinity focus. It works fine on the M2, but on the SL with the adapter it won't focus past approximately 30-40 meters, which makes the DOF scale redundant and landscapes in low light problematic. 

Any help in getting the lens to achieve infinity focus on the SL would be greatly appreciated. 

I have no experience on that lens with my SL2 so I perhaps shouldnt answer. The only reason I can technically think is that some protuberance in that lense prevents the lense to fully wirthdraw and therefore focus to infinity. Otherwise it is illogical.

Something similar to 50mm Summicrom DR on M digital bodies.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:18 PM, Photoworks said:

Fit you take off the Goggles?

I can only think that the flat distance has changed on the lens, sounds like it need repair. sounds like the lens is too far our from sensor

I use the 135mm goggle lens on the SL2 just fine

They were never present on this model, it was bought new with my M2, still had the original receipts when I bought it. 

I've since been able to try it on a Panasonic S5 with the same adapter and the problem persists, so it does appear to need a service. 

I've inquired with a few repair agents, so we'll see what can be done. 

Such a shame as I was planning to take just that lens on holiday, ah well, it's a good excuse to take the rigid 50mm f/2 Summicron-M and my Nikon 24mm f/2.8 AIS and 85mm f/2 AIS, that should cover all the bases. 

Jean-Michel had my idea...both the M2 and Summaron are decades old, and it is likely that things might be slightly off after that time. With film and normal taking apertures it is not that likely that you would be able to tell, unless you were always photographing infinity at 2.8... If all your other lenses are fine and you are using the official adapter, it stands to reason that the lens is the one at fault.