Scanning: Emulsion Up or Down

Kent10D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very interesting points made especially recently by CrazyIvan865. I can confirm some of the observations mentioned therein also regarding difference between scanned negative and silver gelatin print. I am glad that this post supports some of my own observations with which I had a hard time believing myself. Grain appears much more visible on digitized negatives whereas it is much less visible in wet prints of the same negative even at 11x14" print size.

I gave up on using a scanner to digitize my 35 mm negatives. I am using the photography method mentioned earlier here. As light source I find a letter-size LED light table ideal which has very homogeneous light from center to corner. I use my tripod with attached camera and macro lens on top and making sure that the senor is fully parallel to the table. f/11 ensures sharpness over slight unevenness of the negative in its plastic holder. A high MP full frame sensor is advantageous to get an excellent resolution, too. This method is also faster than digitizing negatives with a flatbed scanner at higher dpi resolution.

I am always digitizing with negative emulsion side DOWN (meaning the light source goes through the emulsion side first). Reason for this was originally that I was afraid that the shiny negative side could potentially cause unwanted reflections if laid onto the light table. Not sure if this is true, I never tried it this way since my photos of the negatives in B&W and in color just turn out fine with emulsion down.

Most scanners recommend to have the film base side facing the sensor, but like almost everyone on this thread, I found out that having the emulsion side face the scanner produce sharper results. The results are very subtle, as is the difference between a 100$ lens and a 5000$ lens ;)