Agent M10

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest rweisz

Over the years I've known hundreds of pros who have a Leica rangefinder either in there bag or back at there studio, for shoots where its advantages are needed. I know dozens of them even now who have bought an M8 for the same purpose. Some of them have already been named in this thread. Most of them also have a full d-SLR system (mostly Canon, a few Nikon) which they use extensively. Other than on Leica forum I have not personally known any pros who use the M8 exclusively for all there shooting, or who use a Leica SLR or DMR at all.

Tina Manley -

images by Tina Manley

I don't know how "famous" she is, but she is good - and I'll take good over "famous" any day...

Tina is now using at least one M8, and if she doesn't have a second one it's on her wish list. She also uses a Canon DSLR and comparing the image quality from the two systems she says that she's learned her lesson and she's looking forward to the R10.

Guest darkstar2004
Interesting that a Leica rep will be in attendence along with Manos...

I'm signed up for the workshop - the word is that the Leica rep will be bringing M8 cameras & lenses for people to shoot with during the workshop, if they wish to do so (I'll stick with my MP). It's one of the perks that goes with attending Maine Photographic Workshops.

From what I can gather, Mr. Manos has been a longtime Leica user. He has taught at MPW for the last 19 summers. His book, A Greek Portfolio, contains many beautiful, powerful, reflective images which he created using a Leica M.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not famous, but I make 90% of my income with Leica, film and digital cameras. I will be ordering a second M8 in May, to complete my Leica system. I still use Nikon DSLR's, but not as often as I used to. My clients needs are forever changing, and Leica has been filling the bill, for now.

• 4 months later...
FWIW:

Stanley Greene, Kadir van Lohuizen, Gary Knight, Bruno Stevens, Pep Bonet, Philip Blenkinsop, Alex Webb

Actualy Kadir doesn't use a Leica.

Not on a regular basis anyway.

He told me he tried to use them but because he is left eyed, he couldn't use it.

He also found the fact that everytime he winds a frame he almost pulls his right eye out of it's socket kind of bothersome.

He told me he tried to use them but because he is left eyed, he couldn't use it.

He also found the fact that everytime he winds a frame he almost pulls his right eye out of it's socket kind of bothersome.

Suggest to him that he tries a Leicavit or Rapidwinder. Perfect for the left eye shooter (of which I'm one). Very easy to take multiple shots without removing the camera from the eye.

Guest darkstar2004

Nenad Bojic.

New Page 1

See LFI 2/2008 pg. 26...

OMG - I just showed this guy's website to my wife and she asked, "Is that photo made with that Electrolux lens you've been wanting ?" :D:D:D:D (She's not a blonde, BTW - she just sounds blonde...)

What I hoped to hear was that simply using a Leica will make me a famous top pro photographer - even if I shoot only holiday snaps. All those famous names do give me something to live up to. At least I can't blame the equipment.

If you search the Magnum blog for Leica you only find three entries...... Maybe equipment is not their main interest in life. Nevertheless it would be fun to know what the percentage of them use Leica.

Guest darkstar2004
What I hoped to hear was that simply using a Leica will make me a famous top pro photographer - even if I shoot only holiday snaps. All those famous names do give me something to live up to. At least I can't blame the equipment.

Owning and using a Leica camera is an inspiring thing - it inspires me to really work at imagemaking, to create work that lives up to the name and reputation of the revered marque that Leica is and has been over the decades.

I always work hard at creating good images no matter what camera & lens I'm using, but when I pick up my MP, the price of poker somehow goes up...

I ran across this article (here) in the Washington Post about Jeff Ascough, his M, and available light. When I first went to his site after reading the article, I was immensely impressed with his work. Months later I showed the site to a friend who said, "Big deal." I noticed that the character of the new photographs had changed. After looking around, I found that Ascough had traded in the M for a Canon. Quite a difference between the M and the Canon (compare the article's photographs).

Afaik he still shoots Leica privately.

Guest jimmy pro
What I hoped to hear was that simply using a Leica will make me a famous top pro photographer

It will...but only on internet forums with "Leica" in the title, and only if you cop a smug, condesending attitude insinnuating that all the famous top pro photographers who use some other brand have lower standards then you ;)

But to add to the list of famous top pro photographers who happen to use Leicas (as well as Canon for SLR's): Martin Hyers and Andrea Gentl (hubby & wife team out of NYC). You won't find mention on there site about Leica because there all about the image not pissing on other people's camera choices, but if you want proof have a look @ the Nov. '07 issue of Conde Nast Traveller they did the photo's for the Myanmar story, and in the opening section about "What we travel with" there's a pic of Andie and Marty with Leica's around there necks.