Pros Using Leica

Agent M10

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW, I have been made aware of the following feature article in the current (March 2008) issue of allure magazine (USA): "The Influencers," by Lindsy Van Gelder, pp. 190ff.

One of these "Influencers," "The Perfectionist," "master retoucher Pascal Dangin," gets a splashy two page spread, pp. 200-201, and in about a third of a page sidebar on p. 203, he says: "My favorite camera is a digital Leica M8 with a Noctilux 50-millimeter lens -- in very low lights you can achieve a lot of detail and great depth of field."

I am not normally an allure reader myself, but when this item was brought to my attention this AM, I was reminded of this thread. The spread on Mr Dangin is interesting, and he goes on to say also that he likes Apple products, & the Richard Avedon/Truman Capote book, "Observations."

Longtime freelancer Ashley Gilbertson, dyed-in-wool Leica M film user, became "famous" as an M8 user. See his fine new book: "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: A Photographer's Chronicle of the Iraq War," U Chicago Press. His work ought to be featured in LFI, if it hasn't yet been.

I ran across this article (here) in the Washington Post about Jeff Ascough, his M, and available light. When I first went to his site after reading the article, I was immensely impressed with his work. Months later I showed the site to a friend who said, "Big deal." I noticed that the character of the new photographs had changed. After looking around, I found that Ascough had traded in the M for a Canon. Quite a difference between the M and the Canon (compare the article's photographs).

Joel Meyerowitz: Joel Meyerowitz : Photographer Magrack Video

Also on: YouTube - Joel Meyerowitz On Street Photography

Jeff Mermelstein:

Part 1a:

Part 1b:

Part 2:

And another stunning example: Walquiria & Leica M6 ;)

YouTube - Walquiria & Leica M6

All the best,

Ruben

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

riccis - you may not be "famous," but I just looked at your website & you look pretty "top" to me. Nice stuff; esp in the junkyard; and where did you get subways in Fla?

storybrown:

I thank you for your kind comments about my work. Unfortunately, the only Subway in Florida is the one that sells sandwiches :D . Those images were shot in NYC... I am very fortunate to be commissioned by clients from all over the world hence the variety of locations.

BTW, I am releasing a new site and blog that will feature some of my latest M work very soon.

Cheers,

Riccis

Guest darkstar2004

Tina Manley -

images by Tina Manley

From her artist's statement:

I have traveled to more than 34 countries photographing people. I hope that the importance of personal relationships is communicated through my photographs. Photography is the language I use to translate others cultures that may seem foreign to us. I try to capture an emotion or instance of everyday life that can be universally understood to show that the people of the world are all more alike than we are different.

My cameras are Leica rangefinders and I prefer to use black and white film. The cameras are unobtrusive, quiet, durable, and wonderful for low-light photography. The black and white film portrays people and light without the distraction of color.

I don't know how "famous" she is, but she is good - and I'll take good over "famous" any day...