Summaron-M 35mm f/3.5 for M2

barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Luigi,

Yes, I do agree with you. I don't think the filing of the lens is a pity.No M3, ever, will show a 35mm frame.The filing just increased the lens useability on the other M's.

The true M2 version of this lens is truly rare. I am a Leica photographer since 1973, but I've never saw one! I think they are uglier (aluminium) than the version we have, but nevertheless, I want one!

There is, however, a still rarer version of this lens. It's the 1955 version. The ring on wich the dept of field scale is engraved is solid, not split as on our version. It is shown in Lagers Leica Illustrated Guide III of 1979, page 12. Just to wet your appetite.

Hi Erik, eh eh, me too noticed that strange different bottom ring in Lager's book... oh well... too a little difference to justify a difficult (and maybe costly) chase... :o

The M2 version... well I passed by an item, seem...10 or 12 years ago: stupid, I never saw another for sale... I didn't remember its look: really was an alu body ? similar to the 2,8 ? Ugly... What is funny is that in the M2 version one of the engravings on the front is upside-down respect to the other 3,5s... i.e., both the "Summaron..." and the "Ernst Leitz..." engravings have the same orientation. If you are so lucky to find TWO in New Zealand... well, the worst is for me... :D send me a PM...

• 1 year later...

"There is, however, a still rarer version of this lens. It's the 1955 version. The ring on which the depth of field scale is engraved is solid, not split as on our version"

You mean like mine? This is the same as Luigi's (see 14 above) The centre pic in Lager p12 (1273751) is of this type, surely?

Regards, John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jpattison
confusion

This is a 1955, and was made for the M3 using the 35mm viewfinder in the camera accessory shoe.

"The M2 version one of the engravings on the front is upside-down respect to the other 3,5s... i.e., both the "Summaron..." and the "Ernst Leitz..." engravings have the same orientation"

But Luigi, this one has that, as does Lager's 1955 one.

(unfortunately... look under the 22 on the first photo, the lug has been filed for M2 use! - not by me!)

Regards,

John

Edited by jpattison

jc,

Your's is the earlier split DoF ring, as mentioned by Erik, and if Luigi could give a side view of his base, it might be the same as yours. Mine appears to be Erik's elusive "rarer" 1955 model.

regards,

John

OK

This one is from 1955.

3.5-35.jpg

Edited by jc_braconi

This is a 1955, and was made for the M3 using the 35mm viewfinder in the camera accessory shoe.

"The M2 version one of the engravings on the front is upside-down respect to the other 3,5s... i.e., both the "Summaron..." and the "Ernst Leitz..." engravings have the same orientation"

But Luigi, this one has that, as does Lager's 1955 one.

(unfortunately... look under the 22 on the first photo, the lug has been filed for M2 use! - not by me!)

Regards,

John

Ugh... maybe I wasn't clear in my statement... better to show one (bad pic found on the Net, I haven't one...:o) :

The engravings' orientation is different from the items hereby depicted, and from the number it's clear it's a very late version, surely for M2... I think it can be the most uncommon.

(BTW : nice to see such an old thread resurging after so many months... great forum is our !)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

... it could be even a late SM E39 version...

Mine is a SM version, with a No. very close to your pic.

The M-mount 2.8 Version with an earlier No. had the same regular orientation of engravings on the front - though they left out "Ernst"...

tobey,

These early lenses did not ever use an attached viewfinder. they were made to focus at all distances because they are a regular lens (lens item 11105 SOONC-M) made from 1954. They were designed to use an external viewfinder mounted on the camera's accessory shoe (see JC's pic at No26 above). Only later did Leitz make an attached UN-REMOVEABLE finder that adjusted the view through the M3 camera finder (lens item 11107 SOONC-MW) from 1956, along with a version of this earlier model, but with one bayonet lug shorter to bring the 35mm finder frame in the camera viewfinder of the M2 (lens item 11305 SOONC-MT) from 1958.

There is no focusing issue.

Regards,

John

Edited by jpattison
correction