Rising Prices from Leica?

craig talmy

Guest flatfour

darkstar - With respect I don't think you have ever been in manufacturing business yourself or you would know that maufacturers build in warranty expectations - very high on new products. Some of the Leica recalls will be offset by compensation from suppliers. I should be surprised if Leica were put out by the level of problems on the Digilux 2 and the M8. The greatest problem with product recalls is product image. Only customers can say twhether that has been excessively adverse. I have had several Canon products some of which have had faults and each time I learnt that I was not alone and many had had the same fault. One of these was a chip problem which was paid for by the chip manufacturer including the rectification and carriage. It's not all bad news for Leica, but clearly they would rather not have product recalls.

Guest Cordell
maufacturers build in warranty expectations - very high on new products.

But one has to wonder whether Leica underestimated it on the M8. I recall it took them almost a month to decide that the IR [over]sensitivity was a "design feature"...that is, once they admitted it existed :rolleyes: So very honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they hadn't factored-in giving away 2 IR filters to every mother's son who bought an M8.

Some of the Leica recalls will be offset by compensation from suppliers.

If Leica acknowledges there's a problem and issues a recall, maybe. Otherwise they might need to do something creative, like oh, I don't know, like say, try to get people to pay to replace a certain part with a higher-than-normal failure rate by playing-up a fortuitous advantage of the replacement part ;)

Yes, same here. I´am glad to have started early enough, leicawise at least ...

Good to see you again around this site, William Downunder !

Best

And hello to you Karl! ..I don't see you around here too often either. :) I guess you are too busy taking photographs from around lovely Berlin.

I still owe you some photos from 2006, and may deliver these personally if you attend Photokina this year. But I am diverting from this thread, and will send email privately.

Cheers from Downunder