can you use daylight film in tungsten light?

disconnekt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently came back to film photography after going fully digital for several years. I love the colors you can get from shooting slides, but I shoot both indoor and out and don't want to have one camera for tungsten and one for daylight film. Since it's been so many years since I shot film, I was wondering if anyone else has experience printing and/or scanning from slides shot on daylight film in tungsten light. Is it possible to correctly color balance? I don't mind not having the original color-balanced, but for scans and prints obviously it's a necessity...

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Daylight film used in tungsten lighting will have a yellow colour cast. It is possible to correct this in PhotoShop - add a Curves Adjustment Layer and mess around with the curves. You could also try opening the file in Adobe Camera Raw and playing with the colour balance.

If you end up with an image that you just can't get the balance right, then simply convert it to black and white. That's what I do :)

I recently came back to film photography after going fully digital for several years. I love the colors you can get from shooting slides, but I shoot both indoor and out and don't want to have one camera for tungsten and one for daylight film. Since it's been so many years since I shot film, I was wondering if anyone else has experience printing and/or scanning from slides shot on daylight film in tungsten light. Is it possible to correctly color balance? I don't mind not having the original color-balanced, but for scans and prints obviously it's a necessity...

OF course you can. That's what filters are for.

Is it possible to correctly color balance? I don't mind not having the original color-balanced, but for scans and prints obviously it's a necessity...

Open in Photoshop, open up the curves dialogue box, click on the white eyedropper (far right) click in the image the part that should be white– the image should now be balanced.

Mark

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the filter, of course, but it reduces the sensitivity by more than half, which kind of defeats the possibility of being able to shoot handheld indoors....

I was wondering if anyone had experience converting tungsten shots in Photoshop and if it's possible to get a good result or not? Of course, I can always convert to B&W to save a shot but that's not ideal.

Yes, the filter, of course, but it reduces the sensitivity by more than half, which kind of defeats the possibility of being able to shoot handheld indoors....

I was wondering if anyone had experience converting tungsten shots in Photoshop and if it's possible to get a good result or not? Of course, I can always convert to B&W to save a shot but that's not ideal.

That's what the white balance is there for. Even your chemical photo lab will adjust color prints to neutral colors. In Photoshop it is much easier and you have the controls at your finger tips. At the same time you will not have to worry about filter factors (losing light) or even worry about buying blue filters for different filter threads - Photoshop is your friend here.

Yes, like my previous post stated, its easy in PS:

90191820.jpg

Do it all the time, like others have stated, PS can do it.

Mark

I scanned my test roll yesterday and I must say that I cannot get a satisfactory result using PS's white balance tools to correct shots in tungsten light. I tweak and tweak away, but the photos are impossible to correctly color balance. The yellow is just too strong, and when I get close to a balanced color, the colors look dull and washed out, like an old photo.

I scanned my test roll yesterday and I must say that I cannot get a satisfactory result using PS's white balance tools to correct shots in tungsten light. I tweak and tweak away, but the photos are impossible to correctly color balance. The yellow is just too strong, and when I get close to a balanced color, the colors look dull and washed out, like an old photo.

You try to do the impossible. A slide has not enough latitude for this kind of correction. Look at the channels of one of your slides exposed under tungsten light. The blue layer will be underexposed and the red layer overexposed. To be correctible there must be corresponding details in all layers. But for that the slide would have to be very flat. And this is the reason why shots on negatives can be corrected to a much larger extent. But even then: For best results you have to use filters, even rather strong filters. Sorry for you. Digital has advantages.

You try to do the impossible. A slide has not enough latitude for this kind of correction. Look at the channels of one of your slides exposed under tungsten light. The blue layer will be underexposed and the red layer overexposed. To be correctible there must be corresponding details in all layers. But for that the slide would have to be very flat. And this is the reason why shots on negatives can be corrected to a much larger extent. But even then: For best results you have to use filters, even rather strong filters. Sorry for you. Digital has advantages.

I think you are right, I was trying to do the impossible. It must certainly be true that negative film has much more latitude, not only for color but also for exposure.

In case anyone wants to have a go at it, here is one of the pictures to play with.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yea you are probably right. I missed the bit about slide too.:o Give it a decent go later.

The picture has not to much contrast. So there is some hope. But for this kind of picture you are better with bounced flash. My quick fix: