can you use daylight film in tungsten light?

disconnekt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curves tool of GIMP. Most image manipulation programs have equivalent tools. But you might want to read some good introduction before using it. For better results you should try to get rid of the red yellow cast using the possibilties of the scanner. You have then a better base for fine tuning. Anyway in my opinion this is only the way to go when you cannot use flash or negative film.

Is this in line with what you saw at the time?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It was just Curves. I set the white point on the brightest white of the bib border, set the black point on the tail of the blue fish under the chin and chose a midtone on the gray of the spoon.

That was pretty much it.

Hope you can get the same result on your end on the full image. Is your monitor calibrated?

BR,

Think

Think, I did what you said and it worked like a charm. I used to use Curves all the time but since I've started using Lightroom, which has a decent White Balance tool, I forgot all about it. In this case the LR's tool was not up to the task, but with Curves it works great. I tried Auto Levels and it, too, gives a decent result.

Thanks again!

You can usually make a respectable conversion, but it's better/easier if you use a filter.

My 2p.

Rolo

Edit, on reflection there is no difference hardly between this and Think result and i wasn't trying o undermine his result.. I thought I saw several other attempts in the thread.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The key is to train your eye to evaluate an image. Once you have done color correction for a long time, scanned a lot of slides etc, you begin to get it. The key is to look at an image and be able to evaluate "is it a little red? a little green? could it use some more blue? does it need it in the highlights or the shadows? What should be the pure white? What is a warmer white? Cooler gray?" etc etc. Once you start being able to look at an image and say: "Hmm, that needs a bit more yellow in the skin tones, some magenta in the sky..." you will have a lot easier time correcting your images. One helpful bit is when you open the curves dialog, if you take the eyedropper and click it on an area of the image, it will tell you exactly where on the curve that tone is. That makes it much easier to modify the curve. If you want to lighten a shadow, but not ones lighter or darker than it, click on it, find exactly where it is on the curve and then boost it. It works the same way for colors...