MP: Film stuck, cannot rewind

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I loaded the film, and before I properly closed the door, I cranked the advance lever and tensed the film with the rewind knob. When I noticed that the door was not properly closed, I removed the bottom plate, pushed the canister,, closed the door and the bottom plate. Now I want to rewind, but the film is so tense that the rewind knob won’t move. I also can’t keep shooting because the film is not loaded properly—two red dots are not rotating. What should I do?

Simple answer...using either a loading bag or a dark room or closet (make sure it is light tight...sit in it for 10 or so minutes for your eyes to adjust to the darkness, then look for light leaks to seal). Once satisfied, open the camera and manually remove the film. Attach and rewind it into the cartridge, leaving a leader out. Given your description of events, I'd just sacrifice the rest of the roll and develop it if you took any shots. If you didn't get off any shots, you can try and reload it in the camera and shoot as normal. If the camera continues to exhibit a problem and you are confident of proper loading, you may need it to be looked at by a technician.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, spydrxx said:

Simple answer...using either a loading bag or a dark room or closet (make sure it is light tight...sit in it for 10 or so minutes for your eyes to adjust to the darkness, then look for light leaks to seal). Once satisfied, open the camera and manually remove the film. Attach and rewind it into the cartridge, leaving a leader out. Given your description of events, I'd just sacrifice the rest of the roll and develop it if you took any shots. If you didn't get off any shots, you can try and reload it in the camera and shoot as normal. If the camera continues to exhibit a problem and you are confident of proper loading, you may need it to be looked at by a technician.

Just did that. Was about to respond here, but you already provided the answer ;) Now it’s all ok.

I didn’t shoot anything with this roll, I just loaded it and noticed that door wasn’t properly closed.

Bummer I had to return home to do this.

Edited by hirohhhh
  • Like 1

Have you exposed any frames already?  

If so, your only option really is to put the camera in a changing bag (if you have one) and open the bottom and pull the film out.  Then rewind it into the film canister by hand.  Once you have it rewound, you can take everything out of the bag, and reload it properly.  Cover the lens with a lens cap, and use the smallest aperture possible.  Then shoot out the number of frames you have already exposed, to get back to where you were previously and not ruin your images.  

If you don't have a changing bag, you can try a *completely* dark room, but the slightest bit of light (a watch, a slit under the door, a clock, etc...) will fog your film...so it has to be _DARK_.  

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, hirohhhh said:

and before I properly closed the door, I cranked the advance lever and tensed the film with the rewind knob.

Don't do anything like that. Just literally load the film as a advertised inside the camera. No tightening, no film advancing, or sprocket holes checking required when the door is open and the bottom plate not yet attached. 

Insert the canister half way, pull out the leader as depicted in the diagram. Push down the canister in parallel with the leader. Close the door, attach the bottom plate and only then advance the film. It should only take 15 seconds. It’s the most convenient film-loading, only surpassed by electric automatic loading. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hansvons said:

Don't do anything like that. Just literally load the film as a advertised inside the camera. No tightening, no film advancing, or sprocket holes checking required when the door is open and the bottom plate not yet attached. 

Insert the canister half way, pull out the leader as depicted in the diagram. Push down the canister in parallel with the leader. Close the door, attach the bottom plate and only then advance the film. It should only take 15 seconds. It’s the most convenient film-loading, only surpassed by electric automatic loading. 

I did that, but I didn’t noticed that the door are not properly closed.

• Like 1