Adding a film M - swap anyone?

Vieri

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, I am planning to add a film M to my 2 M8s (after selling, a while ago, the M6 - which was one of the worse ideas ever!). I know that the forum isn't for selling/buying ads, I know the ad section, I have posted ads there too, I know all that but I wonder: there isn't a "swap" section on the forum or something - I would swap a 21/2.8 CLA'd and coded by Leica (or a Zeiss 2/35, or a Zeiss 2/50, or combinations of the above) for a MP or M7 (preferably black), or for a M6 (in both cases, plus or minus cash accordingly). I am also interested in swapping with a Coolscan 9000 if anyone has one she or he doesn't need. If interested, PM me - for comments on the "getting back to film" idea, feel free to add your comments to this thread :D I am looking forward for opinions & ideas!

Just use the Buy and Sell section to advertise your swap, please.

Andy, would be very happy to do so: but, which section of the buy and sell? Please advice - I have a feeling that neither the buy nor the sell would be right for this and the ad would be lost in space. It would be great to have a "swap" section in the buy & sell!

By the way, about the buy & sell section - it would appreciate if the moderators checked on ads that advertise items now sold; many times the seller just adds SOLD in the title, and leave the ad there with the result of clogging the section and having active ads pushed back into the oblivion of the back pages - thanks! :D

vieri - I will add a comment, I have the M8 and after using it a while I decided I wanted to give film a go and I am glad I did.

It is hard to describe the experience, recently I was out with the MP and shot 3 rolls of HP5 and after I developed them at home I had a lot of good shots, however the experience wasn't about the photos at the time, it was more of just being out in the world seeing different things through the viewfinder and depressing the shutter button then moving along. I got a good shot or not, it didn't matter at the time it was just a joy in doing it.

Of course that is fine for me as this is only my hobby, and as a result I am now using my M8, which I continue to enjoy, in manual exposure, set to ISO 400 as if I had a roll of film in it and keep the display off and don't look at the images until I load them in the computer, select them in Bridge and view them in slide show.

Weird, but I get more enjoyment of the moment when I'm actually taking the photos then being concerned about "what I got".

If you pay attention to the threads you may have noticed as I have how many people are doing the same thing as you are considering including developing their own film.

Andy, would be very happy to do so: but, which section of the buy and sell? Please advice - I have a feeling that neither the buy nor the sell would be right for this and the ad would be lost in space. It would be great to have a "swap" section in the buy & sell!

By the way, about the buy & sell section - it would appreciate if the moderators checked on ads that advertise items now sold; many times the seller just adds SOLD in the title, and leave the ad there with the result of clogging the section and having active ads pushed back into the oblivion of the back pages - thanks! :D

The advantage of keeping "sold" items in the list is that sellers can see how much similar things have sold for. Ditto buyers, of course, although I am sure that suggestions for a better solution would be considered by Andreas.

I would place your swap in the "Sell" section, with some indication of what you would consider a valid swap.

vieri - I will add a comment, I have the M8 and after using it a while I decided I wanted to give film a go and I am glad I did.

It is hard to describe the experience, recently I was out with the MP and shot 3 rolls of HP5 and after I developed them at home I had a lot of good shots, however the experience wasn't about the photos at the time, it was more of just being out in the world seeing different things through the viewfinder and depressing the shutter button then moving along. I got a good shot or not, it didn't matter at the time it was just a joy in doing it.

Of course that is fine for me as this is only my hobby, and as a result I am now using my M8, which I continue to enjoy, in manual exposure, set to ISO 400 as if I had a roll of film in it and keep the display off and don't look at the images until I load them in the computer, select them in Bridge and view them in slide show.

Weird, but I get more enjoyment of the moment when I'm actually taking the photos then being concerned about "what I got".

If you pay attention to the threads you may have noticed as I have how many people are doing the same thing as you are considering including developing their own film.

Hello Richard, indeed I am following the forum and seeing many people sticking with/going back to film, and I am pretty sold into doing the same as soon as I will find an affordable M6, M7 or - best of all - MP. I would love also to develop my own film, as in the old days, it will take me a few minutes to get what I need and set up everything (since I moved here 8 years ago I didn't actually develop one film) - my place here isn't big enough for printing, but developing+scanning is certainly feasible. So where are you in Istanbul? PM me if you feel like getting together at some point :D

Do sellers have the ability to delete their ads once sold?

I would place your swap in the "Sell" section, with some indication of what you would consider a valid swap.

Hello Andy, indeed, if you click the "SOLD IT!" button, rather than editing the title, the ad will disappear in cyberspace (at least, this is what happened to two of my ads when I did so. The "SOLD IT!" button is down the ad window, under "admin options" or something like that... :D I will then edit my ad for the sale of the 21mm adding the swap options there, thanks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I count myself lucky that my disillusion with digital set in before I made a final decision about the M8: the problems that showed-up in the first few months with that camera gave me time to think before buying, and now I've discovered that there's an enormous world of legacy (and new!) films and film-cameras out there, that are not a product of consumer-driven built-in obsolescence, and which have given me much more pleasure and satisfaction than digital cameras ever did.

And I certainly recognize the feeling of being 'in-the-moment' with a film camera - with digital there was always an immediate anxiety about the shot; with film there's (inevitably) a 'zen' acceptance of what you got.

Of course everyone's experience is different (need I add?).