Leica 35mm Summicron or Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-70mm SL3

daned

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can't make up my mind regarding which one to get for the SL3, 35mm price is lighter to carry but the 24-70 gives the option of a wider lens as not concerned about the zoom, any thoughts positives or negatives. Is there a big sharpness loss compared to the prime?

Edited by daned

Both will be good enough.  If that is your only lens, I would not want to sacrifice flexibility for size. Unless you are a prime shooter and plan to add below and above eventually. But I would assume that when spending 9k+, you know your needs..😉

I first tried the 24-70mm but it was just simply too large and heavy for me (I'm used to M and compact primes) and the lens barrel creep was not something I could get used to. I then got the 35mm Summicron-SL Non-APO, and I couldn't be happier even though I have been more of a 50mm shooter. That lens, coupled with the Lumix 100mm Macro can do pretty much everything I need the SL system to do for my use.

• Like 1

Since I have my 50 Summicron-APO in repair at Leica for a failed firmware update, I got a Panasonic 50mm for $350.

Leica 35 and 50mm lenses are most likely rebranded Panasonic lenses.

To me, the Panasonic does well on this camera and the images look good. Sure with the APO I would get 5% better details, but it is more money, weight, and slower focusing.
When I do portraits with the APO lenses I find myself retouching many more photos because it is too harsh on some skins.

So don't exclude alternatives like Panasonic and Sigma.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

all these images where taken with f-stop 1.8 to f4

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, huwm said:

yes both the Panasonic, my preference, and Sigma lenses are excellent but surely you have to have one APO?

I have the Leica 24-70 VE and it’s a beautiful lens on my SL2-S. It’s known for sucking in dust though, and mine needed to be returned for cleaning - no issues since. I also own a couple of M lenses and a few of the Sigma i Contemporaries which, because I prefer an aperture ring on the lens barrel, are (to me) the next best thing to an M lens but with a/f.

I’m not planning to change my SL2-S into an SL3 but, if I did, I’d be interested to see how the Sigmas stood up to the 60mp sensor. My guess is that the f2 versions (at least) such as the 35,50,65 would perform well.  

On the other hand, I would love to try a Leica Apo Summicron on the SL2-S. The one question I do have (apart from the cost! 😂) is whether I would see the Apo’s full benefit if the lens out-resolves the 24mp SL2-S sensor? Or is that a really stupid question? 

I got both Summicrons, the 35 and 50, excellent lenses, light and quick AF, and Leica build quality (largely metal and weather-proof). I also have my M lenses but it's nice to have AF as well. I don't need APO's to make good photos. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chris Nebard said:

I have the Leica 24-70 VE and it’s a beautiful lens on my SL2-S. It’s known for sucking in dust though, and mine needed to be returned for cleaning - no issues since. I also own a couple of M lenses and a few of the Sigma i Contemporaries which, because I prefer an aperture ring on the lens barrel, are (to me) the next best thing to an M lens but with a/f.

I’m not planning to change my SL2-S into an SL3 but, if I did, I’d be interested to see how the Sigmas stood up to the 60mp sensor. My guess is that the f2 versions (at least) such as the 35,50,65 would perform well.  

On the other hand, I would love to try a Leica Apo Summicron on the SL2-S. The one question I do have (apart from the cost! 😂) is whether I would see the Apo’s full benefit if the lens out-resolves the 24mp SL2-S sensor? Or is that a really stupid question? 

I traded 'down' from the 47mp SL2 to the 24Mp SL2S and haven't noticed any real difference in terms of resolution though admittedly I tend not to crop much nor pixel peep.

The Sigma Art 35mm f1.4 which I had for a year or so was very close indeed to the APO which replaced it as was the Art 85mm which I swapped for the nearly as good Panasonic S, never tried the Art 50mm f1.4 as I am happy with the Panasonic S and it's not really my focal length.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, huwm said:

I traded 'down' from the 47mp SL2 to the 24Mp SL2S and haven't noticed any real difference in terms of resolution though admittedly I tend not to crop much nor pixel peep.

The Sigma Art 35mm f1.4 which I had for a year or so was very close indeed to the APO which replaced it as was the Art 85mm which I swapped for the nearly as good Panasonic S, never tried the Art 50mm f1.4 as I am happy with the Panasonic S and it's not really my focal length.

Yes, if I were to consider an Apo, the 35 would be my choice too. 

On 3/11/2024 at 6:59 AM, daned said:

Can't make up my mind regarding which one to get for the SL3, 35mm price is lighter to carry but the 24-70 gives the option of a wider lens as not concerned about the zoom, any thoughts positives or negatives. Is there a big sharpness loss compared to the prime?

My own rationalization here is that I got into the SL system for the Leica lenses.

With that in mind, I would not choose either the 35mm Summicron-SL ASPH (a rebadged Panasonic 35 f1.8) or the 24-70 (a rebadged Sigma 24-70 f2.8).  If those are the only options in your budget, I would get the original Panasonic and Sigma versions and forgo paying the Leica premium.  This would leave more funds to get another Panasonic (maybe the 50mm f1.8) or another Sigma option.  Watch the March 2023 Red Dot Forum Camera Talk presentation on the 35mm and 50mm Summicron-SL lenses to see how similarly they perform to the Panasonic versions (IMHO, close enough to not be worth the Leica rebadge premium).

My own take is that I knew from the start I wanted at least one APO-SL lens and if I settled for anything less, I would always wonder how the APO would perform compared to what I settled for.  Alas, I also don't believe in half measures so although my primary motivation for picking up a SL2-S was to use M-mount lenses, I ended up waiting and waiting and eventually finding excellent bargains on a used 35 APO-SL (as my first autofocus lens) and a 50 Summilux-SL (both in new condition and at less than half the regular retail price).  My rationalization for these two choices is the 35 APO-SL and the 50 Summilux-SL are touted as among the best 35 and 50 mm lenses ever made by any lens manufacturer.

Sure, no one needs a Leica to make good photos but if you are already in the Leica system, my thinking is to get the best lenses possible, or else what's the point?

* usual disclaimers apply:
- to each their own
- work within your budget

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Kreeshp said:

My own rationalization here is that I got into the SL system for the Leica lenses.

With that in mind, I would not choose either the 35mm Summicron-SL ASPH (a rebadged Panasonic 35 f1.8) or the 24-70 (a rebadged Sigma 24-70 f2.8).  If those are the only options in your budget, I would get the original Panasonic and Sigma versions and forgo paying the Leica premium.  This would leave more funds to get another Panasonic (maybe the 50mm f1.8) or another Sigma option.  Watch the March 2023 Red Dot Forum Camera Talk presentation on the 35mm and 50mm Summicron-SL lenses to see how similarly they perform to the Panasonic versions (IMHO, close enough to not be worth the Leica rebadge premium).

My own take is that I knew from the start I wanted at least one APO-SL lens and if I settled for anything less, I would always wonder how the APO would perform compared to what I settled for.  Alas, I also don't believe in half measures so although my primary motivation for picking up a SL2-S was to use M-mount lenses, I ended up waiting and waiting and eventually finding excellent bargains on a used 35 APO-SL (as my first autofocus lens) and a 50 Summilux-SL (both in new condition and at less than half the regular retail price).  My rationalization for these two choices is the 35 APO-SL and the 50 Summilux-SL are touted as among the best 35 and 50 mm lenses ever made by any lens manufacturer.

Sure, no one needs a Leica to make good photos but if you are already in the Leica system, my thinking is to get the best lenses possible, or else what's the point?

* usual disclaimers apply:
- to each their own
- work within your budget

Absolutely agree with everything (SL2-S, APO 35 SL and APO 75 SL)

• Like 2

If you shoot people, the APO lenses are only good for young people. they show too many skin details otherwise.

For other applications, it is nice to see all the details too. But then you may still want a lens that is vintage with little character and can get a summilux-M

13 hours ago, huwm said:

… but surely you have to have one APO?

😆 The SL is also the best platform with an EVF for M lenses, and that is why I am eyeing one - to use with my 35/50 Luxes, the 21 SEM and the 90 Elmarit-M. For convenience, Bad Weather etc Pana/Sigma would do. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, APO is the better lens but will people notice if a good photo was shot with an APO or a non-APO? Save yourself the money and weight I'd say. 

If a "good photo" is your main objective and you want to save yourself money and weight, get a Q2/3, Sony A7rV or a Fuji XT5 or any other camera system. 

Will people notice if your 'good photo' was taken with a Leica even?

To me, the main reasons to get into the SL line are:
- to adapt M lenses as optimally as possible
- to use class-leading, Leica designed lenses (Summilux, APO's, zooms, etc., not the "re-badged" Panasonic or Sigma versions)

I'm showing my own bias here, but if you aren't doing the above two, there's no rational reason to get an SL, save for vanity and bragging rights and there's nothing wrong with those two reasons.  Again, to each their own.