Sigma 24mm f/2 vs 24mm ART f/1.4

Dr. G

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone compared the image quality on a high MP sensor of the newer 24mm ART lens to the 24mm i series f/2 lens?  I am planning to get the SL3 this week and am not a 28mm shooter, so I want the highest resolving 24mm with AF that's available in L mount.

I don’t understand what you mean by highest resolving lens. There is not an L mount lens made that any sensor will put resolve. Each lens, especially different maximum aperture, will have different characteristics.

40 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

I don’t understand what you mean by highest resolving lens. There is not an L mount lens made that any sensor will put resolve. Each lens, especially different maximum aperture, will have different characteristics.

Sorry, I was implying which is sharper and renders more small details with microcontrast.  Although neither is an APO lens, I like doing high contrast, high detail black and white photography.  I found that on my SL2 the APO Summicron-SL lenses gave a very different look for that purpose than when I used them on my SL2-S.  But Leica doesn't make a 24mm APO Summicron-SL.  So I'm looking for something that approaches that level of sharpness and microcontrast in an AF 24mm lens.  I would go with the 21mm APO, but I find that for the times I will be doing enviornmental portrature 21mm has more stretching of subjects than I like.  

58 minutes ago, Dr. G said:

Sorry, I was implying which is sharper and renders more small details with microcontrast.  Although neither is an APO lens, I like doing high contrast, high detail black and white photography.  I found that on my SL2 the APO Summicron-SL lenses gave a very different look for that purpose than when I used them on my SL2-S.  But Leica doesn't make a 24mm APO Summicron-SL.  So I'm looking for something that approaches that level of sharpness and microcontrast in an AF 24mm lens.  I would go with the 21mm APO, but I find that for the times I will be doing enviornmental portrature 21mm has more stretching of subjects than I like.  

Either one will suit your needs.

On 3/5/2024 at 3:46 PM, Dr. G said:

From the same photographer location the people and objects shot with a 21 mm lens will look exactly the same like with the 24 mm lens, no ‘more distortion’. The 21 just has bit more total view angle.