Anyone try the Sigma 16-28 f/2.8?

Dr. G

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm still looking for a wide lens option for my kit.  I currently own the following lenses:

35, 50, 75 APO Summicron-SLs, 50mm Summilux SL.

I have the Sigma 20mm f2 and 24mm f2 that just arrived from B&H and I haven't opened them yet, but I don't shoot wide that often and I'm thinking maybe a zoom would be a better option for the wide end.  I have the Laowa 10mm f/2.8 on order, but that lens is primarily going to be a special use lens.

The Sigma 16-28 seems like an interesting choice, it will gap well with either the 35 and 75, or the 50.  Has anyone tried it and what are your impressions in terms of optical quality, distortion  and resulting images?

Yes and I switched to 16-35 S Pro as I wanted 35 and didn’t need f2.8

Optically it was a fine Sigma lens etc but I have found I prefer Panasonic 

The 16-35 has become a favourite, I love the focus clutch and to me it also just looks like it belongs on the SL2 S

• Like 1

I have not tried the Sigma 16-35 but I own the 14-24 Sigma Art L mount 2.8.

It is simply superb and the only zoom I own for the SL2 - my other are primes ( 35 and 90 APO’s ) and a great compliment.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, proenca said:

I have not tried the Sigma 16-35 but I own the 14-24 Sigma Art L mount 2.8.

It is simply superb and the only zoom I own for the SL2 - my other are primes ( 35 and 90 APO’s ) and a great compliment.

Is the 24mm end well corrected for off axis perspective distortion compared to a prime?  I use 24mm for environmental portraits at times.  I’m not sure if zooms exaggerate it or not.  

Posted (edited)

Greetings.  I have been testing this lens for the last 10 weeks and so far, it has performed very reasonably.  Please find below a monochrome version of a re-post in a different thread, here.  It is important, however, to highlight several constraints that faced me when I decided to acquire this particular lens.  Because of age, I can no longer carry more than one lens in the day's walk.  While the Sigma 16-28 is very reasonable weight-wise, the absence of the 35mm focal length sometimes became a minor concern with one lens; but mind you, I didn't complain when using the Q2.  Further, because of operational and stylistic preferences, I find it extremely difficult to work with a lens without a filter thread and a UV filter on it.  In addition to finger-stamping the filter several times a day while handling the camera/lens in and out of the bag, I require easy use of ND filters (please see the photo below); the Haida rear lens filters solution is a bit alien to me.  The specter of stamping the front element without a filter--as will likely be the case with the other models--is a risk that I don't want to deal with, hence, eliminating a lot of other worthy options mentioned here.   I don't expect this lens can compete with the Leica Super Vario Elmar SL 16 - 35, but its performance is very adequate particularly at its wide side.  This is not to mention its constant f2.8 aperture, its price, its some weather sealing at the mounts, and again, its weight.  Of course, YMMV, but enjoy in good health.          

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ibramr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1