Thypoch's new Eureka 50mm f/2 continues the collapsible trend

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Paying hommage to Taylor-Hobson 50mm /f2 collapsible "2 inch" anastigmat, a new Thypoch Eureka 50mm f/2 was leaked. Collapsible lenses seem to be all the rage now. I still detest them from my first IIIc when I was a kid. And infinity lock is there as well (sigh).

50mm focal length, Double Gauss design (3+3)
1 ED, 1 HRI glass
Leica M mount
f/2 ~ f/16
43.2mm (Full Frame) image circle
6 elements in 4 groups
1m Close Focus
Length: 41.2mm/1.6" (Extended), 27mm/1.1" (Retracted)
12 iris blades
Comes with UV filter, A36 lens hood, front lens cap, rear lens cap
Made of Aluminum Alloy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Paying hommage to Taylor-Hobson 50mm /f2 collapsible "2 inch" anastigmat ......

Was it that good? I thought it had rarity value rather than anything else.

And Voigtlander is going collapsible APO:

(From Photorumors): Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 50mm F3.5 VM

Adopts an apochromatic design that brings the axial chromatic aberration of RGB, which makes up the three primary colors of light, as close to zero as possible. A high-performance lens with a stylish appearance and an open aperture of F3.5 has been realized.

(Also available in rigid version).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Adopts an apochromatic design that brings the axial chromatic aberration of RGB, which makes up the three primary colors of light, as close to zero as possible. A high-performance lens with a stylish appearance and an open aperture of F3.5 has been realized.

There seems to be some confusion on the interwebs whether or not these actually collapse.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I dunno, f3.5?  Difficult to want that one.

11 minutes ago, Danner said:

I dunno, f3.5?  Difficult to want that one.

0.35m close focus with a 50mm Apo lens could lead to some very interesting close up shots. The magnification is going to be pretty good on this one it seems. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

One of the most dumb designs possible from Cosina if this is true. Rigid "collapsible looking" 50mm f/3.5... Makes the old Heliar VM 50/3.5 look like a masterpiece. But hey, they must know better.

Agreed. As for the f3.5 aperture Danner was mentioning, I’m not bothered by it as my favourite Nikon lens is the 55mm f3.5 Ai. I’m definitely getting the rigid version of this lens

Taylor and Hobson 2 inch f 2 Anastigmat which came with my Reid IIIa, shown below. 

Another view from another example downloaded from the internet. These are both LTM type mount. 

I would not collapse one of these on a digital M camera to which they can be attached via an adapter, even if I got reassurances.  Can we assume that the 'lookalike' lens will be capable of being so collapsed ? I would have no interest in the 'new lens' anyway, as the one I have is very good for both film and digital. 

William 

• Like 2

Regarding the Voigtlander, If it doesn’t collapse it would be a bit weird but it does come with one benefit. With the smaller front diameter there will be less viewfinder blockage with type 1. Thypoch’s design looks nice but infinity locks are just an annoyance imo. 

Edit: I was thinking of 35mm lenses for some reason. With the 50mm the frame line obstruction will probably be irrelevant with either model.

Edited by costa43

Is it just me who is being confused by which lens is being discussed in some of the posts in this thread?

In the OP the lens intended to be 'Under Discussion' was the Thypoch 'TTH 2-inch f2.0' lookalike release. By post #5, however, it seems that the Thypoch lens has been almost completely forgotten and, subsequently, the majority of posts are discussing the Voigtlander 50mm f3.5 APO-Lanthar.

I am more guilty than most for going off-topic - so can hardly make noises when folk in other threads do likewise - but usually only once the OP has been (almost) exhausted. We are currently up at post #19 yet apart from the image included in the OP not one post has added to the info contained in the OP.

Has anyone else got anything else to add with respect to the Thypoch TTH reissue? Because that's what I - for one - would be interested to discover here in this thread; not stuff concerning the Voigt. 50 3.5 Apo.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can contribute accordingly!

😺

Philip.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pippy said:

Is it just me who is being confused by which lens is being discussed in some of the posts in this thread?

In the OP the lens intended to be 'Under Discussion' was the Thypoch 'TTH 2-inch f2.0' lookalike release. By post #5, however, it seems that the Thypoch lens has been almost completely forgotten and, subsequently, the majority of posts are discussing the Voigtlander 50mm f3.5 APO-Lanthar.

I am more guilty than most for going off-topic - so can hardly make noises when folk in other threads do likewise - but usually only once the OP has been (almost) exhausted. We are currently up at post #19 yet apart from the image included in the OP not one post has added to the info contained in the OP.

Has anyone else got anything else to add with respect to the Thypoch TTH reissue? Because that's what I - for one - would be interested to discover here in this thread; not stuff concerning the Voigt. 50 3.5 Apo.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can contribute accordingly!

😺

Philip.

Although I am not an admin of this thread nor responsible for its content, I will surely add cool stuff to your liking when the lens comes out. I did feel (almost) exhausted by just having to read "OP" so many times and I do apologize if the content of this thread is not to your liking, Sir. Patience, you will be back on topic in no time.
Right, that Voigtlander 50 3.5 APO realy is something else 😄...

Edited by Al Brown
  • Haha 1