How to stop overthinking this whole lens thing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, pippy said:

Why do you have so many batteries?

Philip.

I wanted 3 batteries per M10, I have all five M10 camera models, but I stopped at 14, one short. 

I have been using these cameras for a little over 6 years now, (The first one I purchased) I plan on using the M10s for another 5 to 6 years, often times when I travel these days I bring 8 or 9 batteries with me without a charger for a couple of weeks. 

Batteries are on rotation, I think the way I use them these batteries should last longer than I'll own the cameras, that's the plan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, patrickcolpron said:

The only cure to overthinking camera gear is to stop browsing camera forums, review sites and watching the latest camera rumours and YouTube reviews, it is to concentrate on making photos with what you have now in your hands, and sharing these photos with friends and family. 

Ironic, given your own 1.5+ hour YouTube lens review. 🤪

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, patrickcolpron said:

If you'd watch it, you'd realise this lens review is not about the lens at all, but why you shouldn't buy any new camera gear 😉  

You cannot use all the hotshoe items at the same time... there is one body missing.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

You cannot use all the hotshoe items at the same time... there is one body missing.

I only have two hands and only use one camera at a time anyways 😉 Funny you counted, there are more than two SF60 flashes,  not all on the photo, I have 3 of these spirit levels and was going to purchase one more Visoflex Type 20 only to stop myself since I don't use them at all anymore, so seldom it was silly to purchase four of them. I am financially irresponsible... 

Off topic but I watched your video Patrick on the family tv no less.  A feature film on the steel rim and all other points raised is my cup of tea, my wife was shaking her head a lot but I enjoyed it 😃. Thank you for the effort! I enjoyed your candid street photography too. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, costa43 said:

Off topic but I watched your video Patrick on the family tv no less.  A feature film on the steel rim and all other points raised is my cup of tea, my wife was shaking her head a lot but I enjoyed it 😃. Thank you for the effort! I enjoyed your candid street photography too. 

Thank you, greatly appreciated. My wife shook her head a lot watching it too 😉 she never finished it all 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/23/2024 at 4:13 PM, JoshuaRothman said:

Have any of you gone through this kind of a process? I'm not saying that this is the best, only, or ideal way to navigate the M system. But I wonder if anyone else finds themselves in the middle of their own six-step program....

This is so embarrassing. I relate to this totally 🤦‍♀️ the stages of GAS, not specifically Leica, and actually not just photographic gear. However, I do learn a lot, find out what works best for me, then sell or trade or give away

Edited by FlickM
  • Like 2

I admit I am in the trap as well. Even though I am aware that non of my lens acquisitions has really improved my photography.

I started with Leica M about 30 years ago with a M6 and 35 90 lenses, older used lenses. Later added a 21mm lens...

When digital photography started things went out of control. I added 24 and 28mm lenses, 75 and 135, Noctilux was bought and sold, Apos...

Once you have the "perfect" APOs you start to look for lenses with some imperfections,...

Its fun in one way but also GAS and can get in the way of simplicity.

If I had to reduce I would probably rather go for the high quality lenses, APOs, and maybe one lens with a little less sharpness for portraits. But then before APO-M lenses were available I never missed them or were unhappy with image quality.

• Like 1

The desire to "buy something new" that increases the overall motivation to go out (if you have a low) comes and goes YoY. Initially I thought I would be happy with only one 35mm. Then I thought, my composition might improve with a 50. Now I think 28 could be better than 35 (as I remember it from my Q back in 2016)... and so on and so on. Doesn't matter how much you try to convince yourself the one lens is enough, you will always trick yourself again and again. As soon as you purchased the new lens that should change it all, you might realize that everything stayed as before. But you stick with it as it is always better to have it than to need it, right? 😉 

Edited by Jewl
  • Like 2

On 2/25/2024 at 1:29 AM, patrickcolpron said:

I wanted 3 batteries per M10, I have all five M10 camera models, but I stopped at 14, one short. 

I have been using these cameras for a little over 6 years now, (The first one I purchased) I plan on using the M10s for another 5 to 6 years, often times when I travel these days I bring 8 or 9 batteries with me without a charger for a couple of weeks. 

Batteries are on rotation, I think the way I use them these batteries should last longer than I'll own the cameras, that's the plan.

Yes the amount of batteries is remarkable. I do not mind taking a charger, but then I would be able to charge at least at night with the way that I am traveling.

Why do you have so many Visoflexes? I have only one, that could be used on my TL2 , Leica T and on the M10 series.

And I have an old Olympus VF2 for my X2 which is compatible with the M240 series.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, dpitt said:

Yes the amount of batteries is remarkable. I do not mind taking a charger.

Why do you have so many Visoflexes?

5 batteries take less space in a travel bag than a spare battery with a charger and cable for the charger. It just simplifies my packing by a lot and saves space, it is easier to find a spot got a few small batteries than a charger and cable. At the cottage I keep a spare charger.  .

Also I intend to keep these cameras for a long time - having more batteries will help with the batteries' longevity, that's the idea.

The Visoflex question is a good one too, I wanted a Visoflex for each of the M10 except the M10-D, so four. But after the 3rd one I stopped buying them because I really don't use the Visoflex at all, instead using LiveView when I need to see what my composition is without parallax when photography someone or something close up. 

The amount of gear and accessories I have is ridiculous, I have a thumbs up and half leather case for all M10 aside from the M10-D. 

For me, everything was a write off, still money spent but deductible. 

• Like 2

Wow Patrick, I always though to have too much camera gear, but looking at the image showing your M-collection makes me feel better 😉

You say you use them all, but why do you want so many bodies?

Regarding batteries, I love that many cameras today can be charged with usb-c, same like my iphone, my ipad and my notebook.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

Wow Patrick, I always though to have too much camera gear, but looking at the image showing your M-collection makes me feel better 😉

You say you use them all, but why do you want so many bodies?

Regarding batteries, I love that many cameras today can be charged with usb-c, same like my iphone, my ipad and my notebook.

Glad I could make you feel better with just the Leica gear, I won't show you the Nikon and Canon kits then .... ;)

When I purchased the M10, it was so good I decided I was going to buy all variants of the M10 model thinking there was going to be an M10-D and an M10-Monochrom, alas there was 5 different models with the M10-P and M10-R... The plan was just to upgrade the M10 to an M10-P which I did with my initial M10 and have 2 more bodies, now I have them all.

Regarding the MP chrome and black paint, that's the way I used to shoot film back before digital, with one loaded with color film stock and one with black and white film stock. 

The problem with USB-C charging when it comes to many cameras is that you can't charge it while using it, this is true with the M11 and it makes me laugh every time I hear a youtuber stating they can keep shooting while charging their M11, I guess they either never did use it that way or read the user manual (I did both) 

It is great to charge a battery overnight or while having lunch, I think USB charging is a great idea. This said on a good day, I'll eat through 3 batteries quickly.

On a normal day I'll use about 35% of a battery, and I have often made more than 2000 pictures on one M10 battery. To have one's lithium battery last longer have 3 to 5 of them and rotate them, they will last way longer than using only one battery.

To further expand, I am a bit peculiar whereas I like having each piece of equipment and its accessories to be completed on their own if that makes any sense, this is why I also have so many half leather cases, thumbs up and other related stuff. I do have 7 Artisand and Artist ACAM 100 straps, one for each camera. I also purchased and extra 46mm pinch cap for my New Steel rim whereas I could have used one from another lens, i.e. the 35 Lux FLE on which I now have put an APO 35 metal cap which fits perfectly on it when you on't use the lens hood for it...

I am strange in this manner, this said I know a couple of people who have way more Leica bodies and lenses than I do and suffer from the same affliction where each kit is complete on their own. I am not the only one.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, patrickcolpron said:

Also I intend to keep these cameras for a long time - having more batteries will help with the batteries' longevity, that's the idea.

Regarding batteries, you seem like a heavy user. i never had a day yet that I needed more than one fully charged one for my M9 + a spare.
This is a good thing for your batteries, because from experience with laptop batteries, I can say that regular use is often much better than minimal use.

I had a colleague that used to charge/drain his battery every day. He came to work, worked on battery until it was empty and then recharged. His battery lasted longer than mine which was only used when needed. Fully charged and branched in 80% of the time.
I think the best use is somewhere in the middle. Charge and drain every few days between 20% and 80% seems to be optimal. Long term storage should preferably not be done empty and also not when fully charged.

PS: I would not mind helping you with your surplus of M10 variants. 😉

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 2

@patrickcolpron You have an absolutely incredible collection of gear—incredible in both senses, simultaneously 'Wow!' and 'I can't believe it!'

I have a little bit of your syndrome as well: I have three M cameras—M10, M10M, M6—and part of my GAS has involved building lens lineups for each, in part so that I can have the cameras ready to go at all times. For example, I really like how the 35mm Cron v3 renders on my M10M, so I have it mounted on that camera by default, with a yellow filter. And I like how the New Steel Rim renders on my M10, so it tends to sit on there. That's one of the main reasons I own more than one 35mm lens—although I also like the way the Cron renders on the M10, so I am sometimes taking advantage of multiple renderings. 

I'm still on the fence about my overall approach. But partly through reading this thread, I'm realizing that my questions probably aren't ultimately related to my photography, as such. It's a broader thing having to do with the balance of interests in my life. I've been obsessed, more or less, with M cameras and lenses for a couple of years now, and I think I'd like to ease off and focus elsewhere. Partly because it's an expensive hobby, partly because I'd like to develop new obsessions, and partly because I'm just . . . bored of thinking about it.

Shaking things up probably doesn't require selling my gear—instead, I just need to invest energy in other areas and start generating returns there. Probably, I should also spend a lot less time on this forum!

On 2/25/2024 at 2:15 AM, patrickcolpron said:

If you'd watch it, you'd realise this lens review is not about the lens at all, but why you shouldn't buy any new camera gear 😉  

Sorry, but I don’t have that much time on my hands. But if it takes you an hour and 42 minutes to make that point, then I’d guess that you have issues with downsizing and simplification. More irony. 🤪

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Sorry, but I don’t have that much time on my hands. But if it takes you an hour and 42 minutes to make that point, then I’d guess that you have issues with downsizing and simplification. More irony. 🤪

Jeff

Don't have that much time on your hands, that's really ironic coming from someone with over 21,900 posts on an online forum :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2