M-P 240: Multi-functional handgrip not working

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All

I have purchased 2nd hand for some time a multi-functional handgrip for my Leica M-4 (240) which I have been using just as a handgrip.

Just recently I have noticed that its actual "multi-functionality", which I would need now, does not actual work : 1) connecting the camera with a USB cable to my laptop for viewing the pictures 2) triggering my flash with the SCA connector which I also have.

Question: do I need to turn on the grip in some way? does the camera detect the grip, and if yes, what should change in camera's display? can it be a camera issue or a grip issue? I have not tested the GPS functionality which I do not need, but how would you see that it is actually working, if at all?

Thank you for sharing any experience,  

Cristian 

I don't have this grip but do have the M240.  There is a receptacle in the base of the camera with electrical contacts that mates with contacts in the grip.  You might check both sets of contacts for damage or corrosion.

There is no on/off switch.  Once attached there will be an indication on the rear lcd for gps at the bottom of the screen below the exposure compensation indicator, this is the only way to determine if it is powering up other than attachments as you have tried.  I've never had issues with extremely limited use, the gps' abilitly to connect and remain connected is poor, the indicator will tell you if the camera is receiving or not.  

There are some settings in the menu you can only choose if the grip is detected. GPS for example. But I guess that not necessarily indicates that the grip is fully functional. I have three of them and discovered now that at one the flash sync port don't work any more. This one I bought new with my first M 240 nine years ago. Worked well for years.

On 1/26/2024 at 7:28 PM, kristyansen said:

Just recently I have noticed that its actual "multi-functionality", which I would need now, does not actual work : 1) connecting the camera with a USB cable to my laptop for viewing the pictures 2) triggering my flash with the SCA connector which I also have.

try cleaning the contacts on the MFG and your 240 with some isopropyl alcohol  

Just confirming that you have the 14495 verse 14496

Leica Multifunctional Handgrip M for M (Typ 240), M-P (Typ 240) 14495

verse

Leica Handgrip M for M Monochrom (Typ 246), M (Typ 240), M (Typ 262), M-P (Typ 240) Body, Black Paint (14496)

13 hours ago, Sandokan said:

Both work on the 240, only colour is different.

True, 

both fit and work BUT both are NOT Multi functional .

One is just a grip, the other includes the GPS function….

So the difference is quite large despite both fit a color is different 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have of course the multifunctional handgrip.

I have noticed meanwhile that there is an issue with the base plate of the M240 - the connector to the multifunctional grip has disconnected in some way - not sure though if it is worth the Leica service just for this issue.

Not even sure that the M240 (even if the connect works) can be connected or ideally tethered (which was my final goal) to a recent Macbook Pro and Lightroom.

I got it "semi-tethered" with CaptureOne. IIRC I'd open a Session in C1 and used the old Leica-Image Shuttle to drive the camera. I defined the Input folder of the C1 session as hot-folder in LIS. Couldn't drive the camera directly out of my old C1 (v 7). May be this is possible with newer versions of the software?

So I had to wait a second after release to see the picture in C1. Was OK for me.

• 4 weeks later...

@fotomas Thank you Fotomas, since there may be some software compatibility issues, could you please also share what Operating System, what laptop model, and what Leica Image Shuttle version you are using? This would be super useful, thank you in advance.

@kristyansen It was quite while ago, that I've done it and I used a old 3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Xeon Tower MacPro under MacOSX 10.6.8. with Leica Image Shuttle 2. CaptureOne was 7.2.2. Guess they have newer software now for that, but I don't know.

On 1/26/2024 at 7:28 PM, kristyansen said:

Question: do I need to turn on the grip in some way? does the camera detect the grip, and if yes, what should change in camera's display? can it be a camera issue or a grip issue? I have not tested the GPS functionality which I do not need, but how would you see that it is actually working, if at all?

i recently had to use the MFG for a studio shoot.

for whatever reason the PC sync only triggers the flash in continuous shooting mode (doesn't work in single mode). i used a wifi SD card for viewing images on the laptop