Leica S 007 what is the latest firmware update and can we use the firmware for the S3?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone, I'm on version 5 for the firmware. Has there been any more updates?

Could I use the firmware for the S3. 

I am experiencing a bug when I shoot portraits. Everything is running fine and then suddenly the camera decides to overexpose shots. Not sure why. I have to the turn off the camera and reset it. Normally I am working on 1/500th at F5.6 and the metadata for the overexposed images is the same as the ones for the correct images. 

Would send examples, but only just done the shoot and the client is confidential. 

Thanks!

Firmware is specific to the respective model, so no, you cannot. Leica even has different firmware for different versions of the M10, like M10D, M10, M10P, M10R, M10M ... 

Is the ISO of your overexposed shots as well identical and is the lighting identical? Do you use flash, and if, which one and how? Lots of variables to rule out before we can be sure it is the camera's fault.

Check your lens, my zoom aperture stopped working (wide open all the time) and took a trip to Solms (as it was then) - are the overexposed shots about 2.5 to 3 stops over (you have not said which lens) i.e. the difference between f5.6 and wide open?

john

If you change the aperture for that lens and put your shutter speed to 1s, can you see the aperture closing to the dialed-in number by looking into the lens from the front side when attached to the camera?

• Like 2

Here is a screen shot of the two files. Literally taken quickly after each other. The one of the right has exactly the same settings. I'm using Profoto flash. Nothing changed not he flash. I can only assume that the Lens has a fault. It makes a sound, forces me to refocus (even though I am in manual focus) and then gives me a much brighter exposure. 

Sorry can't show the whole image. This person hasn't seen their portraits yet. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

36 minutes ago, Nick Guttridge said:

I was using the 70mm CS Lens. The ISO was 200, F5.6 1/500th a second. I'm doing fine everything working. Then the lens makes some noises and suddenly I get overexposed shots. With exactly the same settings. I better check how to update the software on the lens.

I suspect the camera-lens interface. Try re-seating the lens, maybe the electronic contacts didn't fully line-up. It wouldn't hurt to clean the lens contacts. You probably don't need anything stronger than lens cleaner, but 99% isopropyl alcohol is also effective for removing stubborn gunk. Do not use 70% isopropyl (aka "rubbing alcohol").

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Photon42 said:

@Nick Guttridge you did not answer my earlier question. I am trying to figure out whether the aperture of the lens closes. Do you have any other lens available? Your Profotos are on manual, I suppose?

Hi, The aperture closes normally when I start shooting. I'm going to do some more tests to try to catch the camera out when this problem happens. It has occurred on about four other occasions. I normally shoot tethered, with manual focus (using the back focus button). Obviously when I shoot portraits I am having to manually focus on the eye quickly and then recompose. When I shoot dance I like to focus and forget. As I'm shooting F8 or F11 and the dancer has to stay on their mark for the light. The camera is on a tripod. But even then occasionally the camera makes noises and forces me to manually refocus. I wish I could just force it to not change anything. I can use the key lock function but this is only for shutter speed and aperture and changing anything else in the menus. It doesn't include focus. But this is a slightly separate issue. Right now I am concerned with the lens. I'm going to clean all contacts and try again. Perhaps that is the source of the problem. Thanks everyone for your support.

1 hour ago, Photon42 said:

@Nick Guttridge you did not answer my earlier question. I am trying to figure out whether the aperture of the lens closes. Do you have any other lens available? Your Profotos are on manual, I suppose?

Forgot to mention that my flash is on manual, not TTL. I don't think there is even a sync for TTL for the S system and Profoto. I'm hoping this must be the contacts between lens and camera. 

That does sound to me more like a slow shutter or iris sticking more than a firmware bug, especially if the metadata is saying the settings are the same. If the meter was messing up and picking another speed, then that would be one thing, but if it is all manual and recorded properly in the metadata, it sounds more like a mechanical delay. The other option would be the strobe, but I guess you would have noticed that (if the brightness changed). Nonetheless, I would turn off the strobe and stand in front of the camera looking at the lens as you fire off a bunch of shots in a row. You will likely be able to see it if the lens is not stopping down correctly. Another thing to check would be depth of field...is it the same in the overexposed images? If the lens is stopping down properly and the DOF is unchanged in the overexposed shots, that could mean a slow shutter. You would likely be able to hear a change in the shutter sound though.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nick Guttridge said:

Hi, The aperture closes normally when I start shooting. I'm going to do some more tests to try to catch the camera out when this problem happens. It has occurred on about four other occasions. I normally shoot tethered, with manual focus (using the back focus button). Obviously when I shoot portraits I am having to manually focus on the eye quickly and then recompose. When I shoot dance I like to focus and forget. As I'm shooting F8 or F11 and the dancer has to stay on their mark for the light. The camera is on a tripod. But even then occasionally the camera makes noises and forces me to manually refocus. I wish I could just force it to not change anything. I can use the key lock function but this is only for shutter speed and aperture and changing anything else in the menus. It doesn't include focus. But this is a slightly separate issue. Right now I am concerned with the lens. I'm going to clean all contacts and try again. Perhaps that is the source of the problem. Thanks everyone for your support.

The manual focus should be static...that is, it should not change at all if it is in manual focus, except for your intervention. If it is doing so, I would check to see the sleep timer for your camera. If the camera is going to sleep while you are adjusting something, then when it turns back on it will rack the focus back and forth, which is something the camera does every time it turns on. The S has very good battery life so you should be able to increase the auto-off time to a longer period and see minimal impact.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

That does sound to me more like a slow shutter or iris sticking more than a firmware bug, especially if the metadata is saying the settings are the same. If the meter was messing up and picking another speed, then that would be one thing, but if it is all manual and recorded properly in the metadata, it sounds more like a mechanical delay. The other option would be the strobe, but I guess you would have noticed that (if the brightness changed). Nonetheless, I would turn off the strobe and stand in front of the camera looking at the lens as you fire off a bunch of shots in a row. You will likely be able to see it if the lens is not stopping down correctly. Another thing to check would be depth of field...is it the same in the overexposed images? If the lens is stopping down properly and the DOF is unchanged in the overexposed shots, that could mean a slow shutter. You would likely be able to hear a change in the shutter sound though.

Hi Stuart, here is a screen shot. Looks like it is lens issue with the iris sticking open. The focus is much softer on the second overexposed image. Must be wide open. But the metadata is the same. So either dirty contacts or a problem internally with the lens. The lens has been serviced fairly recently with Leica with a new autofocus motor fitted. So I'm surprised by this. I do shoot alot though. Many thousands of frames a day. About once a week. Thanks for your support. 

The other question is that when it starts overexposing, does it continue to overexpose until you reset the camera? Can you see any difference in the aperture? If it continues to do it until you reset the camera and you cannot see any difference in the aperture, that then does sound like something more software based. If that is the case I would contact Leica CS in Germany directly, explain the problem. Best if you call, not email. In my experience they have been quite responsive to S system errors like this. I had a problem with the S006 where the camera would refuse to fire when turned on, but only outside. After a minute or so it was fine. So it was quite weird. It turned out that it was a bug based on the GPS satellite detection. Because I was so far north in Iceland, it took longer to connect to the satellites, and the software code had mistakenly given priority to achieving that lock before I could take pictures. They eventually wrote a custom firmware for me that fixed the problem and then included it in the next firmware update.

2 minutes ago, Nick Guttridge said:

Hi Stuart, here is a screen shot. Looks like it is lens issue with the iris sticking open. The focus is much softer on the second overexposed image. Must be wide open. But the metadata is the same. So either dirty contacts or a problem internally with the lens. The lens has been serviced fairly recently with Leica with a new autofocus motor fitted. So I'm surprised by this. I do shoot alot though. Many thousands of frames a day. About once a week. Thanks for your support. 

Yes, that does look like it is stuck wide open. I had this issue occasionally with a 110mm f2 planar on Hasselblad. It had a lot of glass and not a lot of space for the iris in the lens barrel, so it managed to get stuck or slightly jammed at times, and it would cause overexposure like this. They CLA'ed it and it went away. You could find that you are in the same situation...perhaps a bit of oil on the blades etc. Unfortunately seems like a CLA is in order.

5 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

The other question is that when it starts overexposing, does it continue to overexpose until you reset the camera? Can you see any difference in the aperture? If it continues to do it until you reset the camera and you cannot see any difference in the aperture, that then does sound like something more software based. If that is the case I would contact Leica CS in Germany directly, explain the problem. Best if you call, not email. In my experience they have been quite responsive to S system errors like this. I had a problem with the S006 where the camera would refuse to fire when turned on, but only outside. After a minute or so it was fine. So it was quite weird. It turned out that it was a bug based on the GPS satellite detection. Because I was so far north in Iceland, it took longer to connect to the satellites, and the software code had mistakenly given priority to achieving that lock before I could take pictures. They eventually wrote a custom firmware for me that fixed the problem and then included it in the next firmware update.

It does continue to overexpose until I turn the camera off and restart it. The lens doesn't sort its self out on its own. I've just checked the contacts and they seem very clean. Not much wear on them. If it was the lens I would have thought the problem would be every now and again ruining my workflow. That in-between frames some will be correct and others with the Iris stuck open. Instead once it is stuck open I have to hope someone is looking at the computer screen to notice it. As I am often busy shooting to notice. I can end up with 20 frames overexposed.  I have sometimes just restarted the camera when I hear the lens open up fully.  If that makes sense. Which means I know to reset before continuing shooting. I better send off the camera and lens to Leica to test. Just so busy with work, I have to find ways to get around the issue. I may have to use my SL2 with 120mm S CS lens with adapter for while. 

Your lens isn't (always) closing down. I stated earlier how to check that. Get it serviced. There is a Profoto remote for Leica, but I do not know whether it is compatible with the S in TTL mode.

If you are using the CS shutter option it could also be that the shutter is sticking and not allowing the main shutter to close either. Not sure with those shutter speeds if you are using CS or HSL with the main. 

2 hours ago, davidmknoble said:

If you are using the CS shutter option it could also be that the shutter is sticking and not allowing the main shutter to close either. Not sure with those shutter speeds if you are using CS or HSL with the main. 

Hi, I'm using CS shutter at 1/500th of a second. I think the lens needs a service. I have to restart the camera to get rid of it. I'm hoping it isn't a camera issue. The lens is quite old and has done alot of work. So it would make sense. 

• Like 1