Request: APO SUMMICRON-M 35mm bokeh balls

Lesslemming

Advertisement (gone after registration)

May I ask a favour from the crowd of lucky APO 35mm Users?

It interests me to see the change in shape of the bokeh balls from this lens when stopped down from 2.0 to say 2.8 or 5.6. What shape do the aperture blades produce? Could someone please post a series or point me in the direction where this was done before?

Thank you

34 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Shown here in studio shots compared to some other M lenses…

Jeff

Hi Jeff, 

I skipped through the video twice, but I couldn’t find anything that shows bokeh balls. They do compare sharpness between apertures, of course. Am I missing something?

16 minutes ago, Lesslemming said:

Am I missing something?

Yes. Appears in several places throughout… behind teddy bear. I used fast forward button and randomly stopped at about 51:20.  

Jeff

Here is one at f2, I'll stop by the same location this week to make one at f/2.8 and at f/5.6

This is not an indication of it's bokeh, generally the bokeh is more pleasing but should gibe you an idea  

The APO 35 has a pleasant bokeh, on the creamy side

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by patrickcolpron
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Yes. Appears in several places throughout… behind teddy bear. I used fast forward button and randomly stopped at about 51:20.  

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, but to be fair:

1.- The part you are referring to is showing the SL APO 35mm, not the M lens.

2.- The part showing the actual Summicron-M 35mm teddy bear images (around 45min.- 47min.) is aimed at sharpness on the nose and the crayons and the viewer barely gets to see the bokeh balls (that appear as sunstars for a brief second)

The only thing I am interested in knowing is if the balls retain their circular shape nicely when stopped down.

@patrickcolpronPatrick: Thank you, I appreciate it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Lesslemming said:

2.- The part showing the actual Summicron-M 35mm teddy bear images (around 45min.- 47min.) is aimed at sharpness on the nose and the crayons and the viewer barely gets to see the bokeh balls (that appear as sunstars for a brief second)

The only thing I am interested in knowing is if the balls retain their circular shape nicely when stopped down.

It’s probably there, but I can’t search through 2 hours to show.  The Leica guys love to show bokeh balls for every similar lens review, of which there are several regarding 35mm M lenses. If not here, it’s in another Camera Talk.

Jeff

3 hours ago, Lesslemming said:

Took me 2 min to scroll back to sequence with 35 APO M…see roughly 42:30 to 45:30, etc to see at least one segment regarding bokeh balls.  They discuss comparison to the 35 FLE, which is shown elsewhere in the video.

I find the topic amusing; frankly couldn’t care less about bokeh balls, which have never entered the discussion in my prior 50 years of photography until recently, and never when looking at any ‘worthy’ photos/prints, whether my own or others.  To each his/her own.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have never considered “bokeh balls” to be of much importance. The general appearance of background blur has always seemed more important; indeed, a major motivation of my adding the Leica M system was to be able to use the Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, with its most distinctive visual signature that includes that wonderful background blur. Having said that, one can, most certainly, find “bokeh ball” comparisons on relevant episodes of Red Dot Forum Camera Talk Live, on the you-tube, as already mentioned by Jeff S. Plus, also on you-tube, I believe that Mr. Leica, a.k.a. Matt Osborne, shows “bokeh ball” performance, when reviewing lenses.

Notably, for those who worship “bokeh balls,” the Cosina Voigtlander APO Lanthar lenses have aperture blades that were designed to shows very round bokeh balls, at specific aperture settings. I am not a professional photographer, but, if I were to be suddenly “discovered,” by a gallery owner or wealthy patron, who wanted “bokeh balls” in images, I would immediately order a Cosina Voigtlander 35mm APO Lanthar, to complement my 50mm APO Lanthar. I would, of course, with my resulting wealth, then get on a waiting list, for a “real” Leica APO Summicron-M 35mm ASPH, but I am not sure that the Leica APO would have better “bokeh balls” than the Voigt APO.

19 hours ago, Lesslemming said:

May I ask a favour from the crowd of lucky APO 35mm Users?

It interests me to see the change in shape of the bokeh balls from this lens when stopped down from 2.0 to say 2.8 or 5.6. What shape do the aperture blades produce? Could someone please post a series or point me in the direction where this was done before?

I'd like to see that too. Some close-ups of the aperture blades on the lens set to f/2.8, f/4 and f/5.6 would do the same job, because the bokeh balls in an image will have exactly that shape.

I'm often interested in seeing such images of other lenses as well, but they are usually hard to find. And if someone on YouTube shows the front of the lens while changing the aperture, they usually turn the aperture ring so fast that you don't have time to see what's happening.

4 hours ago, evikne said:

I'm often interested in seeing such images of other lenses as well, but they are usually hard to find. And if someone on YouTube shows the front of the lens while changing the aperture, they usually turn the aperture ring so fast that you don't have time to see what's happening.

As noted, just search the Red Dot Forum Camera Talk episodes.  There are now about 54 of them, many of which concentrate on lens reviews (Leica only), typically by focal length.  Each are 2 hours long, and many include tedious studio demonstrations showing bokeh balls at different aperture settings, from center to edge. 

Jeff

13 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I find the topic amusing; frankly couldn’t care less about bokeh balls

Edit: I decided not to engage further and not be difficult.

For those of you willing and interested in engaging in conversation about lenses, despite them being discussed ad nauseam by the red dot camera forum camera talk episode hosts: 

If any one of the proud owners would be willing to provide a quick and dirty set of bokeh balls from 2.0 to say 5.6 or point me to a source that indeed shows this, I would appreciate it. 

Edited by Lesslemming
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lesslemming said:

For those of you willing and interested in engaging in conversation about lenses, despite them being discussed ad nauseam by the red dot camera forum camera talk episode hosts: 

If any one of the proud owners would be willing to provide a quick and dirty set of bokeh balls from 2.0 to say 5.6 or point me to a source that indeed shows this, I would appreciate it. 

At roughly 44:30 - 45:00 in the video… at different apertures. 

Jeff

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

At roughly 44:30 - 45:00 in the video… at different apertures. 

Jeff

No. This section shows a progression of images with bokeh balls way in the background. The zoomed in section only shows the shape wide open, not stopped down. Barely enough to judge what shape they are. Why do you seek to discourage my simple request? 

51 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

As noted, just search the Red Dot Forum Camera Talk episodes.  There are now about 54 of them, many of which concentrate on lens reviews (Leica only), typically by focal length.  Each are 2 hours long, and many include tedious studio demonstrations showing bokeh balls at different aperture settings, from center to edge. 

Jeff

Thanks, I know, I've seen several of the videos before. But in general, I find it easier and faster to just watch a few images instead of watching or skipping through a whole video just to find what I'm looking for.

11 minutes ago, Lesslemming said:

No. This section shows a progression of images with bokeh balls way in the background. The zoomed in section only shows the shape wide open, not stopped down. Barely enough to judge what shape they are. Why do you seek to discourage my simple request? 

Sorry I took my time to try to help your search, even though I don’t share your interest.  No pause or zoom function on your device?  Other Camera Talk videos spend much more time on this, with close ups at every aperture but I don’t know if the 35 APO is included in those. I merely pointed you towards a potential source.  Shoot me if it’s not good enough. 

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jeff, I appreciate your effort but I said multiple times that the video you posted was not sufficient or did not show what I sought. Insisting that it does, that it surely must be available somewhere or pointing out that you don’t care is not as helpful as some of your other content and merely invalidates my curiosity. I don’t know why you feel you need to be this way with me.

It is okay not to know an answer to a question being asked or have the source at hand. It would also (hypothetically speaking) be okay to reject an example and ask for an additional example if a thing has been shown once before. That is why I specifically included owners of the lens in my initial address. 

I strongly second the comment from evikne. Thank you all for trying to help 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lesslemming said:

Best bokeh is realized when there is considerable separation between the subject and the background. This is a universal thing; not specific to the APO Summicron 35 ASPH.

Here is a seemingly wealthy you-tuber who reviews all of Leica’s latest and greatest, and who shows stopped-down images, with pinpoint light sources in the backgrounds:

This episode may not provide what you seek, but, it is a start. He has covered the APO Summicron 35 in his other episodes.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

Here is a seemingly wealthy you-tuber who reviews all of Leica’s latest and greatest, and who shows stopped-down images, with pinpoint light sources in the backgrounds:

A Swiss financial executive, named by a member here in a past discussion.  Very methodical, unlike many reviewers.

Jeff

• Like 2