Automatic Exposure Bracketing and Auto ISO Confused????

adelie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a bit confused about Automatic Exposure Bracketing and Auto ISO.

I am shooting with a Leica SL and the 24-90mm Vario Elmarit.

I am in Aperture Priority mode and I set exposure bracketing to 3 shots  (-1.0, 0.0, +1.0). I also set my ISO to a specific setting e.g ISO 400 or ISO 800 - NOT AUTO ISO.

When I do a bracketed sequence of three shots, the aperture is fixed say at f/5.6, The ISO is set say at 800 - the only remaining variable would be the shutter speed. So my 3 shots would be different based on the shutter speed - say 1/60sec, 1/125 sec, 1/250sec (just making these numbers up for this discussion).

My question, is this the correct way to do this? Of course I would try to use a tripod in most cases to eliminate camera shake and movement.

Should I leave the ISO setting on Auto so that it changes during the bracketed exposures. I was thinking that holding 2 of the variables constant (Aperture and ISO) would be the best way.

Any comments or discussion would be most helpful my friends.

John

Actually in a dynamic situation there is not really a reason to bracket exposure. Digital raw is quite good at recovering an occasional underexposed shot. The only thing to take care about overexposing, so switch on your zebra pattern ("Blinkies") to be able to pull back EV compensation on the front wheel in case of blown highlights. Forget about auto settings and bracketing. You are better at thinking than the camera is. If you want to be super precise (I like to be) display your histogram in the EVF and control your exposure by the EV compensation - my favourite method.

in fact this is far better than using bracketing, which slows down the camera, makes an intrusive rackety  clacking unless you use ES and wastes time in Lightroom as you have to select each single shot. 
In other words don’t rely on the camera deciding exposure; that is your job 

• Like 1