should I carry two cameras ?

jim sink

Hy, I went to a once in a lifetime West-US holiday back in June. My SL2-S broke down during arriving Grand Canyon in the middle of the trip 🫣, battery failure…. With no spare camera. Later the guys at Leica Los Angeles couldn’t fix it, even they tried their best, thanks again for your efforts!
So we made the best out of it and enjoyed the “Leica free time” as much as possible by using only the IPhone 13 Pro 🤷‍♂️. For me as a complete amateur it was ok-ish because the remaining travel documentation was made in this way. Sure from time to time I missed the SL2-S …

Back in 🇩🇪 I send the camera to Leica and got it back 3 months later. During this time I got a replacement SL2.

I cannot speak for anyone else but would I personally take a second body with me on the next trip? No, I wouldn’t.

So far my 5 cents.

A dozen years ago we took a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam.  I brought one body and two lenses. Early on the body failed and I when we stopped in Viennia I purchased a replacement.  To this day I continue to enjoy the shots I got with the new body.  Now I always travel with two bodies but have not had another one fail.  On a recent trip I had my mid-range zoom lens fail and had to shoot the rest of the trip with the long zoom.

For casual use I think backup equipment is unnecessary. But for paid work or that expensive "trip of a lifetime" I wouldn't be without it.

Am 22.12.2023 um 12:55 schrieb jim sink:

Should I trust my SL2 when it's the only camera I use on a job or should I always carry a back-up body ? I have a SL2s also but just trying to cut down on weight .

If I was working as a photographer (which I don't) I would always bring a backup.

As an amateur for my travel I usually bring a bigger camera and a smaller one. The smaller one could work as a backup but is also useful as an addition.

Don't forget that lenses can fail as well as cameras. 

But really-as a pro, backup is a must (at least for jobs that can not be repeated) IMO

I don’t carry two camera’s for just in case. I take two camera’s with a different function/way of seeing/film or digital. If something happens with one of them, I will probably be happy to concentrate on one way of seeing. 

• Like 2