Leica T vs TL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you have used both T and TL2, do you find big improvement on the TL2 in term of "keeper shots".  I love the feeling of holding/using the T but kind of wish I can get more shots in focus.  With a nice  trip coming up, thinking about selling the T and use that money to upgrade to TL2.  Please give me some insight if you have used both.  By the way I am not after IQ, or larger MP, etc... and will be using Leica 11-23MM lens for my travel.

Thank you in advance!

I had my TL2 first, and now picked up a T. So at the moment I have both...

It is early days to really make up my mind but this is what are my impressions after only a few test shots.

First the IQ at base ISO from the T is quite good. Almost the same as the TL2. Of course the TL2 gives you 24MP, but for most applications you could get the same results with the 16MP T.

I found the menu / firmware more limited on the T. Is the Left dial customizable like with the TL2 for example? I just need to invest a bit more time, I suppose. I work with manual lenses with adapter. Mostly M or R lenses, so until now it seems the TL2 is easier to set up for that.

When you use the EVF (020) the image is much better on the TL2. Seems to be higher resolution and better contrast and colors overall. That makes manual focusing easier too.

High ISO with the TL2 is obviously better, but for me that would not be a deal breaker for the T. I like to have a littel flash where needed.

HTH and YMMV of course.

I have the T, TL and TL2 cameras and I use them interchangeably and have no preference regarding image quality. Naturally the TL2  produces larger images, but not necessarily better in my opinion. All three cameras are running the latest firmware and while the TL2 is a bit more responsive, I don’t find it that much faster than the original T.

When the TL2 came out, there were a lot of comments regarding it being what the original T should have been.  Having used both versions for several years, I can say from experience that such comments are vastly exaggerated, bordering on the nonsensical. There is nothing wrong with the original T as long as it is patched to the last firmware version. 

I use the T’s along with a CL, SL2s, X113 and Q2 Ghost and the T’s are by far my favourites.

The original T with the 11-23mm zoom is an amazing, highly versatile piece of kit, especially in an urban environment. When I lived in Paris in 2016, that was my daily companion. I have the TL2 now (among other things), but the original T has pixel level acuity I don't see from the 24MP TL2, which requires a bit more sharpening in post.  Just one example of what you can do with this setup:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!