T/TL/TL2 image thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Second (sorry to do the flower thing), AWB, ISO 200, f/0.95 @ 1/3200 - not sure why I ended up with this combination, and perhaps a smaller aperture might have been smarter, but hey - quick shots to give people something to look at.

On focusing, if you're using something like a Noct wide open, despite the smaller sensor, focussing is still tricky. I tried the magnification, and it seems to work well to me. One thing that wasn't corrected in the camera at all (I'm not sure if anything is corrected in camera with M lenses) was purple fringing - it was there in abundance.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

John even the red/orange flower in the middle looks out of focus and the bootnek doesnt look as nice as if shot on the M fully open.

Please post more as this will help me make my mind up if I want to invest in one of these

Happy shooting

Hi Neil,

Will try to. To be honest, I just shot everything just now wide open to see what the out of focus areas looked like. I could have focused better, and my shot discipline was crap - but the images served the purpose I wanted. You can still get good depth of field (if that's what you're after), the colours and image quality is good, and lenses like the Noct punish poor discipline just as much as the M does :o

Not sure how you can look at an image and say your camera would do a better job unless you were there. Please, do not read more into these images than they warrant - by all means criticise the photographer. That's always fair.

I will, of course, now only post perfect images :rolleyes:

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I will, of course, now only post perfect images :rolleyes:

Cheers

John

Thats what I am talking about...............how does it feel in hand with the brick hanging off the end (I love the brick but sure otheres will cringe at the thought of the Noct on the T)

Just heard they now have the T in Malaysia so maybe pick on up next week

It feels like a Noctilux. I'm not sure what else to say - large and heavy. The camera grip seemed to support it and it didn't really bother me. If I was worried about that sort of thing, I wouldn't have the Noctilux in the first place.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
It feels like a Noctilux. I'm not sure what else to say - large and heavy. The camera grip seemed to support it and it didn't really bother me. If I was worried about that sort of thing, I wouldn't have the Noctilux in the first place.
I am 100% with you John.................I took a bashing when I was getting ready to buy my Noctilux and I love mine it is on my M 99.9% of the time:D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This time with the 18-56 zoom

• Like 5

A couple of shots taken this morning while finishing breakfast. Leica T with Vario Elmar T

• Like 6

It was cold this morning!

Summilux 35 ASPH (FLE), ISO100, 1/640 @ f/4

• Like 3

Charged the battery and went for a walk with the Noctilux 0.95 fitted. Out of camera JPEGS, everything auto (apart from aperture and focus, obviously), downloaded using Aperture (which I am not really that familiar with).

First, some late autumn, early winter colour.

AWB, ISO100, f/0.95 @ 1/500

Nice!

How are you finding focusing with the Noctilux? You seemed to have nailed it in this image but maybe not so much for the flower. I found it very difficult with the WATE, though the depth of field on it makes it very forgiving.

• Like 1

I was lazy, and it showed :o

I haven't really used the zoom much (it's small and nice in the hand, but not really what I got the camera for). So far, I've taken a small number with the Noct (because that was what I had in my bag yesterday). Last night I lined up the M lenses I had and thought about which ones I want to use with this camera - it's a nice spread (with rough equivalents of 22, 33, 42, 53, 75, 105 & 135), but they are all physically quite big!

So, it came down to three of my smaller lenses - 28, 35 & 50. I thought I'd give the 35 (FLE) a run, as I don't use it that much with my M9 or Monochrom.

I've learnt my lesson from yesterday, and I am holding off shooting wide open for the moment (in the winter light, it is very easy for soft images to look blurry and out of focus). So, I'm concentrating on sharpness, and using the x6 magnification for focusing. What I find interesting is that there is a "shimmer" around the in focus image (that's the only way I can describe it). The EVF is not the perfect tool for achieving accurate focus (I wish there was a fresnel ring or split image alternative), but the area of best focus is actually not bad - shimmer is what it looks like to me, a bit like Jaap's "pop" when focusing the M9.

Anyway, manual focusing is still my preferred option, and I will continue to work on it. There are worse things in life than working your way through Leica's very fine M primes on the new camera.

Cheers

John

PS - my apologies for not straightening the horizon on the above skyline image.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 3

What I find interesting is that there is a "shimmer" around the in focus image (that's the only way I can describe it). The EVF is not the perfect tool for achieving accurate focus (I wish there was a fresnel ring or split image alternative), but the area of best focus is actually not bad - shimmer is what it looks like to me,

Yes I noted the shimmer as well. With the WATE there was so much shimmering that it didn't make it too useful. I will try it with. 50mm or 90mm and see if makes it effective as a "simulated focus peaking" of sorts!

- Vikas

Thanks everyone for posting photos taken with the T. I'm trying to decide myself whether or not to take the plunge. I don't have any Leica glass. I do have a T and the 18-56mm zoom waiting for me at a local camera shop. I'm just trying to decide if the T is the right camera for me. I've played with the demo unit, which is very nice, but definitely a break from the traditional camera form factor. It's a lot of cash for a camera and one zoom lens. And the new viewfinder isn't cheap! But then again, it's Leica, so that's pretty much expected.

• Like 1

Summilux-M 50/1.4 ASPH (triggered using iPhone HotSpot) - out of camera JPEG

• Like 8

Having tried with the WATE the other day today I thought I'd try roughly the same scene with a 90mm Summicron. I consciously left both the wall and the books on the shelf over the last few days though people come and go and there may have been some changes.

All pictures are taken at f2. The ISO and shutter speed varies for the 1:1 close-ups.

• Like 4

From a walk in Manhattan today (23mm):

• Like 5

We happened to visit a temple today and I was glad I had the T with me. There seemed to be a special event going on. We only had a few minutes while waiting for someone else to turn up but I tried to make the most of it. For more pictures please go to Vikas M Gore | 20140531 Perumal T

If you visit the site, the last one is a video, also shot with a Leica T and Vario Elmar. Completely unedited and straight from the camera as you can get via Lightroom. I recommend that you turn the volume ALL THE WAY UP if you watch the video.

- Vikas

• Like 9

Thank you so much, Vikas - and for that video! I could see the beads of sweat on the drummers' foreheads - and the sound quality was quite good via my MacBook Pro.