Focus accuracy on 0.58 VF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone! 

I use mostly 28mm and 50mm. For that purpose i want to buy m6 or m7 with 0.58 viewfinder. I have already 1.4x magnifier. 

Some people said that focus accuracy on 0.58 is not good as other options. My question is that for example if i use 1.4x magnifier and 50mm on 0.58 camera, focus accuracy will be the same as on 0.85 VF without magnifier? Or 0.85 will be better for 50mm without magnifier? 

I ordered an a la cart MP nearly 10 years ago, just so I can get the 0.58 viewfinder. I very much prefer it over 0.72, or higher magnifications. Use it mostly with 28mm, 35mm and 50mm lenses, and occasionally with 90mm with no problems in focusing accuracy. I never had problems using it with my old f/1 Noctilux either (paper thin field of view at close distance). Others may have different experience, but practice (just like anything else) makes things better. I never liked magnifiers because they reduce the eye relief of the viewfinder, plus I really enjoy the very clear and easy view of the 28mm (and 35mm) frame lines. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smkoush said:

I ordered an a la cart MP nearly 10 years ago, just so I can get the 0.58 viewfinder. I very much prefer it over 0.72, or higher magnifications. Use it mostly with 28mm, 35mm and 50mm lenses, and occasionally with 90mm with no problems in focusing accuracy. I never had problems using it with my old f/1 Noctilux either (paper thin field of view at close distance). Others may have different experience, but practice (just like anything else) makes things better. I never liked magnifiers because they reduce the eye relief of the viewfinder, plus I really enjoy the very clear and easy view of the 28mm (and 35mm) frame lines. 

Thank you very much for your answer. I want to use magnifier for 50mm lens because I have a doubt that I can't focus correctly at wider apertures. But I will try to shoot without magnifier as well :) I don't know why, some people said that focus accuracy is not good with 0.58 VF, so I am confused to buy analog camera with 0.58 VF.

If you use 28mm for a significant proportion of your photography, a 0.58 magnification VF is vastly superior to the 0.72 (or 0.68 digital) VF, which are a significant compromise. In fact I bought a 0.58 MP many years ago in anticipation of getting a 28mm lens, which I ultimately acquired few years ago.  All I can say is I am glad I had the foresight to acquire a 0.58 VF Leica when I did. 

If you use a 35mm lens, you will also find it is a rare treat to use this on a 0.58. It will give you unaccompanied 35mm framelines (no 135), and is the only VF since the M2 to do so. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nemendes said:

Thank you very much for your answer. I want to use magnifier for 50mm lens because I have a doubt that I can't focus correctly at wider apertures. But I will try to shoot without magnifier as well :) I don't know why, some people said that focus accuracy is not good with 0.58 VF, so I am confused to buy analog camera with 0.58 VF.

Inaccuracy of 0.58 RF is for FL longer than 50mm. I would not use the 1.4x for 50mm, but I think it would come in handy for 75mm and longer.

• Like 1

Accuracy chart by Günther Osterloh, Leica M Advanced Photo School. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you  feel that you need a magnifier for focusing a 50 mm lens, even on 0.58, you really need to check whether you don’t need a diopter.
The 1.4 magnifier was introduced by Leica as an aid for the 135/3.4 Apo to replace the 1.25 which was meant for the 135/4.0. The use might be extended to 90 on the 0.58 viewfinder Although some people use it for shorter focal lengths, usually the drawbacks outweigh any improvement.

It was my understanding some years ago that the rangefinder base for 0.58 was shorter than 0.72, which translates into less "accurate", although not necessarily less easy to use. If that was wrong, somebody please correct me. I've only used 0.72 and 0.85, never a 0.58, which I understood was better suited to shorter focal lengths.

My first M was an M6TTL 0.58.  I got it for 35mm and 28mm lenses, where the wider field of view was beneficial, as I wear eyeglasses.  Sold it after a few years, and later rejoined the M-class, but with a 0.72 M6 this go-around.  The 0.58 is a bit  trickier to focus, as the patch and frames all appear smaller.  But, it never was an issue with the wider lenses (D.O.F. helps).  I did not like the 0.58 with the 90mm lenses, and even 50mm is considerably nicer with the 0.72 finder.

My 2¢

6 hours ago, spydrxx said:

It was my understanding some years ago that the rangefinder base for 0.58 was shorter than 0.72, which translates into less "accurate", although not necessarily less easy to use. If that was wrong, somebody please correct me. I've only used 0.72 and 0.85, never a 0.58, which I understood was better suited to shorter focal lengths.

You are right and you are wrong 🤔

The range finder base length of all M camera's is around 69mm. That makes it one of the most accurate RF systems ever made for FF. And it does not change for the different custom ordered VF magnifications.

But there is something called EBLIt is an indication of the accuracy of the rangefinder system. And EBL changes with the viewfinder magnification, so you have a point. 0,58 rangefinders EBL is 20% less than the 0.72 rangefinder. But then it still is as accurate as the Bessa R3 models, and twice as accurate as the Leica CL.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1