28mm for street photography who use 50mm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Primarily I have been shooting Street however not with the 50. I had a good understanding in the attributes of the 35 lens for Street Photography. I have several 35 mm lenses however I began using the 21 SEM because of its ability to shoot at close range, better for zone focussing and for its ability to include more environmental details. I worked between the 35 and 21 lens for quite some time before transitioning to the 28. I am settling on the 28 mm lens and finding that it's a great lens for my work.  

My first Leica M lens was a 50mm Summicron, bought 1985, other lenses followed, including non-Leica lenses,  from 15 to 90mm. My favourite lens for a couple of years already is the Elmarit 2.8/28 ASPH. Resolution and sharpness are legendary, furthermore, it is small, light and within the Leica lens family not costly. For me it is the ideal lens for travelling although sometimes I would prefer my 21 Elmarit, or even 18mm ZM Distagon. Most of my images posted here were made with 28mm Elmarit, I just returned from a trip to Japan and I had only one M-body with me and the 28mm lens. For my style of photography, including street,  it appears to me to be the perfect lens.

Edited by AndreasG
  • Like 2

I began my leica life back in 2007 using an M8 and a 50mm which, with the x1.33 sensor crop factor made the 50mm a 65mm (ish) equivalent.  I then acquired a 28mm lens along with a second M8.2 body which gave me a 35mm equivalent frame.  I used both these cameras and lenses for around 12 years shooting weddings and portraits and just about everything else, street etc for fun.  I then ditched digital, (and weddings) sold both M8's and now use an M7 along with an M6 almost exclusively with 50mm lenses on each, typically using one camera with colour and the other with B&W film depending on light.  I still have the 28 lens but have not used it now in years.  It seems that maybe the move to film and full frame has freed up a little extra field of view on a 50 and I'm happier with it.  Using film may have something to do with it as I tend now to take more time to compose a shot and 'use' the frame, possibly age too as I'm content to make do in the moment without hankering after new gear.  I suppose we all just find our own way of operating.