Unusual bands on some negatives from M3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A friend has an M3 and sent me some photo that have a light (dark on negative) vertical band towards one edge.  My first thought was light leak, but it does not appear on all negatives and also does not extend into the sprocket area of the film.  It is also pretty even, not diffuse.  I asked if he remembered if he was using a high shutter speed for those with the bands and he though he was at about 1/500 or 1/1000 for those.  I am thinking shutter problem but what I do not know.  At those speeds the shutter curtains form a narrow slit and maybe it is hesitating part way across causing this band?  Never heard of anything like that.  I told him perhaps he should run another roll through the camera at different shutter speeds and see if he can see any correlation.  I told him he might exercise the shutter a bit by running it through the speeds a bunch of times and see if that cures the problem. He is a new owner of this M3 and I suspect, knowing where it came from, it might have not been used for years before he got it. I have attached a few photos showing the band.  Maybe someone here can shed some light on this problem?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

From experiences that I have had with vintage high end quality cameras issues is percivernce/patience/testing and occasionally serendipity can play a big role in solving these surprising problems, with out having the inconvenience of massive financial commitment of repairing this would be my last resort . Self testing works for me, self diagnosis I have been more than happy with the results.

Just a thought, how much time elapsed between photographs with and without the light band?  Could it be a slight shutter curtain fault with light diffusing through?  If the film was not advanced for a while and the lens cap off, and then several photos taken quickly, the film which was behind the shutter for the longest time would likely have the light band, but those where the film was advanced quickly would not.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eclectic Man said:

Just a thought, how much time elapsed between photographs with and without the light band?  Could it be a slight shutter curtain fault with light diffusing through?  If the film was not advanced for a while and the lens cap off, and then several photos taken quickly, the film which was behind the shutter for the longest time would likely have the light band, but those where the film was advanced quickly would not.

Interesting idea.  I will ask him about it.  I imagine if he took the lens off and the back off and pointed a bright light at the shutter both cocked and uncocked he should be able to see if the curtains are compromised.

Aram, I don´t want to hijack your post, but you -or your friend- are  not alone:  I bought the camera ( New MP 52xxxx) three years ago in an official Leica shop. The stripes suddenly  appeared on my holiday films  and they are independent of the used shutter speed. In low light they are not that conspicuous .   I have checked everything possible ( for me, I can't dismantle the MP) and have no clue. My analysis: 

-No light on the sprockets-so no leak from the backdoor,  the lug-screws, the foam, the film transport lever, in short anywhere from behind or the take up cavity.

- that does not mean necessarily the shutter is the culprit, it could be a light leak is in front of the shutter.  The light causing the stripes would hit  the film in addition to the projected picture when the shutter is open, e.g. : rf-mechanism ? 

-- most likely your analysis seem to be the most likely explanation: something in the way of the shutter travelling its course. 

-- anyway; since Wetzlar announces a waiting time of ten month for analog bodies 😱, my Leica dealer has agreed to send it to an independent repair-shop. Shame on Wetzlar.    If you are interested, I'll let you know the solution of the riddle ( If I get to know it) if and when the MP is back.... 

K. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

since Wetzlar announces a waiting time of ten month for analog bodies 😱,

I suspect that the problem is recruiting technically competent engineers.  I understand that high-end makers of mechanical watches (you know who they are) have difficulties recruiting  suitably qualified watchmakers (I was told one has a severe month turnaround on repairs for one very famous brand).