Balck band on the side of the negative

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good morning everyone!

I'm having a problem with my M7, on my last trip in Morocco I’ve took some photos on Porta 400 with good results, except for a darker band on the left side of some frame and some vignettes on the corners. 
I'm more concerned about the band at the moment.

Have you already had a problem like that? 
in my opinion could be the shutter but the problem seems to appear just when I shoot colour film.

I’m kind of scared about a serious problem view the amount of electronic parts in the M7.

I can’t show any samples because of the 2,44 mp limit unfortunately:(

if you want you can go on my IG profile: randomcolora 

thank you in advance!

1 hour ago, Lorenzom7 said:

I can’t show any samples because of the 2,44 mp limit unfortunately:(

Can't you resize the image to a smaller size in photoshop or another image editing software (for instance Irfanview is a free download), I assume the black band will still be visibla when the image is downsized.

Thank you very much! Here you can see two examples, the darker band is on the left side of the frame.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Lorenzom7:

Thank you very much! Here you can see two examples, the darker band is on the left side of the frame.

Shutter curtains are traveling across the film window horizontally. The speed of the curtains should be the same over the complete 36mm ... which is not the case in your camera. My guess is that the curtains start a bit fast---hence the dark band--  and then travel with the correct-- or constant speed. 

A technician  can solve this problem, it´s common. 

Edited by Kl@usW.

The speed of the curtains traveling across the frame isn't constant - they speed up as they travel. So the "slit" or gap between the curtains also varies a bit, getting wider as the curtains move faster in order to keep a constant exposure. Leica had to refine the mechanisms to do this when they introduced the IIIa with 1/1000 top effective shutter speed.

This will be a mechanical issue, the M7 electronics simply control the interval before the trailing curtain begins to move. The problem will be more apparent at higher shutter speeds, so if you keep using the camera close the lens a bit to select a slower shutter speed and it likely won't be an issue. Since you used a 400 speed film in daylight you likely had about a 1/1000 shutter speed.

A good CLA will cure it.

• 1 year later...