Like soap bubble bokeh? The Chinese have you covered - TTArtisan 100mm f/2.8 is here and it is HUGE

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, soap bubble bokeh lovers, this big blac... this grand sombre monolith made of aviation grade aluminium is for you - for 210$ plus shipping in glorious Leica M mount.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, wda said:

When a background fights for attention in competition with the main subject,  then the picture fails.

I think with this lens, the background is meant to be the main subject. The foreground is just there to bring it out.

• Like 3

My first thought was that I am not “into” soap bubble bokeh, but, as Ray Vonn just indicated, this could, on occasion, be fun. I did allow myself the luxury of acquiring a pre-owned Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2 lens, a few years ago, not with such soap bubble bokeh in mind, but, the Thambar can be used to create such blur, with a suitable background.

I know that my Thambar is rangefinder coupled, enabling its use as a normal 90mm lens, especially if stopped-down, whereas the TTartisan site does not seem to indicate whether or not their Soap Bubble lens is rangefinder coupled. I did not see length or weight specifications, but the product images make it look quite large. I went to the B&H website, to look for the specifications, but B&H only lists the M42 version, which could differ, significantly. Notably, Alan, a reviewer of the M42 version, stated, “This is not a mission critical lens, but if one has time to make art it has promise.“

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1

I'd be very interested to see sample-images still shot wide-open but with a background which is in the domain of being more 'normal'. Also to see how it renders portraits - for instance - at around the  f4.0 mark. I've only had a brief look at the thing's spec. page and I saw no mention of Min. Focus although it IS possible to see 1.4m / 4ft engravings so perhaps we are going to be down at the 1.0m / 3,3" sort of region?

Curious lens!

Philip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RexGig0 said:

TTartisan site does not seem to indicate whether or not their Soap Bubble lens is rangefinder coupled.

The lens is apparently rangefinder coupled. It brings up 90mm framelines. Here is the picture with M cam.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, pippy said:

I'd be very interested to see sample-images still shot wide-open but with a background which is in the domain of being more 'normal'. Also to see how it renders portraits - for instance - at around the  f4.0 mark. I've only had a brief look at the thing's spec. page and I saw no mention of Min. Focus although it IS possible to see 1.4m / 4ft engravings so perhaps we are going to be down at the 1.0m / 3,3" sort of region?

Curious lens!

Philip.

The M42 version focuses to 3 ft/90cm.
Mister Reeve has additional sample pics plus the specs here. TTArtisan has also put the specs on their M version page, they are the same.

It appears there is a hard vignette though:

Edited by Al Brown
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:04 PM, Al Brown said:

Well, soap bubble bokeh lovers, ......

I woud say that whilst such distictive bokeh can be effective, it has to have the right subject matter in order to support, and not detract from, that subject matter. Rather like Petzval lenses and their oof characteristics (many example images are of very similar subject matter with sunlit dappled leaves as a background, which is fine up to a point, but soon stifles creativity) . At the pricepoint its a useful addition to capabilities, unlike its collectible ancestors which are now becomming very costly.

• Like 2