Like soap bubble bokeh? The Chinese have you covered - TTArtisan 100mm f/2.8 is here and it is HUGE

Al Brown

The pronounced 'Soap-Bubble' boke will only really be provoked when conditions are 'right'; i.e. when there are strong specular highlights in the background. At other times, as mentioned (and sort-of shown in picture 9) in the article by Phillip Reeve;

"It can not only create the bubble bokeh effect, but also the traditional dreamy soft glowy bokeh for portraits or other creative works, and that with quite good sharpness in the frame center, where it does matter for this lens’s applications."

Philip.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pippy said:

The pronounced 'Soap-Bubble' boke will only really be provoked when conditions are 'right'; i.e. when there are strong specular highlights in the background. At other times, as mentioned (and sort-of shown in picture 9) in the article by Phillip Reeve;

"It can not only create the bubble bokeh effect, but also the traditional dreamy soft glowy bokeh for portraits or other creative works, and that with quite good sharpness in the frame center, where it does matter for this lens’s applications."

Philip.

Indeed, same rules as for the donut bokeh for mirror lenses applies.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

I too find this to be a speciality lens that can definitely be fun.
and enjoyment is what photography is all about for me.
Furthermore, I agree that to get these pronounced bokeh bubbles, you'll have to make sure the conditions of the image are suitable.
I have been on the lookout for a triplet lens for a while now. The old ones are generally not in good shape and the ones from Meyer Optics Görlitz are too expensive in my book.

So, I did order one. It's not as if 135 EUR is prohibitive. I of course chose the M42 variant. Cheaper, less delicate to be correct since no rangefinder coupling and I do like to see what I'm photographing with such a lens. I own a camera I mainly use for my M42 lenses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1